Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Joe's 2006 FXT "MeatWagon"

('06-'08) 
30K views 111 replies 14 participants last post by  E30 Joe 
#1 · (Edited)
Joe's 2006 Forester XT 5MT

Exhaust Clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbsbTssrUsw&feature=youtu.be

In February of 2014 I bought my first Subaru, my 2006 FXT 5 speed manual.

124,000 on the clock, and 100% stock.

The first week:

Interior:
GR STI Seats

Exterior:
Sunday, March 19th - Blacked out Headlights/housings
Sunday, April 13th - Window Tint

Engine:
Thursday, April 17th - Cobb SF Intake
Tuesday, August 19th - Cobb V3 Accessport
GrimmSpeed Ceramic Coated Heatshield
VF39 W/ Grimmspeed wastegate bracket
TurboSmart CompGate 40mm EWG
ETS TMIC
DW200 Fuel Pump

Exhaust:
Turbo XS Catback
3" Catless bellmouth downpipe
Grimmspeed EWG Up Pipe

Suspension/Wheel and Tire:
Airlift Performance V2
18x10 +18 Work Emotion XD9's (245/40/18 ContiPro Contact)
-OR-
18x9.5 +34 Varrstoen ES2 w/ Orange Powdercoat (225/45/18 Contipro Contact)
Tuesday, April 15th - 2007 STI Springs + WRX Wagon KYB's
Stance Super Sport+ F/R Camber plates
BC BR Type Coilovers F/R Camber plates
2007 STI Rear Sway Bar W/ Mounts

Misc:
ARP Extended Lug Studs
Gorilla Racing Open Ended Lugs

See less See more
#2 ·
Sunday, March 9th 2014

I pulled my headlights out last night and dissembled them this morning to prep them for the first round of murdered-out-ness.

Locate the culprit (so much chrome...)

Also be sure to wear gloves! Trust me! You wont get finger prints all over the insides of the headlights.

Here's another issue (still too much chrome)

For the first round of blaaaaack we will be using this:

Mask off the whatever you are spraying.

1 Coat

3 Coats, apply and let dry

Next we will be using this, I chose plastidip because of it's ease of use and I like the finish more than paint. Plus if it starts to peel/fade/bubble or anything it's easy to remove and redo:

You'll need to pop the reflector out of the housing be careful because it feels easy to break, I didn't break either side but I felt like I was close.

After the next round of blaaaaaaack things are looking good:

This is why you wear gloves, that glue is the stickiest thing ever and impossible to get off your hands.

Put everything back together and boom! More black! I also sprayed the high beam bowl a light coat of the black chrome, just for a little extra black. It does not affect the light output much if any.

#6 ·
I keep forgetting to take some photos of the new headlights, they look very good. Suits the black well. But I did get new plates in the mail today since my old ones were starting to peel (yeah, I didn't know it was possible).

I'll take some photos tomorrow, promise haha.

G
#13 ·
You can't open up the rears easily, they use hard epoxy instead of a rubber glue seal. If you want to get in those you might have to cut and then plastic weld them back together. Not worth the effort over buying the Sports tails for $125 apiece, IMO.

#19 ·
Waiting to buy parts sucks.

Even when my springs that only took 24 hours to ship came I was still dreading the wait! I can't wait for my wheels and tires, just gotta hold off a bit longer before I buy them.

Just have to put in the extra hours at work to speed things up! Looking at a set of LM Replicas and 245/45r18 tires or 255r40 if I can find any I like.

#26 ·
Been running my V3 accessport on stage 1 for awhile now, holds boost decent at 14 PSI for my peak normally (I believe the target PSI is 13.5?), the tune did wake the car up a bit, but I want more! I just got my Catless downpipe in and will be installing that and then running stage 2 until I get a protune.

If I'm not mistake the cobb stage 2 is for a catted DP and I would like to get a proper tune for a catless one.

#28 ·
My main concern is being catless, with an intake, at a relatively low altitude, where it gets to -40F in the winter that I might, Just might, get boost creep.

I want to get an EWG setup ASAP however, it's a great upgrade for boost control and it really makes a good platform for building later.

#30 · (Edited)
3" Catless down pipe in today, TurboXS 3" exhaust in tomorrow! Life is good and it's good to own a Forester!

Gettin protuned on the TD04 soon too!

And man I never thought getting that downpipe in would be such a PITA! Every single bolt on the OEM heat shield was rusty as well as half the heat shield. I mangled the hell out of it getting it out so I just bought a Grimmspeed Ceramic coated turbo heat shield as well.

#31 ·
And today I finally got around to welding up the rest of the exhaust... Sounds great! And it's not ungodly loud like I was expecting which is a bonus for me!

It's a TurboXS for an STI that I had modified a bit to fit properly, it's extended so the tip will stick out past the bumper about an inch so no burning!

#35 ·
Scored a Grimmspeed Ceramic coated turbo heat shield, on account of removing my stock one with rage and a hammer. Love having Grimmspeed's shop 20 minutes from my house.

Looks like a lot less of a pain in the butt to remove/install compared to the stock one.

#37 ·
Really glad I went with bronze wheels instead of gold. I looked for a lot of different wheels before I found these. I always thought Bronze would be too dark on a black car but I really like how it turned out. It was this silver BBS LM Replicas and I'm glad I ended up with these.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.