Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Matt's 98

('98-'00) 
42K views 261 replies 33 participants last post by  Matt. 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello. This is a journal of all my progress working on my 98 Forester. I've had my car for about two years now and I still enjoy it as much as I did they day I got it. My plan is just to continue making my car more and more unique and fitting to myself.

Engine and performance:
Kartboy short throw shifter and Cobb knob
Injen cold air intake
KartBoy and Tic shift bushings
Grimmspeed crank pulley
Borla replica headers
WRX muffler-->Installed
Grimmspeed MCB
Kartboy pitch stop

Exterior and suspension:
New rear hatch letters
Rally Armor flaps
Tint
Thule 594 Sidearm bike rack
Plasti dipped wheels
WRX wagon struts and springs-->Installed
Face lift (PLastidip grill)
Prodrive blue springs --> Installed

Interior:
New head unit
Front door speakers
New shift boot

Thanks for looking, -Matt

See less See more
#15 ·
You say you have limited mechanical experience, but you are not afraid of anything. Be very proud of your natural abilities! That knob is cool, and learning to solder on those little resistors is one very hard way to learn. You have my respect.

#19 · (Edited)
#26 ·
Very nice original Forester. What kind of audio setup are you thinking about?
I just wanted to say that i had the original speakers in rear(,at least i think,)and some kind of old Alpine's in the front = it was awful. I suggest 16,5 cm in front and 13 cm to the back. Both component. You dont even need amp for the speakers. They play a lot better than originals even from headunit. And of course a little sub helps it all. Since mine is a everyday car and used to be a work car, i did not spend much, but still i am very satisfied the way it turned out. About the tinting... i am also considering it :). How did you repair the clock, i wanted to ask? It would also be really good to see the interior, because i have not seen interior like that on a Forester before :).

#29 ·
Thank you! I'm quite excited for audio, going to order a new head unit pretty soon here. What brand of speakers would you recommend?
Depends on your budget. Most people only are aware of consumer level brands...sony, pioneer, kenwood, panasonic, etc. I'm lucky enough to have some connections with a body shop, which is where I just picked up my subs, which are pretty much holy. This particular shop deals mostly with Audison and Hertz stuff, which is Italian, and the Audison Thesis line of speakers is more or less the best out there.

Now if you don't really have 1500 dollars to spend on door speakers and another 1500 for tweeters, plus processors, crossovers, amps, all that...go for something like focal, boston, or even alpine. Personally, you can't go wrong with alpine type-x pro series stuff. It's less than $350 for the front door speakers on eBay. Get yourself a good amp and the alpine imprint audio processor and you'll be absolutely blown away for well under a grand.

Head unit...I've actually always loved sony because of their user friendly setups and simple appearance.

#28 ·
I will be waiting for the interior pics then :). As for the clock, that is not problem on my car. I have red and seened the topic, does not help. For the audio, head unit = Becker and Nakamichi are very good. For just better audio = Alpine, Pioneer, Clarion (of course not the cheapest ones :)).
Speakers = Mb Quart (old name, now German Maestro) - very good without amp, Focal, DLS, Rainbow, Polk. For the price and quality i would pick Focal or Mb Quart.
I dont know if it helps you but this page should help you (they offer very good prices and also... headunits and other car stuff :
sonicelectronix dot com

Front Speakers (16.5 cm component) :
Rear Speakers (10 cm component)
(13 cm component)
(Needs a little bit more modification, but 13 cm is almost the best to put there. Everything else would need a lot more modification, for example 16.5 cm. I think most of the audio workshops are able to put 10 cm or 13 cm components into your car)

I hope i could help :).

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.