('03-'05) Project 2.5XSTi - Page 19 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #271 of 827 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: FXT
Transmission: 4EAT
Pictures might not show all the fine details, but it looks like you scored on some excellent condition used parts. I might do the same, but keep my stock airbag with the STi wheel.

Once you complete the interior conversion it's going to be like driving a whole different car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 827 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: 2.5 XT Limited
Transmission: 5-spd's of DOOM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyduey View Post
Pictures might not show all the fine details, but it looks like you scored on some excellent condition used parts. I might do the same, but keep my stock airbag with the STi wheel.

Once you complete the interior conversion it's going to be like driving a whole different car.
I'm not going to lie, there are some fine details that aren't shown in the pictures, there are some flaws in both parts BUT for the price paid it can't be beat. If I wanted perfect, I would've just ordered it from the factory/stealership and paid the "brand new" price of it all.....but I'm a cheap b@stard and try to get all my stuff as thriftily as possible .

All in all, I'm quite happy with both items and can't wait to pickup the next pieces of the puzzle.

I'm not entirely sure you can maintain use of the stock airbag in the STi steering wheel or not but I do know you can wire in the 2-stage airbag to our cars and it work just fine so that's the plan of attack I'm going with. I think you're right though about completing the interior conversion, it'll feel like and entirely different car when I'm finished.
post #273 of 827 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 11:16 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Transmission: 6MT
Do want that steering wheel! here's that deck i mentioned earlier-http://www.ocarusa.com/
post #274 of 827 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by havocsoftener View Post
Do want that steering wheel! here's that deck i mentioned earlier-http://www.ocarusa.com/
Finders Keepers! heheh.....

That's a fairly neat HU, too bad it's only applicable for the the iPhone 3, 3G, and 4 though plus it isn't double din which is what I want to keep. Even so, very cool idea.
post #275 of 827 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 12:50 PM
Forum Member

Ya i like it, only thing I do not like about it is you have to actually turn off the radio app before you can play your ipod
post #276 of 827 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by havocsoftener View Post
Ya i like it, only thing I do not like about it is you have to actually turn off the radio app before you can play your ipod
Yeah, I think I might just go for one if my two options I listed earlier. Keeps it OEM looking but would still allow me to use my iPod or iPhone to play music or whatever AND is cheaper.
post #277 of 827 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 04:17 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: '06 STi 6MT
why can't you swap airbag charges? that's all i had to do when i put a 06 sti wheel into my 04 recently.

2004 FXT Stg2 6MT DCCDPro R180 5x114.3
post #278 of 827 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 04:30 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: V70R
Do a writeup on the airbag if I haven't mentioned it already!

Rawr PFF!

250+k mile club
post #279 of 827 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraktal View Post
why can't you swap airbag charges? that's all i had to do when i put a 06 sti wheel into my 04 recently.
Actually, I was just drawing from memory about a thread I read a while back and saved. All the info I'm going to use is found here:
05 STI steering wheel with cruise swap into an 04 XT.
How To - Swap a 2004 USDM STi Steering Wheel into a 2002 WRX - NASIOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigboat_2 View Post
Do a writeup on the airbag if I haven't mentioned it already!
Haha, will do man. Once I get all my parts gathered up I'll be doing a nice write-up of what I did and how I did it, complete with pictures and all.
post #280 of 827 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 09:31 AM
Forum Member

first link is good info if you plan to wire up the newer 05+ style cruise stalks, which your jdm wheel does not have :P

from the second link i would assume you are going to attempt to swap your forester cruise stalk over to the jdm wheel? does the new wheel even have a hole on the side of it for a cruise stalk to pass through, or any of the moldings inside for it to screw into?

still, i would just swap the airbag charge from your original wheel into the jdm wheel. it's four 8mm nuts iirc and then will plug right back into the clockspring like normal. same if you think you can swap the cruise stalk on, no wiring needed as it will just plug right back into your original wiring again.

post #281 of 827 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
first link is good info if you plan to wire up the newer 05+ style cruise stalks, which your jdm wheel does not have :P

from the second link i would assume you are going to attempt to swap your forester cruise stalk over to the jdm wheel? does the new wheel even have a hole on the side of it for a cruise stalk to pass through, or any of the moldings inside for it to screw into?

still, i would just swap the airbag charge from your original wheel into the jdm wheel. it's four 8mm nuts iirc and then will plug right back into the clockspring like normal. same if you think you can swap the cruise stalk on, no wiring needed as it will just plug right back into your original wiring again.
I'm at work right now so I'll have to check on this after I get home later today.

From what I recall though (and I'll have to re-read them), both those links together talk about swapping out the stock steering wheel for an updated one. They also talk about swapping the OEM cruise control stalk or wiring the newer version too. I think it also talked about how to wire in the newer style airbag or it might have been how to fit the OEM one inside the new steering wheel (can't remember).
post #282 of 827 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Forum Member

yeah dude, no worries no rush. but more chitchat!

so basically behind the steering wheel is the clockspring, which has an electrical ribbon in it to allow the steering wheel to turn, but still pass electrical connections through it right? the airbag/cruise/horn all come through this connection (duh).

you have a good, working airbag charge already on your original forester wheel. this is also already plugged in and wired correctly to the clockspring. so what i'm saying is just swap that airbag charge into the jdm wheel. it should (will) work/fit just fine and is also, therefore, already wired correctly for the clockspring.

the same also applies for the horn. though this is just a simple single wire with a blade connection so all you need to do is plug it into the jdm wheel at its spot.

the cruise may or may not be a different story. the reason i bring it up is because you bought a jdm steering wheel, that does not have cruise control whatsoever. so i'm curious if the wheel is even setup for it, meaning if there's even the right molding inside for you to do the cruise stalk "swap" that the nasioc thread entails. and i also believe there is no side exit hole for the cruise stalk to even pass through? so there may be some physical modification in that area.

however if you can successfully swap over your cruise stalk then the wiring will be simple, as in no wiring involved. all you need to do is plug the cruise stalk back into your forester clockspring wiring as, again, it's already setup for it.

Last edited by fraktal; 12-14-2012 at 10:42 AM.
post #283 of 827 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
yeah dude, no worries no rush. but more chitchat!

so basically behind the steering wheel is the clockspring, which has an electrical ribbon in it to allow the steering wheel to turn, but still pass electrical connections through it right? the airbag/cruise/horn all come through this connection (duh).

you have a good, working airbag charge already on your original forester wheel. this is also already plugged in and wired correctly to the clockspring. so what i'm saying is just swap that airbag charge into the jdm wheel. it should (will) work/fit just fine and is also, therefore, already wired correctly for the clockspring.

the same also applies for the horn. though this is just a simple single wire with a blade connection so all you need to do is plug it into the jdm wheel at its spot.

the cruise may or may not be a different story. the reason i bring it up is because you bought a jdm steering wheel, that does not have cruise control whatsoever. so i'm curious if the wheel is even setup for it, meaning if there's even the right molding inside for you to do the cruise stalk "swap" that the nasioc thread entails. and i also believe there is no side exit hole for the cruise stalk to even pass through? so there may be some physical modification in that area.

however if you can successfully swap over your cruise stalk then the wiring will be simple, as in no wiring involved. all you need to do is plug the cruise stalk back into your forester clockspring wiring as, again, it's already setup for it.
Hmm.....interesting.....I'll have a closer look-see at my new(to me) steering wheel once I get home from work here in a few hours and see what's up. I'll also root through my toolbox and see if I have the correct bits to take the wheel apart fully or not.

Thanks for the heads up though dude! I can't wait for my new carpet to get here and I still need to order new window gussets. Once those items get here ill be ready to tear into my interior to scrub and swap it all out. Only thing left at that point will be to pull the seat heaters outta my stock seats and put them in the new seats!
post #284 of 827 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 12:57 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: FXT & s2000
Transmission: 4eat
Just read through all of this again...

Did I tell you how awesome your car is?!?!? :)

04 Silver XT Limited 4eat, 06 STi AW
post #285 of 827 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: V70R
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3nj11 View Post
Only thing left at that point will be to pull the seat heaters outta my stock seats and put them in the new seats!
Huh? I thought you had 07 STi limited seats (b@stard), which are heated...

Rawr PFF!

250+k mile club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Member Gallery > Members' Journals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.