post #1 of 416 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Cool Raz's 2015 Forester XT

I guess it's high time I created this thread to keep track of my build progress. I'm on my 3rd Subaru, a 2015 Forester XT Touring with Eyesight. I made the switch from a 2015 WRX Limited after about 9,000 miles. Loved the WRX, but I wanted something with some more space, and something a bit more comfortable to drive, without losing the exciting drive of a turbo Subaru. So, here I am.

Technically, we were at the dealer to buy my girlfriend a new car, a 2015 Impreza Sport Limited. So yeah, I did steal her thunder a bit when I got another new car too. But hey, they look good together.

First thing was to install the parts I took out of my WRX, including the fog light LED bulbs, and the JDM console hood. Also added emblem overlays, for a stealthier look.

Next up was getting the windows tinted. I decided to simply match the front windows to the factory tint on the rest of the windows. It's not quite as private as I'd like sometimes, but I appreciate the visibility at night.

Now, things start getting serious. I'll admit I miss the handling on the WRX from time to time, and really missed it when I couldn't hang with the Impreza on a particularly exciting clover-leaf freeway ramp. I have upgraded to a 20mm rear sway bar, but it still didn't cut it. So, phone calls were made, and parts were shipped.

On tap were a set of Feal 441 coilovers, paired with Swift springs (8k). Whiteline rear camber arms and toe arms came in as well, to keep everything in, or close, to spec once the FXT lost a few inches of ground clearance.

Install was pretty simple, nothing I haven't done before. Let the car settle for 100 miles or so, and got an alignment. Pretty close to factory alignment all around, but a new alignment is coming, once these go on:

I also added these eBay LEDs for the "fangs" on the front bumper. Install was pretty easy as well. I wired them to come on with the ignition, and run them as the DRLs instead of the high beams. I love the way they came out, and give the front a distinctive look.

And that's where she sits for now. Wheels should be on soon, and from there, who knows! Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 416 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Garage
Tires have been ordered. 255/45s going on tomorrow!

post #3 of 416 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 12:50 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Forester XT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
great looking build so far. what wheels are those and specs? also, is it necessary to do the camber/toe arms to get a good alignment?

post #4 of 416 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 01:26 PM
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: XT Touring
Transmission: 4EAT
Garage
few things look better SJ wise then white, on coils...with some proper fitting wheels and tires.

nice job!
Raz007 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Moore Performance
Import Image Racing
TurbotekTuning
Ground Control
post #5 of 416 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Garage
And they are on! Rota Grids 18x9.5 with 255/45 Falken FK430s.

post #6 of 416 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfxt16 View Post
great looking build so far. what wheels are those and specs? also, is it necessary to do the camber/toe arms to get a good alignment?
Thanks! It depends on your goals. If you are just going to lower a bit with springs, you could probably get away without them. But if you are going to lower it on coils, I'd definitely recommend them.
post #7 of 416 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXTerrific View Post
few things look better SJ wise then white, on coils...with some proper fitting wheels and tires.

nice job!
I tend to agree :) Your car in no slouch either!
post #8 of 416 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 06:26 PM
Forum Member

Transmission: CVT
Garage
Wheels and tires look great! How much better are the 255s and how much did you raise the coil overs to clear everything?

From the wheels that slip...
post #9 of 416 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by psi1776 View Post
Wheels and tires look great! How much better are the 255s and how much did you raise the coil overs to clear everything?
Over stock? They are way stickier, that's for sure. I haven't really pushed the car too much, as I'm still feeling out clearances and such. I can feel a lot more of the road with the wider tires, which I like. Car's a bit stiffer too. I'll have to play with the coils a bit to get the ride dialed in. As far as height, I only raised it half an inch or so, so not much. I can go lower if I roll the fenders. Car has 8k miles, so I'm still up in the air on whether to do so or not. For now, I'm very pleased with how everything is coming together.

nyfxt16 likes this.
post #10 of 416 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 07:01 AM
Forum Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz007 View Post
Over stock? They are way stickier, that's for sure. I haven't really pushed the car too much, as I'm still feeling out clearances and such. I can feel a lot more of the road with the wider tires, which I like. Car's a bit stiffer too. I'll have to play with the coils a bit to get the ride dialed in. As far as height, I only raised it half an inch or so, so not much. I can go lower if I roll the fenders. Car has 8k miles, so I'm still up in the air on whether to do so or not. For now, I'm very pleased with how everything is coming together.

The car looks great! What was the offset on the Rotas and are you having any rub at full lock? I had been considering a small spacer (3-5mm) to avoid any rub inside on an 18x8.5" +44 wide and just curious.

From the wheels that slip...
post #11 of 416 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by psi1776 View Post
The car looks great! What was the offset on the Rotas and are you having any rub at full lock? I had been considering a small spacer (3-5mm) to avoid any rub inside on an 18x8.5" +44 wide and just curious.
They are 18x9.5 +38. No rubbing at full lock with 255/45 tires. Which is interesting since the stock tires rubbed before the swap. I did raise the car a half inch or so, so that probably helped too.
post #12 of 416 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 07:25 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: forester XT touring
I love the wheels setup man! I have liked rotas for years and your choice looks great! As of right now I'm lower but I will be going with a 2" lift and a more aggressive 4x4 build for more summer offroad adventures.
But you car looks amazing!

buy it, build it, drive the hell out of it!
post #13 of 416 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 08:04 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:

such a sweet set up. You just need a lip and it will be perfect
post #14 of 416 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Garage
Thanks guys! I'm working on the lip. Debating on either the lip or the STI steering wheel next. They should be easier to source than what I really want: 2015+ WRX leather seats.....
post #15 of 416 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 10:59 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT
Quote:

Wow. Perfect ride height.

I'll need to pick your brain when it's time to take the plunge on a set of coilovers. Where did you get yours from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Member Gallery > Members' Journals

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode