416Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 406 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: FXT Limited
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
GTEASER's 2009 XTeaser

It was 10/11/15 when I picked up my new daily, a Spark Silver Metallic 2009 Forester XT Limited, from the original owner. They were an older couple who have had many Subaru's over the years and she was well taken care of....loaded with black leather, Nav, sport grille, roof spoiler, Subaru OEM 1.25" hitch and Lo-Jack (LOL!). She has a few minor scratches, but not a single door ding, the interior is pretty much immaculate. She was primarily the wife's car, but the husband took care of her like it was his sports car, he was pretty OCD about all the details of the car, exactly the type of seller I like.

She has 45,555 miles on the clock, but only about 1,500 miles on a brand new Subaru short block and turbo. The motor succumbed at approximately 44,000 miles to the well documented crankshaft debris issue that Subaru had with the late '08 thru early '09 turbo motors. Since it was out of warranty, Subaru stepped up by providing the them with a brand new shortblock but wouldn't cover labor, etc. Instead of having Subaru do the work, the husband opted to have OutFront Automotive in L.A. do the work, tear down and rebuild, done right, with the original heads thoroughly disassembled and checked, all new gaskets, timing belt, head bolts, a new turbo and water pump, etc. I got her just after the second break in oil change.

I'm not new to Subaru, but I am still rather "green". My first Subaru was a Satin White Pearl 2012 Legacy GT Limited.

Pic the day I got her.

Pic of how she sits currently.

Pics of my other Subaru's, Past and Current

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by GTEASER; 03-06-2017 at 09:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 406 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Mod List

Engine
- Milk Jug Delete (See Post 29)
- AEM Dryflow panel filter (28-20304)
- GrimmSpeed TMIC (see Post ???)

Drivetrain

- RalliTek 4EAT Trans Mount Insert Bushing - Soft (RTEK-111672)

Suspension

- 2014 OEM STi Suspension (springs, shocks, tophats) (See Post 93)
- 1" ADF tophat spacers - front and rear
- Perrin Steering Damper Lockdown (PSP-SUS-565) (See Post 153)
- 24mm Whiteline Front Sway Bar (BSF39XZ) (See Posts 120)
- Moog Front Endlinks (K750049) (See Post 136)
- 2015 20mm STi OEM Rear Sway Bar with Whiteline bushings (See Post 3 and 119)
- Whiteline Adjustable Rear LCA (KTA216) (See Post 143)
- SPC Adjustable Toe Arms (67655) (See Post 210)
- SPL Toe Lockout (SPL-EL-FRS) (See Post 210)

Brakes

- Goodridge (PN 24220) steel braided lines (10-12 Legacy GT fitment) (See Post 366)
- ATE Type200 brake fluid

Front
- Carbotech Front Pads (CT929-1521 - Bobcats) on stock brakes (See Post 5)

Rear
- 2010-2012 Legacy GT/3.6R calipers with stock GT pads
- DBA 4000 ClubSpec slotted rotors

Exterior

- Front OEM Under Bumper

Interior

- 2013 STi Steering Wheel (See Post 12)
- 2010 STi Driver's Airbag (See Post 141)
- OEM JDM Paddle Shifters from AVO with harness (See Post 12)
- Ortiz custom gauge cluster surround

Lighting

- Fogs: VLEDs XTE 9006 5k bulbs (used as DRL)
- DRL (OEM) Disable Mod (See Post 29)
- Independent Fog Mod (See Post 30)

Wheels and Tires

- 18x8+35 TSW Nurburgring in gunmetal with mirror face (See Post 365)
- 245/45-18 BFG SportComp2 A/S

Wish List for Future Reference

DW300C fuel pump #9-309-1008

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by GTEASER; 05-12-2017 at 10:42 AM.
post #3 of 406 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Today I installed the OEM 20mm STi RSB. Woah! What a fantastic difference!! Excellent bang for the buck upgrade, $97 to my door thru Jackie at Annapolis Subaru. Took about 1 leisurely hour.

post #4 of 406 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Also replaced a few things that were broken or missing on the car when I got it....gas cap tether, rear seat recline button bezel and rearview mirror harness cover.

post #5 of 406 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

And one more thing today....installed some fresh front brake pads. The stockers had almost 46k miles on them. Put in Carbotech CT929-1521 (Bobcats).

post #6 of 406 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 06:05 PM
Forum Member

Transmission: 4EAT :(
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I look forward to the mods and pics! FYI I believe the STI RSB is 19mm. If you are still on the OEM Geolander tires that should be your next "mod". A proper all season, or better yet a dedicated summer tire, makes a world of difference!
post #7 of 406 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

The 2015 STi RSB is 20mm. Prior STi RSB's were 19mm. The previous owner put Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric tires on it about 2k miles ago. They are pretty decent, and I would just assume use them up, but I will reserve my ultimate judgement on them until after I lower it and am able to drive it more spiritedly with confidence. Maybe I will just use them for the winter and swap to something more performance oriented next spring. I have a set of Konig Integrams sitting in the garage, 18x9+45, they should fit nicely.

post #8 of 406 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 09:22 PM
Forum Member

Transmission: 4EAT :(
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I don't think you should use those wheels.. especially if they are black. Instead you should sell them to me! For real though those will look so good.
Glack likes this.
post #9 of 406 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Haha! They are matte gunmetal. Should look great with the Spark Silver.

post #10 of 406 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 03:50 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 09
Car Model: Fozzy XT
Transmission: 4 Hungry aka 4EAT
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
+1 for this journal, When I am out and about in the Bay Area. Would love to meet up.

Maint. is key, when proud of boxer
post #11 of 406 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHHHHHH View Post
+1 for this journal, When I am out and about in the Bay Area. Would love to meet up.
@SHHHHHH , definitely hit me up when you're in the area.

Spent a few minutes installing Hogzaust today to get a little sound while I decide on an exhaust setup. At this point thinking a single exit but I want it subtle, not loud.

post #12 of 406 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Today I installed the JDM paddle shifters and a red stitched 2013 STi steering wheel. The wheel is virtually brand new with only about 4k miles on it. I swapped out the controls because the Impreza controls were a darker silver, almost black and didnt match the Fozz interior. The STi wheel has just a slightly larger grip circumference and feels a little heftier in the hand. In the upper portions of the photo below, you can see the size comparison between the stock column cover on the left and the slightly larger paddle shifter column cover on the right. The new STi wheel is on the left, stock on the right. Overall diameters of the wheels are identical.

I ordered the kit thru AVOJDM and it came with the plug and play harness. It cost $237 shipped from Japan. Besides getting slowed down a little trying to figuring out how to disassemble portions of the interior, it was a rather easy install and only took a few hours of working at a relaxed pace. I had swapped out a steering wheel previously on my Legacy GT, so I wasn't shy at all about dealing with the airbag. Most of the time was spent routing the harness from the column to the shifter unit in the center console, zip tying along the way. I opted to put some corrugated split wire loom on the harness to protect it from chafing on the metal dash frame where it goes from behind the dash down into the center console.

Needed (2) 1/4-20 x 1/2" screws for the 2 lower attachment points on the paddle frame. They screw into holes in a plastic frame around the column that were previously used for nothing.

Thanks to Rescuer and a few others for their write-ups on this install, having photos and text to reference was invaluable.

N0SH and Metalmania82 like this.

Last edited by GTEASER; 11-01-2015 at 09:17 PM.
post #13 of 406 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 09:33 PM
Forum Member

Lovin' that combo. ^

post #14 of 406 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Thanks!! I have a soft spot in my heart for red stitching on steering wheels, to me they just exude "sport". I have a DAMD wheel on my Legacy GT, but that would be overkill for the Fozz, and way more cash for something largely aesthetic than I want to spend on this car, although the DAMD was one helluva great driver interface improvement. It's nice having the interchangeability of parts with the WRX/STi (not as fortunate with the Legacy platform) and the STi wheel fit the bill for cost conscious improvement. I picked it up off NASIOC for $87 shipped. Woot!!!

Last edited by GTEASER; 11-02-2015 at 07:53 AM.
post #15 of 406 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 10:59 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTEASER View Post
Thanks!! I have a soft spot in my heart for red stitching on steering wheels, to me they just exude "sport". I have a DAMD wheel on my Legacy GT, but that would be overkill for the Fozz, and way more cash for something largely aesthetic than I want to spend on this car, although the DAMD was one helluva great driver interface improvement. It's nice having the interchangeability of parts with the WRX/STi (not as fortunate with the Legacy platform) and the STi wheel fit the bill for cost conscious improvement. I picked it up off NASIOC for $87 shipped. Woot!!!
Heck yeah!!! Nice find...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Member Gallery > Members' Journals

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode