LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 1873 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 06:00 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: turbotek tuned fxt
Transmission: 4eat sport shift
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
no need for ugrading the bcs the stocker is pretty good my tuner actually prefers it. I have no problem hitting 24psi tapering to 19psi with it, i would save your money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 1873 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 09:23 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superacerc View Post
I'm still on the stock mufflers. I don't want the noise associated with aftermarket ones(been there before and have used up my share of tylenol for the headache associated with the drone).

I've removed the resonator however. Other than that I'm just a cobb downpipe, a straight through midpipe and stock mufflers. It sounds ok..... sometimes. It's super quiet as far as driving is concerned and I don't hear it inside much at all. As for the actual sound of it cruising with the windows down it sounds a bit raspy and not special at all. You can hear the turbo whistle at low rpms (when it's not making boost) kind of like a Diesel pickup. Under low RPM load you hear the typical boxer sound with a raspy wastegate flutter(not the most awesome sound), and under load at High RPM it sounds just fine and dandy and growls fiercly as I pass others by.
Thanks just what I needed to know. Wastegate noise drives me crazy too. Hopefully vf52 will cure this.
post #18 of 1873 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: 2.5xt w/ td05-20g
@ nate: Even better. One less thing to buy.

@ XT+WRX: Glad to be of help. The 52 should take care of that idiotic noise. As for me since i don't have one laying around (Lucky you) i'll have to deal with it till i can cough up some dough.

TD05-20g @ 24psi with Stage II AWDTUNING Block
Superacerc's Journal
post #19 of 1873 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 01:54 PM
Forum Member

The main reason i got rid of the td04 was the wastegate flutter it was very annoying almost like the car was broken. I liked hitting 18psi by 2800 rpm but 9psi at redline also made up my mind.
post #20 of 1873 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member
Contributing Member

How's that VF52 react? What RPM is it capable of being full spool and how long can it hold it?

Superacerc's Journal
post #21 of 1873 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 08:00 AM
Forum Member

It spools nice im at full boost at 3200rpm and it holds pretty long a whole lot better than the td04 it generally will taper about 4psi by redline which is perfect if your running stock injectors. My first tune was 18psi tapering to 14psi at redline and my idc were in the low 90%'s on stock injectors. Now that im e85 im hitting 24psi tapering to around 19psi and my idc are in the low 80%'s on 1000cc injectors.
post #22 of 1873 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Thanks to a contact from Nate, and TURBOTEKTUNING I'll be getting an ETune(Protune) for quite a bit cheaper than my guy here in Houston was willing to do it for. We're starting the process tomorrow. I'm Pretty Excited about it. I guess that'll be the end to my power mods for a while since this is pretty much going to max the TD04 out. I'll get the lightweight pulley, rear swaybar, and a dw65 fuelpump in the meantime till I can afford a Turbo. That should keep me busy for a bit.

Also tomorrow, i'll be soundproofing the Foz with Raamat in the evening(or for the next couple days depending on how quickly I can get panels off and back on).

Superacerc's Journal
post #23 of 1873 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: XT
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
just an fyi, no need to replace the BOV if your goal is only 300. I pushed well over 400 on the stock bov when I was on my blouch dom4. I didn't upgrade my bov until I went rotated

500hp Journal
big wheels and big brakes soon
post #24 of 1873 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Forum Member

The SH bpv is made of 100% plastic unlike the older models and tend to leak at stage 2 boost.
post #25 of 1873 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Didn't even think about that. I might have to replace that soon. I'm in the process of Etuning and I'm hoping it'll hold for the tuning. So far at my stage II tune i don't often meet the boost target completely. The target from Cobbs tune is 16 psi and I regularly only see about 13-14.5 gear dependent. I do however under quick heavy loads see a 16psi on occasion usually in 2nd gear I believe. I hope this isn't due to my valve already having issues and more to do with the sucky off the shelf tune that comes with the Cobb AP. *Fingers Crossed*

Superacerc's Journal
post #26 of 1873 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member
Contributing Member

So today after work I uploaded the first etune on the foz. This tune isn't drastically more powerful than stage two cobb, but it's not supposed to be yet. This was to establish a base tune to work with. What it does do that is different from the cobb stg 2 is provide a smoother power curve that holds boost longer into the high rpm which is pretty nice feeling.

Also today I began my RAAMAT install. I finished my two front doors before my wife went into town with the foz. For any of you guys that are going to install raamat I suggest keeping some bandaids available for the mega paper cuts that you'll have when finished.

Superacerc's Journal
post #27 of 1873 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Finished the RAAMAT install. It makes quite a difference especially on black top roads where my tires aren't as noisy. It's virtually silent up into the mid 55-mph range except for the rush of wind by the windows. On concrete roadways, like interstates tend to be, the tires are still a bit noisy. I wish they were worn already cause i'd love to put a quiet set of michelins on there.

Almost done with the protune. For the moment i'm holding about 15.5-16psi on average through my 3rd gear data logging and it's feeling quite a bit stronger than the Cobb tune which only averaged 13.5-14.5 when I did the data logs. It's also alot more driveable than the Cobb Stg 2 tune and not so jumpy.

Superacerc's Journal

Last edited by Superacerc; 04-26-2012 at 05:27 PM.
post #28 of 1873 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superacerc View Post
Also today I began my RAAMAT install. I finished my two front doors before my wife went into town with the foz. For any of you guys that are going to install raamat I suggest keeping some bandaids available for the mega paper cuts that you'll have when finished.
I told you

I didn't have any spare time this week to finish up mine. Maybe next week.
post #29 of 1873 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Yeah, I read that post you made and thought, how bad can it be? All I can say is don't be in a hurry while installing that stuff! I was bleeding from about 10 different cuts on my hands after the first day. I took my time after that.

Superacerc's Journal
post #30 of 1873 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Update on the protune: in the latest revision of my tune (7th), I'm now holding 17.6 psi. That's all she's gonna do for boost I believe. We held the timing in a bit longer on the top end as well. I may get one more revision but I think it's close to done with. Dropped almost a second off my quarter so far as compared with the Cobb STG II and .6 off my 0-60. From a virtual Dyno program the tuner is using (I don't know how accurate it really is, seems a bit generous to me) he inputs the info from the data logs which I complete on a super flat piece of Tarmac and before this latest revision he figured me at 257whp and 279 tq. My quickest 1/4 I've done so far is 14.4 @ 9X(90 something) mph. Temperature was 78deg and extra humid when doing the runs. Best 0-60 so far is 5.7. All the times were recorded using the Cobb ap applets built in the programmer. I figure there's some error involved due to the fact that the tires size can't exactly match whatever the ecu is using to calculate the speedometer, which should be where these numbers are coming from. I just dont know if the error is in my favor or against me.

Superacerc's Journal

Last edited by Superacerc; 05-25-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Member Gallery > Members' Journals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.