Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

HotShot's '16 XTT

('14-'18) 
18K views 83 replies 15 participants last post by  Raz007 
#1 · (Edited)
2016 Forester XT Touring in Quartz Blue Pearl
Purchase date 12 Sep 15

This is my second XT, due to the first one being a jinxed car and either people hitting me, or cows in the middle of the road at 11PM at night. Loved the car, but had to get rid of it before something else happened.

I will update this main thread and drop in current pics as the upgrades proceed.

New Pic as of 6/20

Pics as of 10/5

Many of these pieces were on, or ordered for the '15 and never installed.

:Modifications
Day 1
  • JDM MFD hood with red stitching, installed day 1.

Day 2
  • Torklift Eco hitch installed with no-drill bumper pull method (yes, I pulled the bumper after owning it less than 24 hours and less than 100 miles)
  • Curt trailer light wiring harness
  • Invidia N1 exhaust
  • STi 20mm rear sway bar
  • Whiteline KBR15 rear sway bar mount support brace
  • Cargo area cover
  • Seat back protector set
  • Weathertech floor liners (live on dirt road)
  • Subaru Sunshade
  • Linked COBB Accessport and downloaded Factory ROM file and submitted to COBB for development (They don't have files for the '16 yet)
  • Front License plate bracket from C&C Car Werks

Update for 10/4 - I haven't been able to do much, as I had a big event that I was in charge of that I had to get done. I hosted about 260 people and the event went well.. now back to the Foz modz!!
  • Installed my Subaru Sport Grill. Decided not to do the vinyl wrap, as the edges match my new wheels.
  • Install TSW Bathurst wheels in Gunmetal and Yoko YK580 tires... Tires changed to Michelin Premier A/S due to tire shop error on the YOKO's my benefit, as I got them at the same price.
  • Got a start on installing some of my Diode Dynamics LED's, interior is done. Now onto the exteriors.
  • Panavise dash phone mount bracket. What a PITA that was!!
  • RokBlokz mudflaps over the Factory mud guards..
  • Fender Flares

Update 12/11
I have installed some of these prior to today, but I did the STi wheel this evening per the instructions in the forum... went very smoothly.. all of the below are installed.
  • SSD Strut Tower brace
  • COBB Accessport - Fun factor +10!!
  • Tint windows and Moon Roof.
  • Hella Super-tones
  • Subaru Vent-shades
  • LED Vent DRL in dark smoke
  • LED lighting from Diode Dynamics
  • Morimoto XB LED (Type S) Fogs
  • STi Steering wheel with WRX wheel backer for Paddles.
  • WRX Shift knob cover and shifter boot w/red stitching to match the steering wheel and MFD cover.

Update 4/19/16
STi Pink Springs installed... mmmm handling!!

Update 6/24/16
  • Plasti-dipped rear badges in Charcoal with Glossifier to coordinate wheels and Sport Grill surround.
  • "tS" Emblem on hatch under Forester.
  • WRX front Seats installed with STi headrests...

:Future Modifications.
  • Plastidip side chrome to black it out.
  • possibly WRX Control covers to black the steering wheel look.
  • Perrin M/C brace.
  • Thule Aero cross-bars... already have them, but will only install when needed for the roof basket.

More to come.. :wink2:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
A few pics here, don't have a full pic of the Foz, as it rained all day today and yesterday and she's already a mess.

It has pinstripes, DIO, that were put on by the dealer it landed at. They are coming off pronto!!

Pulled the bumper cover and "impact bar" to install Torklift Ecohitch. BTW, they need to be a little less "eco" and send carriage bolts instead of regular bolts and relying on star washers to keep them from turning. What a PITA trying to get 2 washers, a lock washer, and a nut on during a solo install!

I really like the installed look of this hitch over the Curt I had on the '15 though!!

#3 · (Edited)
Wheels are in and on... When I went to the store to get my tires, they only had 2. Since I had made the appointment 3 days prior and the computer said they had all 4 in stock, they honored the pricing on the Yokohama tires toward another brand that they had in my size. Ended up with Michelin Premier A/S tires... I'm happy with them, but will probably go back to the Yoko's after I wear these out. They had a little more aggressive profile and tread pattern.

I also installed my RokBlokz today and got a start on the fender flares, 1 fender done, luckily I have tomorrow off, I will do the other 3 in the morning.

RokBlokz when on pretty similar to the '15 up front, only a little different due to the factory mudguards..

Still debating on the RockBlokz stickers... I did get Blue so I might just put them on the fronts and leave the back clean...

Here you can see I used my heat gun to turn the inside corners in. I was getting a little rubbing on the '15, and now with the factory guards, there will be about another 1/16" thickness. If I get rubbing, I would rather the tires have a ramp to rub, than an edge to grab.

In the rear, it was a different story... The factory guards have some additional contours that get in the way of the RokBlokz... Here is the factory guard shape...

Had to trim the 'blokz.. Multiple attempts.. finally got it to fit like I liked it....

Used that as a template for the other side...

Installed fender flares too....

#7 ·
I'll second the good call on the TSW's, love mine and nice choice on your FXT color. Your mod list is looking great- you, me and @FlFozzy will be put together almost the same. Be badass to be able to meet up for a photo shoot when all mods are completed.

#8 ·
Thanks @Jhoo !! I'm gonna try to meet up with @FL Fozzy some time.... after I get more mods done.. so we can compare. I won't be dropping mine though... muddy dirt roads where I live that get rutted up sometimes when there's lots of rain.

All...

I updated my post above with some recent additions. Hope to have photos tomorrow of the car with the recent mods.

#11 ·
@FL Fozzy, I work in Orlando along I-4, and live in Lake County, just south of Leesburg.

I think you mentioned that meet before. My challenge with that is, the wifey is a night shift nurse and works every Friday. If she happens to have one off, it probably means we're going somewhere together, and car meets aren't her thing. The only way that would work, would be if she has some vacation time, goes out of town and takes the kids along with her. Otherwise I would be all in, as I love car meets.

#12 ·
@canadian XT Sorry man! I didn't take photos during the install. I was trying to be so careful with the radio that I didn't take the time to shoot pics.

Word of advise, the screw that the Panavise instructions show to use isn't there with the new radio. I went and bought it.. Part number is 904500013 and it cost me all of 32 cents.

The only permanent mod necessary was to grind about 1/8" off the right side radio bracket, as it has a tab that sticks out right where the panavise mount installs in the dash.

I will try to take installed pics when I pull the radio again to do my footwell light kit from Diode Dynamics, but I'm not sure when I'm going to get to that yet.

#17 ·
@Canadian_XT

Thanks!!
Yes, I did remove the bracket, I had the head unit all plugged back in when I discovered that it was interfering, so I just wiggled it back a bit and took out the 6 Phillips head screws. I didn't want to have to disconnect and reconnect all those plugs again just yet.

#19 ·
Thanks man. I liked it so much, I removed it from the '15 XT to install it in the '16 XT.

@HotShot308

Looks good! Any interference w/ a passenger's legs? Also, want to come and install mine? :D

Did you have to remove the bracket to grind off that section? Wonder if you could just flex it back and forth to break point. Removing the nav was such a pain in the *** that I really don't want to do it again. :(

@Canadian_XT No interference with the passenger leg, unless they are over 6'2" and keep the seat slid forward... :laugh:

I'm gonna thank @aeoporta for this image, as I haven't pulled my head unit out again yet...

See the tab hanging off the side of the radio, down near the lower bottom edge, but against the face-plate, that has a hole in it that isn't being used... I had to grind about 1/4" off that..

#21 ·
How easy was the Torklift install? I almost bought a Curt but love the look of yours. I have a '16 xt and will be doing this soon.

@zac0419

Sorry, I missed this. I did the bumper removal method. It took a little longer (I did exhaust both times as well), but I think it was actually easier than the drill method. The best part is... no metal shavings dropping on your face and the peace of mind of not breaking the factory seal for corrosion protection.

The Torklift also uses the furthest forward hole, which I think spreads the load weight through the chassis better than the Curt on my '15XT did. The instructions that come with the Torklift make removal of the bumper cover very clear and detailed as well!

Also the hitch face is slightly higher and farther back on the vehicle, so easier hooking up the trailer. Well worth the extra money to purchase the Torklift, and the time spent on install.

Also, grew up on the lakes south of Leesburg, small world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is a small world!!! I am just off US 27 and SR 19 a little south of Leesburg:laugh:... only takes me 15 minutes to get to Leesburg!! I grew up in DeLand...

#23 ·
Stock hangers right now. However I do have a slight vibration in hard right hand curves, so I'm going to check it out soon to see if the exhaust is rubbing somewhere. I will update if I find anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#40 ·
Thanks guys! I haven't had much time to do upgrades lately, although I did update Post #1 that I got my STi steering wheel installed.

I have also purchased some LED's to augment my reverse lighting and will installing those soon. They are flush mount and will be in the bumper, so I'm trying to determine the best location before punching holes in my bumper cover.

Additionally, I will also be installing a trailer brake controller and running my trailer light wires so hook-up is outside the vehicle, with a 4-pin and 7-pin dual plug. I really don't like having to dig the trailer light plug out and hang it over the bumper every time I tow my trailer.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.