post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Slim_Jim's 2000 Forester S

Slight procrastination in making this, but regardless, my name is Kolby and I'm a 20 yr old college student in Mechanical Engineering at NMSU.
I started working on cars in high school and been a hobby since. I got into Subaru's after being convinced by Josh (BlueFox) and being saved by one (No More Foz).

(Added on 3/19/12)

I picked up my 2000 Forester S in the beginning of October 2011 from a guy in San Antonio, TX, who was looking to fund his 98 Impreza RS rebuild with the forester sale. I flew out to get it after countless inquires, pictures, and videos of the car. After a slight delay at the airport, I was able to look it over and test drive it.

The Forester surprisingly good condition for having 170k miles on the body. The greyish cloth interior was spotless, odorless, and the only flaws I found were a small rip in the rear driver-side carpet and a loose console. The silver S trim exterior had nothing but very small dings that were unnoticeable unless searched for. He had swapped the original engine with an 03 X block that had 122k miles.

I didnt get any pictures of it when I first got it. Once I got my basket, I took it to the desert and got some basic ones with my phone:

I originally thought of making it an off-roader, but I'm not wanting to take it to the extreme in that direction. I'd like to fix it up and start swapping components with higher performance parts, but not much can be demanded from an NA in HP. I want to take a rally coarse and learn in this, but will be awhile before its ready for that.

I'm facing plenty of maintenance issues before I can really have fun in it, so here's whats been done and what needs help:

(Updated 4/7/12)

Done
- Passenger CV Boot replacement
- Steering Rack & Boot (Driver & Passenger) replacement
- Top end treatment (Seafoam)
- Bottom end treatment (Seafoam)
- Fuel system treatment (Seafoam)
- Air filter replacement
- Oil change & filter replacement
- Coolant flush
- Front differential flush
- Transmission fluid filter replaced

Needs Doing
- Trace oil leak and repair
- Fuel filter and general maintenance
- Valve adjustment

Current Mods:
- Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD Head Unit
- Alpine Flex5 Amp w/ Bullz Audio amp kit
- Rage Roof Basket (w/ a few stickers)
- JDM SF5 Grille
- Stock SG Suspension
- Tsudo UEL 98-05 Subaru Impreza RS Header with flow Cat (To-Be DEI heat wrapped)
- Tsudo N1 98-05 Subaru Impreza RS 2.5L Catback Exhaust
- Mudrunners PVC Intake mod
(See Original)
- K&N panel air filter

= 30.6 mpg!!

Wanted Mods:
- BF Goodrich T/A KO's
- Rally Innovations Light Bar
- HID Lights and Projectors
- New rear sway bar + links (STi possible/recommended?)

Any recommended goodies to put in an NA to help performance, handling, etc. is welcomed.

2005 XT - 4EAT - Journal to come

Last edited by Slim_Jim; 07-18-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2000
Car Model: Forester
I wish forums were kind of like facebook where I could like your post and go on. Looks good.

H-Stock #78 --- f --- Omz's Foz
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 05:40 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1999
Car Model: S
Transmission: Auto
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Looks like you have a good base to build on. Keep us posted. We look forward to more pics!

99S - Mine
2013 XV CrossTrek
05XT - GONE
post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

First Hit...n' Run

About 3 weeks after I picked up my Foz, Las Cruces got hammered with about 3 inches of snow that made the roads less than comfortable to be on with inexperienced NM drivers. The roads had iced over and plenty of cars were slide off to the shoulders. I was on my way to the NMSU Aquatic Center for work when I came to the intersection just up the street from it when I small pick-up behind me hit the patch of ice I had just found and slide into the my rear right, shoving me further down the road. He obviously didn't want to get involved and took off before I could get any info (not uncommon for this area, sadly).

As a result, my hatch had a dent about 5in. is diameter and about a 1/4" deep, right rear light had cracked and dislodged, the under-body behind the tail-light had been shoved back, and the bumper plastic had been ripped.

Insurance was generous and was able to cover its repair/replacement cost, so was very fortunate. New taillight has already been installed, but still have plenty of pulling and patching to do.

So much for having a good first time in snowy weather

Last edited by Slim_Jim; 02-26-2012 at 05:06 PM.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

New Grille

I went looking for a replacement Subaru emblem for my front grill since the current badge is... ugly. The previous owner said the grille was trashed when he got it and simply sprayed over the entire thing to cover the tarnish, including the emblem. While I didnt find just the emblem, I did find the SF5 "F" grille and decided to get it (thanks Alex!).

That said, here is some photos of the grille, the original, and once installed:

Last edited by Slim_Jim; 03-03-2012 at 11:27 AM.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Suspension

I had this in the plan for awhile, but finally got around to getting the parts to do it. I just ordered a set of used SG suspension and the Saggy Butt Syndrome fix, which will make the Foz ride a whole lot nicer and look (obviously) less saggy. So looking forward to getting that all in and eventually putting on some BFG KO's. Also looking forward to the tighter ride feel. Just wish this SF was a Turbo...

post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2000
Car Model: Forester
Sounds like a solid plan. Digging the grille.

H-Stock #78 --- f --- Omz's Foz
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 11:13 PM
Smooshed FOTY 2011

Car Model: Lifted 2.5 XT
Transmission: 5-Speed MT
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Once you (we) get your suspension work done, we can see what your SF will look like with my BFG's.

2004 XT - RIP
2005 XT - 5MT - 2" LIFT JOURNAL
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fox View Post
Once you (we) get your suspension work done, we can see what your SF will look like with my BFG's.
I'm not even sure about how much power will be lost with the extra weight.

You (we) can also try putting my tires on your FXT and make it dance in them.

Last edited by Slim_Jim; 04-02-2012 at 04:24 PM.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Just a few days after picking my foz up, I got my new Pioneer head unit in the mail and got to slap it in. A little soldering of the harness, mounting, then messing with the covering, and it was in. Even with my stock speaker setup, it still sounds fairly decent.

I didnt get any photos of it being installed, but here is a current one:

I found that the display doesn't work when I want to try anything with video/photo, but figured that I need to ground the "parking break cable" in order for it show. Just a guess.

post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

New Photos

I got a chance to go get a few more photos this morning after getting off work early, so I headed up toward our
mountains that were cloud-capped and took a few with my cruddy phone camera. Would love to have a DSLR for some better shots.

post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 03:21 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1998
Car Model: Forester L
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Nice Foz man! It kinda looks like mine. I have the same wheels and a roof basket. Keep up the good work!
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 05:41 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2001
Car Model: Forester S
Transmission: Manual
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
That's a sweet headunit! I'm drooling lol. Nice Forester as well
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 06:56 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: FXT Limited
Transmission: 5MT
looking good man :)

Slowbaru Tuned VF43'd 2007 FXT Limited MT
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage Down Time - Pt.1

I finally got to commandeer the garage for an extended period of time to work on my Foz! So, got started on Monday after getting my new headers w/ cat in a nice new box and started taking things apart. Very exciting and addicting. Finally getting around to installing much needed parts, with a few upgrades!

Header and Old Catalytic Converter Removal + test fit

First off, I started with removal of the headers and catalytic. A few rusted bolts, a little WD-40, and they were off:

(Ugly Pictures, my apologies)

I picked up the catalytic after detaching it from the headers and shook it to reveal what had been causing my foz to pop, stutter, and strain for the past 2 weeks. It rattled like rocks in a tin can, just as chunks of metal came cluttering out. I'm surprised it took me as far as it did, back and forth to work and school.

New Header w/ Catted Mid

To follow that episode, I decided to try the new header on for fit and ran into two snags, one of which I had anticipated. A single stud on the block didn't line up with one of the holes on the header, and the second was that the . I resolved this by borrowing my roommates drill and bit and boring the header hole 1/8" on a side to allow the bolt through without catching.

Another catch was that I wouldnt be able to fit my stock catback with the Tsudo version pipe without some serious welding and modding, so I "had to" order a new catback, too (Oh darn ), but it meant more wait time for it to come in.

Here is at least the new header (plus a few other things needing to be put on) and catted mid, next to the old stock cat and header.

New Intake Mod (Mudrunner's Setup)

While I waited for the arrival of the new Catback (and trying to avoid deciding whether I should heat wrap my headers or not), I concluded to upgrade my intake to something a bit more... gnarly. My main thought for this was to increase the growling, angry sound of the engine . So, I headed to Home Depot and picked up what was needed and headed home to get to work.

(Yes, I added text before rotating. lol)

I proceeded to remove the bothersome snorkus (which revealed a way to change the spark plugs more easily than I had imagined, so I did so), and realized just how much space the blasted thing takes up. Unreal!

Once I started to cut at the PVC pipe and assemble it, I had a bit of trouble trying to figure out what Mudrunner did with the elbows to keep them as long as he did. I barely manged to get mine to work enough to be satisfied.

Got it cut and fitted and placed the rubber pieces where they were needed, and done!

Paint took a bit longer than I had planned, but looked good after it finished drying and was in place.

(I was told this was a very over-thought way of painting, lol)

Soon To Come

Right now I'm working on scrapping the rust off the SG suspension before painting and installing them. The list of things that are up coming up are:
- Remove the steering rack and boots to await the arrival of the new rack
- Replace the Passenger Side CV boots
- Spray and wrap the headers
- Install new Catback
- Install new Headers w/ cat
- Clean up and allignment

Last edited by Slim_Jim; 03-25-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Member Gallery > Members' Journals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.