Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

******* with a Foz

('98-'00) 
15K views 131 replies 18 participants last post by  Upstate Redneck 
#1 · (Edited)
Oh why not, I'll start a journal of my own, to start off I just got my license in January and was drivin my Dad's 99 GMC Suburban for a while and he wanted to get rid of it, he knew I liked Subarus and (smart man) knew it had to be a manual or I wouldn't take it, he found this one on Craigslist

The next day we called the kid sellin it and we went and looked at it, he agreed to let us put it on the lift to see underneath and m dad and I both test drove it, It was really clean except for the back hatch where it looked like someone did a bad job putting a window in it, pics later, it ran good, drove good, we made a deal for $3000. Before you go sayin "Daddy bought your car" yes he did buy it...but he certainly didn't hand it to me, I've always helped him with everything at the shop and at home, he felt I had earned it. That being said, I couldn't leave it alone :)
The day I pulled er into the shop

Only real rust that was on it

Wheels before I painted em

Wheels after lower body color paint

Mounted on the car with some 215/65/16 Cooper Weather Masters
That's the suburban I was driving before the Foz)

New gate, same color, no rust-$50 at Vince's U-Pull it

Finally got it on the road and started buildin this for it

Tow hook reinforcements

Recovery Shackles

400 miles into ownership she let go

New one :)

Resurfaced fly wheel

Current specs: 1999 SF5 Forester S with EJ253 2.5 liter engine with 5 speed manual transsmission

Modifications: Color Matched wheels, 215-65-16 tires, Advanced Auto Parts air horn kit, Home made brush guard with driving lights

Future Plans: 04 STi engine, tranny, rear diff, front and rear suspension and subframes and STi guage cluster with Harness merge by i-Wire, CB radio coming soon, Hopefully STi seats if I can find a good deal, Going for the sleeper look from the outside :)

See less See more
#9 ·
Thanks guy! Always good to hear positive feedback from other Fozzie owners

NZ Forester your car looks great too, sucks you can only drive it in the summer though. I love seeing how other peoples cars end up when they start pretty much the same as mine did

#11 ·
I don't really have anything major planned in the near future for the ole girl, however there will be some "dirty pictures" of er posted with summer coming up. As for distant future, meaning probably after Graduation, (Currently a high school junior) I'd like to find a complete 04 STi wrecked (preferable a side hit or rear hit) and transplant the engine, tranny, rear diff, front and rear suspensions/subframes, seats and gauge cluster, keep everything else as it looks now, front mount intercooler so no hood scoop, complete sleeper, no lowering, just look like any other Forester that your mother would drive (minus the brush guard of course)

#15 ·
Hmmm decision time...for my exhaust that is. Started my car up after school the other day and went through a little mud pit at the end of the school parking lot :) as I was driving away I noticed it sounded like I didnt have a muffler...got home and looked and thats exactly what happened. Now I'm debating on weather to just leave it with out the axle back section, modify a dual exhaust off a 2010 foz that I can get for $60 which then leaves me with more possibilities in the way of after market later, or to find an SPT axleback off an STi sedan. If any one has experimented with any of these options let me know what you're experience was

#19 ·
Went fishin today, found a little mud...Kinda proud of the ole girl...Accidentally backed into this big hole in the first picture which is pretty deep and she got out all on her own

I caught the same exact fish...two days in a row

Girlfriend took this one...she thinks I love my car more than I love her lol

Those may or may not be my donut tracks in the background

#20 ·
I think it's time for a new battery...It's bean starting weak and it only showed about 12.1 volts last time I checked it with a multimeter with the engine off. I was lettin my girlfriend practice driving stickshift yesterday and after she stalled it a few times without much charge time in between i had to get a jump :( I'm gonna do the basic charging system checks tomorrow and if everything checks out she's gettin a new one

#24 ·
Sweet! Thanks man, Now I just gotta come up with a sheet of 1/8" steel to make it out of :biggrin:

On a side note if any of you have any shaking problems after you get into some mud, check the insides of your wheels for caked up mud, it throws em out of balance like mine are now :icon_frown:

#25 ·
If there's one thing I've hated about my car, all Subaru's for that matter, It's the horn, so I fixed it today :)

Last weekend my girlfriend went to the jun yard so I had her grab me a clock since mine was missing the buttons, otherwise I would have just soldered the one I had like I planned to do to this one, until I plugged it in before taking the new clock apart'

It works!!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.