Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

my00 S-turbo daily/trackday project.

('98-'00) 
8K views 78 replies 6 participants last post by  euroviking 
#1 · (Edited)
HI!
Im from Sweden, and i dont spell very well.

So i've been a Subaru admirerer since i cant remember and for the last 3 years ive been in love with the forester. Been lurking this site for over a year and ive finaly got my own SF5 to sink my teeth in.

This is going to be my daily and enthusiast car at the same time. Both me and my GF bike, ski and skate so we need the space and the platform itself makes it possible for me to do trackdays aswell.

Im in between jobs atm and i am also going to start studyting for a master in engineering this spring so money is tight altho im alwaus spending too much on the car when i shouldent so im in the £60 club for sure.

So i am going for a engine rebuild eventially (new bearings, rings, valves milled etc.) or maybe a new low milage engine when this lump throws in the towel. right now I'm just going to leave the engine at boost cut with a td04l and deal with handling and looks first. Later I'm going for a 270-290hp setup with a td04-19t blower to get good tourqe low down. Going for an APEXI POWER FC ecu to map myself since ssm, Sti takeoffs with oem springs, full polybush suspension, sti steering rack. Bigger ARB's. Nothing crazy to be able to daily it and drive fast on bumpy tarmac, TOUGE MAXIMUM ATTACK!!! "hot version" <3

I am just going to get on with pictures of what i have been doing during the month i've owned it.

This picture is from when i parked it at home. The paint was kind of faded. Hood scoop has lost all its clearcoat, and there are alot of other scuffs and chips around the body that needs tending to.

Went to a friends garage to borrow som better pads since mine were toast.

Boot before:

Boot after:

One week after buying the car i recieved some service items, Fuel filter, air filter, oilfilter and oil. Redline Lightweight shockproof gearbox, sparkplugg, Gates V-Gripp cambelt kits with rollers and tentioner, New Cooling liquid.
Also i thought the drive train was kind of sloppy so i bought groupe N; engine, trans, pitch stop mounts. Also got some STRONGFLEX diff polybushing. They are a smaller polybushings company from poland. ALOT cheaper than whiteline or powerflex. They seem really good and they had great fitment. Havent read anything bad about them.
Also got a 3" full decat trubo back ebay exhaust including up-pipe.

I had a weekend to fit it all!

I started with the cambeltkit since it was most urgent.

I had the best mechanics mirror!

I had noticed the cooling level going down slowly...

its on! but i must say the lines do not line up properly! you just have to find the point where they are THE CLOSEST eachother.

sawed the old diff bushings out with a metal saw blade, took a while but got the job done. Half of the new bushing lubed up.

had to "screw" the bushing in place. Was kind of a pain but i finaly got them in place.

Yes i broke the temperature sensor for the diff when i lowered the diff, SIGH.
I could just slide the broken off part back on and glue them togather so operation is normal. Will replace later on.

engnie mounts!

While the engine was "loose" i jacked it up somewhat and changed the sparkplugs,, I tried with the engine mounted down, but that just drove me to insanity.

trans mount

engine mount (the drivers side was a pain to get out with the engine heater in the way!

Pitch stop in place

The new oil, also a bottle of S1. Ive only heard good things about that additive so i am on my 3rd bottle right now.

too much pictures ---> next post

See less See more
#66 ·
The fresh cold autumn air is so nice this time of year, most trees haven't shifted colors yet, but when they do I'll be sure to take many pics of the car in the autumn forests.

I got this from the wreckers yesterday. I'm going to build an intercooler sprayer with it. I'm need to get the pressure down to the point where you, while your doing your hot laps, can keep it switched on and still have the IC being able to evaporate most of the water since most of the cooling is going to come from evaporation on the actual fins.

Many people say that the gains of this is kind of negligible, but I have the small type IC that is stock on this car, and people are saying that the Sti tmic is effective upp to and somewhat beyond 300hp. Going back to me having the smaller one also be good top mount, on top of the engine soaking up a lot of heat I think that this should keep the charge air many degrees cooler.

Perfect fit within my homebuilt sparetyre standoff to keep the floor from caving in when carrying heavy stuff In the back.

Finally a selfie car pic @tolxter

Skickat från min F8131 via Tapatalk

#67 ·
Yaay! Nice glasses :D
About IC spray... every little bit you can do to cool down the intercooler helps. Because it's really hot down there. Just had a talk about that with a friend, he shared experience from rallying. While lancer evo front mounted cooler reaches 38 celsius at the end of special stage, subaru can get up 100 easly.
I have seen a bit of subaru genuine i/c spray parts on scoobynet, maybe it's worth to look there.
Also, sf5 has i guess smallest scoop available. Maybe you should check out some options to get larger one?
Looks are disputable, but this is largest available:

If looking for more suble, there was a tutorial somewhere, how to adapt scoop from bugeye wrx. Still, that involved sanding and painting but looks better imho.

#68 · (Edited)
Yes I feel the IC after flogging the car 10lap round the track, the air was drisseling hot. I'm going to buy heat reflecting tape and wrap all the intake and charge pipes and the IC with, also going to buy those composit intake spacers to prevent the intake from getting superheated from the engine block. This setup didn't cost me mutch so I'm sticking with it. Just need a good nozzle and I'm set.

I'm going for the stock Sti scoop that resembles the same style that we currently have, but is about twice the height. It does Ned some cutting and sanding but it just a couple of hours to get it fixed. They are super good looking, but also not super easy to find and often quite pricy. But one of those are on the wish list along with an gc8 Sti IC. But I'm prioritizing apexi ecu, bigger brakes and a new steering rack first besides small cheap project like this. Will be going good EL headers and optimal up pipe as well as smooth silicon intake plumbing I stead of the ribbed stuff currently there, also mildy ported heads by myself. Aiming for 300+ with injectors pump and the td04-19t witch with all this should be doable. Oh yeah, this is with the gt engine / heads. Best of all boost from 2.5k

This is the bigger and nice looking scoop, should be sufficient.
Picture stolen from "@silverforester" on IG. Nice feed, go follow.

#70 ·
The novelty of having the apexi handcontroller sitting there on the dash beats all, and they have new super easy to read led screens now, also being able to enter the map and do changes whenever on the fly I pretty nice! So I'm going for one of those to map myself. I have the fort face-lift ed version witch still has the older ecu and running gear. It was my01 that it all changed. So we essentially have exactly the same car, at least until I change the cams or the engine [emoji2] [emoji14]

Skickat från min F8131 via Tapatalk

#73 ·
Hi again! Ive been off for a while during the winter, but ive been gathering some parts now during the spring and im itching to continuing upgrading and taking the car to more trackdays this year!

Ive spent alot of time here, playing Assetto Corsa witch is alot of fun and keeps you on the track regardless the weather outside!

I dont have a lof of pics of progress yet but here are my new tires, Nankang NS-2R in 180 treadwear, super good tyres for not alot of cash!

235/45 r17 so 1cm wider aswell! :nerd: Not gonna mount them untill i have installed my new loweringsprings and done the sub frame spacer removal!

Got a gauge pod for cheap, but i only have an oil temp gauge atm, so im making a block off plate for the other holes until later. The pod is designed for 60mm gauges also, and the one i have is 52mm so it also serves as a spacer.

Gave my exhaust the anual polish, also gave it a DIY tianium burn! :)

Also wired up the instercooler watersprayer!

Also got the service kit in the mail with some new rockercover gaskets! :)

And as said alot of new parts are on the way, so i will need to do quite a few updates in the coming weeks!

Very exited about this! >:)

Some stuff that are coming!

WRX brakes and discs
WRX steering rack
Eibach STI lowering springs
Yellow Rear wishbone bushings
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Parallel fuel delivery mod

And alot of other small bits and bobs! :)

Stay tuned!

#75 ·
Short update!

Made this, looks decent. Wired up the gauge and mounted the adaper, leaked like a MF so decided to bin it straight away! Therefor sensor not plugged in yet :crying:

Got a plug to screw right into the block instead, so gonna install that during the upcoming week instead.

Also went and got all this stuff + the eibach springs,, lets the building comense! >:)

Stay tuned! :nerd:

#77 ·
Thanx man! :)

So made a little slow progress but came far from where id like to be before going to italy for a couple of weeks. :|
Even tho i did not remove sub frame spacers or install springs or refresh the greace in the shocks or mount the new tires or install the new apexi ecu (well i did but it was broken, so have sent it off to repairs) i still had an awsome time at the track this weekend, went real hard and destroyed my ABS and got flatpots on all four wheels, also whent off in a corner at just under 100km/h, but i blaim the faulty ABS functioning on and off. I have driven alot without ABS before and im going to simply unplugg it and adjust to driving without it since its going to be a track car mainly from now on!

I set a good time for what the car is atm, coming close to the faster cars in the club and beating alot of souped up STI's. Then the rain came down,, HARD! I just started doing big powerslides and having loads of fun, then got serius and went hard a couple of sessions and went only a few seconds slower in the wet than in the dry with bald flatspotted old street tyres! Also i totaly destroyed my pads on my new brakes, so im going for some proper track pads when i get back from vacation! Here are some few pictures of progress and from the track! Enjoy!

Ps. Ill make another post soon with plans on the transformation that the fozzy is gonna undergo when i return!

Painted the brakes and calipers.

Apexi box was shot but i got good suport from John from FC-Hako whom i sent the unit to after tourbleshooting with him for a full day!

The hand conmander looks killer on the dash tho! :)

Hard on the brakes! 170 -> 60 km/h!

Turning in!

Trying to find grip!

On the POWAAAAA! >:)

Toootaly shredded the brakes! Had an IR temp reader borrowed and they were fine after a cooling lap so the discs are still good! :surprise:

As said, this was all for now! Going on vacation tomorrow, but ill be doing a little update with some plans and also some inspirational pictures! :grin2:

Cheers!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.