Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Superacerc's Garage/Journal

('09-'13) 
309K views 3K replies 94 participants last post by  Superacerc 
#1 · (Edited)
Accomplishments so far:

Engine Mods:
-stage 2 built block from awdtuning, dallas tx.
+JE Pistons
+heat treated nitride coated crank
+manly H beam rods
+acr race bearings
-Cobb UNcatted DP (rallysportdirect.com)
-grimmspeed ceramic uppipe (rallysportdirect.com)
-Tuned via Rom Raider myself
-PTP turbo blanket (PTP in austin)
-lava heat wrap on Down pipe in engine bay. (PTP in austin)
-GFB Hybrid Blow off/bypass valve (rallysportdirect.com)
-Walboro 255lph fuel pump (rallysportdirect.com)
-GRIMMSPEED manual boost controller www.grimmspeed.com
-back to stock TD04
-Top Mount intercooler process west style (Fast motorsports) (turbotektuning.com)
-1000cc BOSCH injectors (turbotektuning.com)
-Grimmspeed Lightweight pulley (Grimmspeed.com)
-1 step colder NGK plugs (ray@turbotektuning.com)
-back to stock header
-2015 Sti Sedan Catback
-AEM Cold air intake
-Perrin turbo inlet
-2 Oil Catch Cans
-Deleted BPV return line back to intake.
-wrx engine mounts
-QTP Electric Exhaust Cutout

Suspension mods:

-22mm Whiteline front swaybar (rallysportdirect.com)
-22mm Whiteline rear swaybar (rallysportdirect.com)
-kartboy aluminium endlinks (rallysportdirect.com)
-Anderson Design Fabrication 2" lift with trailing arm extensions.

Drivetrain mods:

-6 speed sti transmission
-DCCD pro controller
-limited slip r180 rear diff
-sti axles
-sti driveshafts
-clutchmasters 6 puck fx400 clutch
-kartboy shifter bushing
-kartboy short throw shifter
-turn in concepts shifter linkage bushing.
-Drive Shaft Shop 08+STI Aluminum Driveshaft (58 inches)
- killer b delrin matte shift knob

Comfort/Utility mods:

-BFG TA KO2 IN 265 65 16
-Insulated Car with RAAMAT and Ensolyte (RAAMAT.com)
-Rubber Undercoated the entire underside with 3M Rubberized Undercoating (Autozone)
-Tinted front windows to match rear factory tint (Solar Shade Humble, tx)
-JVC Head Unit (SF.org member)
-Sylvania silverstar ultra lowbeams
-THULE Sidekick rooftop carrier(amazon.com)
-53" crossbars(amazon.com)
-gorilla offroad mudflaps (gorillaoffroad.com)

Supporting Mods:
-aem uego wideband O2 kit and gauge
-prosport sti style boost gauge
-smy gauge cluster
-wrx gauges(ebay)

Style/look mods:
-lamin-x gunsmoke rear tail tint (lamin-x.com)
-SPARCO Terra Corsa 16"
-Sports Grille

Brakes:
-Stoptech Street Performance Pads (rallysportdirect.com)

See less See more
#309 ·
I'm just going to modify the stock splitter on the Foz. I'm going to take a utility knife to the back part where it's not long enough and cut a section out and then cut and shape some sheet metal to fit back there all the way to the edges. There's a 3 inch gap in the front of the intercooler since this one isn't square like the OEM one. I'll just rivet a sheet metal guard there to force the air to the front.

#312 ·
Went for the inaugural drive on my new intercooler. It's quite different feeling than before.

I can now tell that the old intercooler was a bottleneck in the system because the power delivery is sooo much smoother now going into boost. The engine is a lot deeper sounding now to as if I had put on a cold air intake. It also shifts smoother with the BOV set on full atmospheric don't ask me why, I don't know. It goes into boost much faster as well. I like it alot and can't wait to add in the extra 2 psi this week.

When I came home from a 2 hour drive I pulled in the driveway and popped the hood to see how hot the intercooler was. It was actually very cold. maybe 65-70 degrees throughout the entire intercooler except the part right over the turbo which was maybe 90 degrees. Barely warm to the touch. It was about 65 degrees out side for our entire trip. With my previous intercooler it would have been much much hotter. I'm impressed, and I don't even have my splitter dividing air up that well yet. I'm going to divert some air to cover the endtank area over the turbo so I can keep that cool as well.

Here's a random picture of some of us Coasties and our Fozzes at the class I had last week. Since we move around alot there are a bunch of us that go north so we tend to have more subarus than the average texans.

#315 ·
Did some logging. Adding the new intercooler actually caused everything to get rich. No big deal though cause its safe that way. After doing some logs and having absolutely no knock, I upped the boost to 20psi just for fun. A few runs on the way home like that showed no knock and brought my afr up to 11.2 avg. at WOT. We'll smooth out the afr a little more and up the timing and see what she'll do. Then if possible take her up another psi to 21 and see how it does. That'll be about it for 93oct I think. Avcs is already as far as it's going to get.

Did I mention it feels pretty quick? Well it does.

#316 ·
20.5 psi right now. I'm starting to feel 4wheel slippage on dry roads at full throttle 2nd gear.

I got that intercooler bracket in. It actually goes to the bolt on top of the transmission that holds the mount for the oemheat shield. Here's a pic

I also modified my oem splitter to better fit the new intercooler. Its not absolutely air tight bit provides cooling to the entire intercooler.

With both sides of the intercooler mounted tight it transmits a beautiful intake sound into the cockpit. It sounds like a beast!

#321 ·
The engine itself is much louder with that intercooler. Overall loudness of the car is quieter than with the sti exhaust. You only hear the engine when you put your foot into it. Its a beautiful sound though. Ill try and get some video posted up.

#323 · (Edited)
Tapering? Doesnt happen....

Lol

Ive got it going down just slightly to because I dont want too much there but its not by much. Its actually about 18psi. Im still only at 55% wastegate duty.

When I was tuning on the original tune getting the injectors dialed in the wdc was still set for the TD04 @ 95%. I saw a few 28psi spikes upon quick throttle application.

Ray has been busy so the tunes im playing with are from what im experimenting with. I just upped the timing this morning. Still no knock. So things are good.

#324 ·
Just be careful not to push the stock internals to far on that 93oct i bet its a blast to drive. 18psi at redline sounds pretty good though my friend runs about 20psi at redline in his built sti after peaking to 26psi just to be safe,and hes on e85 with cp pistons. Can you do me a favor can you post up a virtual dyno graph in 2nd gear so i can see it ,for some reason mine wont look rite almost as if its backward just want to see if its a 09+ auto thing.

#327 ·
Its the Brad barnhill virtual dyno i dont know how to link it but if you search it comes rite up. Then save it to your desktop and it has our car stored in there with the weight already set all you have to do is put in your body weight, the gear of the log and upload the log itself and it gives you your whp and wtq.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.