I finally got to commandeer the garage for an extended period of time to work on my Foz! So, got started on Monday after getting my new headers w/ cat in a nice new box and started taking things apart. Very exciting and addicting. Finally getting around to installing much needed parts, with a few upgrades!
Header and Old Catalytic Converter Removal + test fit
First off, I started with removal of the headers and catalytic. A few rusted bolts, a little WD-40, and they were off:
(Ugly Pictures, my apologies)
I picked up the catalytic after detaching it from the headers and shook it to reveal what had been causing my foz to pop, stutter, and strain for the past 2 weeks. It rattled like rocks in a tin can, just as chunks of metal came cluttering out. I'm surprised it took me as far as it did, back and forth to work and school.
New Header w/ Catted Mid
To follow that episode, I decided to try the new header on for fit and ran into two snags, one of which I had anticipated. A single stud on the block didn't line up with one of the holes on the header, and the second was that the . I resolved this by borrowing my roommates drill and bit and boring the header hole 1/8" on a side to allow the bolt through without catching.
Another catch was that I wouldnt be able to fit my stock catback with the Tsudo version pipe without some serious welding and modding, so I "had to" order a new catback, too (Oh darn
), but it meant more wait time for it to come in.
Here is at least the new header (plus a few other things needing to be put on) and catted mid, next to the old stock cat and header.
New Intake Mod (Mudrunner's Setup)
While I waited for the arrival of the new Catback (and trying to avoid deciding whether I should heat wrap my headers or not), I concluded to upgrade my intake to something a bit more... gnarly. My main thought for this was to increase the growling, angry sound of the engine
. So, I headed to Home Depot and picked up what was needed and headed home to get to work.
(Yes, I added text before rotating. lol)
I proceeded to remove the bothersome snorkus (which revealed a way to change the spark plugs more easily than I had imagined, so I did so), and realized just how much space the blasted thing takes up. Unreal!
Once I started to cut at the PVC pipe and assemble it, I had a bit of trouble trying to figure out what Mudrunner did with the elbows to keep them as long as he did. I barely manged to get mine to work enough to be satisfied.
Got it cut and fitted and placed the rubber pieces where they were needed, and done!
Paint took a bit longer than I had planned, but looked good after it finished drying and was in place.
(I was told this was a very over-thought way of painting, lol)
Soon To Come
Right now I'm working on scrapping the rust off the SG suspension before painting and installing them. The list of things that are up coming up are:
- Remove the steering rack and boots to await the arrival of the new rack
- Replace the Passenger Side CV boots
- Spray and wrap the headers
- Install new Catback
- Install new Headers w/ cat
- Clean up and allignment