Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Superacerc's Garage/Journal

('09-'13) 
309K views 3K replies 94 participants last post by  Superacerc 
#1 · (Edited)
Accomplishments so far:

Engine Mods:
-stage 2 built block from awdtuning, dallas tx.
+JE Pistons
+heat treated nitride coated crank
+manly H beam rods
+acr race bearings
-Cobb UNcatted DP (rallysportdirect.com)
-grimmspeed ceramic uppipe (rallysportdirect.com)
-Tuned via Rom Raider myself
-PTP turbo blanket (PTP in austin)
-lava heat wrap on Down pipe in engine bay. (PTP in austin)
-GFB Hybrid Blow off/bypass valve (rallysportdirect.com)
-Walboro 255lph fuel pump (rallysportdirect.com)
-GRIMMSPEED manual boost controller www.grimmspeed.com
-back to stock TD04
-Top Mount intercooler process west style (Fast motorsports) (turbotektuning.com)
-1000cc BOSCH injectors (turbotektuning.com)
-Grimmspeed Lightweight pulley (Grimmspeed.com)
-1 step colder NGK plugs (ray@turbotektuning.com)
-back to stock header
-2015 Sti Sedan Catback
-AEM Cold air intake
-Perrin turbo inlet
-2 Oil Catch Cans
-Deleted BPV return line back to intake.
-wrx engine mounts
-QTP Electric Exhaust Cutout

Suspension mods:

-22mm Whiteline front swaybar (rallysportdirect.com)
-22mm Whiteline rear swaybar (rallysportdirect.com)
-kartboy aluminium endlinks (rallysportdirect.com)
-Anderson Design Fabrication 2" lift with trailing arm extensions.

Drivetrain mods:

-6 speed sti transmission
-DCCD pro controller
-limited slip r180 rear diff
-sti axles
-sti driveshafts
-clutchmasters 6 puck fx400 clutch
-kartboy shifter bushing
-kartboy short throw shifter
-turn in concepts shifter linkage bushing.
-Drive Shaft Shop 08+STI Aluminum Driveshaft (58 inches)
- killer b delrin matte shift knob

Comfort/Utility mods:

-BFG TA KO2 IN 265 65 16
-Insulated Car with RAAMAT and Ensolyte (RAAMAT.com)
-Rubber Undercoated the entire underside with 3M Rubberized Undercoating (Autozone)
-Tinted front windows to match rear factory tint (Solar Shade Humble, tx)
-JVC Head Unit (SF.org member)
-Sylvania silverstar ultra lowbeams
-THULE Sidekick rooftop carrier(amazon.com)
-53" crossbars(amazon.com)
-gorilla offroad mudflaps (gorillaoffroad.com)

Supporting Mods:
-aem uego wideband O2 kit and gauge
-prosport sti style boost gauge
-smy gauge cluster
-wrx gauges(ebay)

Style/look mods:
-lamin-x gunsmoke rear tail tint (lamin-x.com)
-SPARCO Terra Corsa 16"
-Sports Grille

Brakes:
-Stoptech Street Performance Pads (rallysportdirect.com)

See less See more
#334 · (Edited)
(Pics) Installed new WRX Gauge Cluster!!!!

This looks simply amazing. For $99 bucks and a 5 minute install this is probably my new favorite mod (after to the turbo of course).

You have to have your keys reprogrammed at the dealer still though. Not too big a deal. You can swap the part out yourself at the dealer and then have them do it for you. Remember to take all keys with you.

This is a direct swap. Any 08+ wrx/sti/forester/outback/impreza gauges fit any other. Don't know if older models have the same compatability. There are certain features that will be missing such as if you had an automatic tranny and bought a wrx or sti gauge set the gear numbers and sport shift lights won't be there (who needs em anyway). Or if you get an STi set and put in something else you'll have the torque vectoring indications on the gauge set even though they don't exist on your car.

I got a WRX set so I'm only missing auto tranny stuff which I don't care about but I gained a water temperature indicator which the Foz didn't have before. Pretty good trade I think.

Out with the old:

In with the New Amazing sporty Red gauges of Awesomeness:

My suprise, unmentioned item should be shipped late next week. Looking forward to getting that as well. :D

#336 ·
Sure, here it is:

Yank hard on the plastic surrounding the cluster. It will pop off of each corner. It may take a couple of good tries but I assure you this is how it comes off. Remove the two screws holding in the gauges. Pull out the plug. Put the new ones back in by plugging them in and placing the two screws back. Place the surrounding dash plastic back and pop it back in. Done.

#340 ·
Its so easy and relatively cheap I can't believe more people aren't doing this. I just searched ebay for 08, 09, 10, 11 wrx gauge cluster(I did seperate searches for each year). Bunches came up. I found the one closest to my actual mileage and bought it. They're all the same 08 and up. Im actually 1500 miles off, so I just recorded it and stuck the gauge on. If you just wait till you hit the mileage on the odometer then itll be exact. Otherwise, the dealer can match the mileage for you for a small fee. Its close enough for my purposes.

#341 ·
I just went ahead and bought one that has a few thousand more miles than my OEM cluster does. I'll stick with the original until it gets within a few hundred miles then do the swap. Anything electrical scares the bejesus out of me but I think I can handle this.

#342 ·
Nothing electrical with this really. Just a plug. Hardest part is just yanking the plastic framing off. Took me a few tries when I first pulled it off. Was kind of hard to grip it tight enough. Then I put in the smy one with the two extra gauges, and its easier to pull off.

#348 ·
Thanks. I've been out of town for a bit and figured I'd give you guys an update, and maybe you guys can help me decide something.

So for the Dash I had to go to the subaru dealership and have them change the immobilizer code so my keys would work. They were pretty cool about it and only charged me $63 for both keys. They even let me switch the dash out while it was sitting in their bay cause I had to drive it over on the original gauges and then let them program the new ones. Once they had my car in there I just went back there and yanked the cover off and switched em. 20 minutes later I was on my way home happy as a lark.

Here's a pic from on the way home with a fresh 18 miles on the new gauges.

Since my injector swap my MPG meter in the center of the dash hasn't read accurately (although it makes you feel great seeing 34mpg you realize it was actually 19 when you get to the pump). One benefit of swapping my dash is that it's now turned off since it doesn't appear to like reading the new dash. Want to see?? Here's a pic:

Not there anymore!!

I'm liking it so far. Makes you feel a bit slower having a smaller Speedometer cause the needle doesn't sweep up as fast. Very deceiving.

So about the decision, I think I want to plastidip and then use the gold plastidip spray to bronze my OEM wheels for now. What do you guys think? Here's a current pic to let you imagine what it would look like. I'd also have to plastidip the door handles plain black cause the chrome would look silly with bronze wheels.

Also, I'll be heading out of town on a road trip soon and decided to order a rooftop cargo carrier. I got the crossbars off amazon for $60 from a suggestion made by another member. Much better than paying subaru $140-180. I also ordered the Thule sidekick to go up there. Since the Thule came with a grey top and black bottom I have plastidip ordered to paint the top. I can't have some random gray on the car, even if it's just temporary. Wouldn't look right.

#350 ·
I can pladtidip the handles easier than trading and its removable if I ever want it back. I think I may do the handles when my plastidip spray comes in for the cargo carrier and see what it looks like. I should have plenty enough with two cans.

#361 ·
Let me know how the pastidipping of the door handles go. I tried 3 times without success. I couldn't get full coverage of the backside of the handles. I emailed dipyourcar.com and they told me they stick a piece of vinyl on the back of handles, then plastidip.
Also here's a pic of the rear emblem ring plastidipped. I sprayed the whole thing and then peeled off the inside, leaving just the ring plastidipped. Sorry for the poor picture. I just took the picture.

Attachments

#358 · (Edited)
Finally broke into the 4 second to 0-60 zone with this tune!

I decided to make a quick quartermile run today. My tune is nearing completion. AFR is just about perfect and I'll have a bit of timing we can throw in soon to pick up some extra power. I was quite happy with the results though today. I did a 4.9 second to 60 and 13.6 quarter mile at 101 mph. Of course there's some error with using the AP but it's definitely getting better. I hope the error is in my favor and I'm actually faster. This run was done with nearly 100 lbs of junk in my car and a full tank of gas. I think I could make this a bit better with some weight shed and it'll definitely improve at the end of the tune. If I can get around the 13.0 - 13.1 mark I'd be happy enough on 93 oct. Hopefully it'll be faster though.

I forsee a bit of E85 in my near future.

Edit: talked to ray. He said the 0-60 should be pretty accurate but its very likely the 1/4 mile is actually reading slow and that im probably actually a bit faster.

#359 ·
Crossbars and Thule Sidekick are here and I took a sample photo.

They came in the mail over the past 2 days so I wanted to see what it looks like on the Foz for when I go on my road trip soon. Looks good to me. What do you guys think?
Not bad for $60 dollar crossbars. They are really nice.

#360 ·
Plastidip the racks black too! I just put the OEM cross bars on my g/fs 09. It's the same ish. The crossbar ends go flush with the roof rails, but I'd rather have the extra money in my pocket.

The Sidekick makes your fozzy look so innocent. You should leave it on with you go to the races.. for kicks.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.