Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Subtle Fozz XT

('03-'05) 
868 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  gnofx 
#1 · (Edited)
I will elaborate on this more as I am running out the door to go do some bass fishing. I am on to my third Forester in 3 months. The green 14' did great, then the silver FXT crapped out on me in a few days and now I have a black SG FXT. So far so good. It does have some dings here and there as well as a solid dented fender and a big door dent. Hoping that someone slides into my this winter and I can fix one or both of those problems.

On to the good things. I bought the car with a brand new installed engine in it with 2k miles. I immediately replaced the up pipe with a STi cat-less up pipe as well as adding a K&N high flow air filter. In addition I also added some WeatherTech heavy duty floor mats and a dog barrier. It wasn't soon after that in which I added a new Kenwood double DIN head unit and upgraded the door speakers to Hertz components and coaxial. They definitely need to have the doors sound deadened to liven them up. Will probably end up replacing the tweeters with some silk dome's as well to kill the high end tinny noise.

Last night I also plasti-dipped the mid section on the tailgate as well as the lettering. Next goal is to add a custom axle back portion for exhaust. I keep looking at costs associated with aftermarket and scoff at the pricing. Even the TurboXS at $315 seems well priced, but maybe I am too stingy. Going with the inspiration from @2.5x_sleeper and his Magnaflow build, I will probably end up with either a Borla, Magnaflow or even go outside the box a little and get a Megan muffler. Will keep the mounts so if I choose to go with a custom mid-pipe I can add that on later and probably will. Here is the muffler I had in mind and I will update this thread later tonight with more pictures.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Ended up getting a Magnaflow # 11216 muffler and had it installed yesterday. Still need to source a tip for it, but definitely a throaty setup. Ran 2.5" piping from muffler back to the axle connector and it sounds good once I get over 40mph. Up until there it is much louder than I would like, but still subtle by many standards. I ended up PlastiDipping some of the piping black as well as the muffler to give it a lower profile look which is redundant considering the sound. Might look at tossing another resonator on it in addition to the stock one to tone it down a bit.

In addition I am looking forward to an SPT intake that will be showing up in a few days that I plan on getting installed at the end of the week. Once that goes on I really gotta cool my jets on doing anything to the car and focus on getting it through the winter without getting smashed into.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.