Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

GeoJosh's Lifted '14 XT Journal

('14-'18) 
142K views 295 replies 88 participants last post by  cosmokenney 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, I have finally started doing some modifications, which means I get to start a journal!

Thank you for looking and following along. Feel free to ask any questions!

First things done when I purchased were:

Iowa State front license plate

Tinted front windows and moonroof

Took a couple months, but now I have started making some light off-roading mods:

Smittybilt D-ring recovery point, only in place when needed.

Daystar rubber D-ring isolator, to prevent damage to paint.

Rokblokz mudflaps with grey stickers

I also have some 225/55R18 Yokohoma Geolandar A-T/S tires on the way, along with a full-size spare tire. I will post pictures once they are mounted, hopefully in a few days.

Edit: New tires installed and full size-spare added to replace the donut. Update here!

Edit: Offroading update added here.

Edit: Hail damage on hood and roof. Update found here.

Edit: Primitive Racing triple armor kit installed here!

Edit: Offroading - Round 2: Here!

Edit: OKSubies Talimena Cruise: Here!

Edit: Offroading - round 3: Here!

Edit: Hail damage, again: Here!

Rally Innovations bar and RamboWill LED bar installed Here!

Edit: Offroading - round 4: Here!

Edit: Offroading - round 5: Here!

Edit: Lift kit and new wheels and tires installed Here!

Edit: Sundog Trails Offroading - June 2016 Here!

Edit: Sundog Trails Offroading - March 2017 Here!

See less See more
#221 ·
Big changes to my FXT have finally happened!

Installed my lift earlier this week. It is a 1.5" front, 1.75" rear strut top spacer lift from @Anderson Design & Fab along with his multi-link spacer kit to re-center the rear wheels.

Today I finished up the changes by getting my new wheels and tires installed at @Discount Tire. The wheels are 17x8 Niche Targa in the Matte Anthracite finish. Tires are 235/65/17 Toyo Open Country A/T2.

DSC_0029 by Josh Asplund, on Flickr

DSC_0030 by Josh Asplund, on Flickr

DSC_0032 by Josh Asplund, on Flickr

DSC_0033 by Josh Asplund, on Flickr

DSC_0034 by Josh Asplund, on Flickr

DSC_0037 by Josh Asplund, on Flickr

DSC_0040 by Josh Asplund, on Flickr

DSC_0044 by Josh Asplund, on Flickr

DSC_0045 by Josh Asplund, on Flickr

#277 · (Edited)
Big changes to my FXT have finally happened!

Installed my lift earlier this week. It is a 1.5" front, 1.75" rear strut top spacer lift from @Anderson Design & Fab along with his multi-link spacer kit to re-center the rear wheels.

Today I finished up the changes by getting my new wheels and tires installed at @Discount Tire. The wheels are 17x8 Niche Targa in the Matte Anthracite finish. Tires are 235/65/17 Toyo Open Country A/T2.
Are your Niche wheels the standard subie offset? Is it +48?
EDIT: Never mind I found a post where you set they are +40. So I'm wondering if you are still running 1.5/1.75 front/rear ADF lift?
BTW, thanks for answering everyone's questions on this journal.

#222 ·
After some time driving on them, I can give my first impressions.

Tires have a marginal increase in road noise compared to my Geolandar ATS, but that is expected with a more aggressive tread pattern. Ride quality is great.

Lift kit resulted in a very small increase in body roll if you are pushing it through a corner. That is not unexpected, considering you have raised the center of gravity by about 2 inches. In normal driving, it drives just like it did stock.

#225 ·
been meaning to ask you...i've been thinking about the 17x8 (method MR502) and putting on the same 235/65 TOYOs...along with basic 1" lift from Primitive. however, i've been hearing from some people that its been rubbing.

is that the case with you? is it more like all or really some? if you are rubbing, have you come up with any ways to resolve that? does your 1.5+ lift resolve that rubbing issue? and how are your axle dealing with the lift?

sorry for the questions just been looking to bounce some thoughts off of someone.

#226 ·
@SuBooneru - better pictures of the lift coming when I get some time... been very busy lately.
@FLYBOY1378 - lift was pretty easy to install. Rear multi-link spacers were the most difficult part, but it is something I was able to do myself with the help of a friend. Took about hours total.
@mistersparkle - no rubbing at all with my tires, even at full lock. The 1.5" must be just enough clearance if the 1 inch is rubbing. No problems with my CV axles yet, but time will tell. I think they should be okay.

#232 ·
Here are a few quick cellphone pictures showing the lift on pavement, as @SuBooneru requested.

20160427_165250_001 by Josh Asplund, on Flickr

20160427_165311 by Josh Asplund, on Flickr

Front ground clearance at the transmission skid plate is about 9.5 inches.
20160427_150833 by Josh Asplund, on Flickr

Rear ground clearance at the differential skid plate is about 9.75"
20160427_150720 by Josh Asplund, on Flickr

This wheel design is nice, but it has very little clearance around the front brake calipers. This is a 17" wheel!
20160427_125650 by Josh Asplund, on Flickr

#243 ·
#244 ·
DSC_0113 by Josh Asplund, on Flickr
DSC_0114 by Josh Asplund, on Flickr
DSC_0115 by Josh Asplund, on Flickr
DSC_0116 by Josh Asplund, on Flickr
DSC_0120 by Josh Asplund, on Flickr
DSC_0125 by Josh Asplund, on Flickr
DSC_0126 by Josh Asplund, on Flickr
DSC_0128 by Josh Asplund, on Flickr
DSC_0129 by Josh Asplund, on Flickr
DSC_0130 by Josh Asplund, on Flickr
DSC_0132 by Josh Asplund, on Flickr
DSC_0137 by Josh Asplund, on Flickr
DSC_0138 by Josh Asplund, on Flickr
DSC_0145 by Josh Asplund, on Flickr
DSC_0146 by Josh Asplund, on Flickr
DSC_0148 by Josh Asplund, on Flickr
DSC_0149 by Josh Asplund, on Flickr

#247 ·
Quick question: what are you doing for your spare? Does a full-size 235/65r17 fit in the spare tire well?
Thanks!

I haven't tried getting it to fit, as I haven't had much time to mess around with it. For now I have been keeping it in the cargo area and tossed all my other stuff in the spare tire well. That includes my recovery gear, air compressor, etc.

#250 ·
Very nice Josh! On a side note, I think I still prefer the LED "eyebrows" on the '14 over the new shape on the latest MY. Everywhere you look now you see the same "C" shaped DRL lights. The 2014"s have a very charismatic and original look to them; if only they were brighter during the day. Still nice though.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.