Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

"O" Rally Forester Sti.

('98-'00) 
47K views 292 replies 38 participants last post by  B85 
#1 ·
I am new here. Hello.

This will be my build of a Rally X , Rally , Track day car , Forester .
It will start with a 1997/98 Doner. Ok its more a Kit car! :huh:

Here is the Data plate from the V2/3 Doner.

So, off I go. I will need all the help I can get, :icon_redface: and THANKS!

Randy

See less See more
#6 ·
Got the parts out of the car. 3 pallets! :icon_eek:

The steering shaft/wheel had been removed so I started on the JDM swap. Well the Impreza and Forester shafts are different length's. And mounting brackets are also. I will cut off what I need from the JDM and install on the Forester shaft. :crazy:

Left is Forester and right is the JDM.

Forester bracket cut off ,next will be to remove the JDM,weld back on.

Randy

#9 ·
Some cleaning.
Bolting things down like the lower control arm,front and rear.:huh:

Beat the tire area back down. Was used for a jack point.:crazy:

Removed the rear bumper. Its like 42 Lbs. Will build a tube bumper with pull points and a 2"x2" reciver pickup. May need to tow a trailer ?:shake:

For the most point I found alot that needs to be done to the chassis from before.:icon_rolleyes: no big deal !

And just a lot old worn out stuff!

Here are some of the first ideas ?

Input? :icon_redface:

Randy

#15 ·
I'm also caging my Forester but I don't think I'll be going into the cockpit like you I am trying to keep it semi-comfortable for passengers haha. I'm going to tie the cage into the pillars just behind the front seats for some stability but your idea looks awesome for rigidity. Also I'm thinking about weld in some tubing from the firewall to the front wheel wells like you have drawn on but yours will be tied right into the cockpit which will be sick. I'm just trying to think of the best way to keep maintenance easy it's already super tight in these bays

#16 ·
Their are a lot of things to think about when installing a "cage". I have "NO" air bag system. On the city streets,I have cut my chances by maybe 1/2?
Oh, and my Forester was missing it when I got it! And it will not be a DD!

Most cage systems need the "BEST" seat money can buy! And belts down ,tie! A cage for the street , I just do not know?

#17 ·
My Forester is not for the street ;) except for the odd weekend & meets. The guy doing my cage is a friend and has done many many cages so were going to go over a lot of different designs even though it's not a DD I am factoring in comfort and serviceability into all the things I do. Are you welding up your own cage?

#20 ·
Gutted! I will fab up some Alum. door panels and cover pannels. But that will be about it.

I love to weld,been TIG welding for 40+ years. Its so clean! I may add a MIG welder for all the seam welding ? Not a fan of MIG,to much splatter.

#25 ·
Did some test fitting. Found that the brake buster is bigger on the Forester and has a shorter rod to pedal rod than the Impreza. And a Impreza pedal assy. will not fit. To long at the mounts to the front bulkhead.

Now I will start looking for Forester padel assy.

Randy

#26 ·
Working on the dash. Making the JDM fit the Forester. Here is a look at the bottom of a JDM and a Forester.

And temp shot of the JDM cover plate.

Need to build some brackets for the gauge system , and do some fitting still.
Randy

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.