388K views 4K replies 131 participants last post by  FXTerrific 
#1 · (Edited)

Engine bay show 'n' go:
*Tuned by @turbotekray of
https://www.facebook.com/TurboTekTuning - 305WHP/360WTQ
*Cobb Tuning Accessport
*Blouch TD05H-18g 8cm2 turbo
*FMS intercooler w/ heat coating & DEI heat tape
*Process West intercooler shroud (the 09-13 FXT spec one)
*FMS STI layout turbo tube w/ DEI heat tape
*ID1050X injectors w/ PnP adapters
*DW65c fuel pump
*OEM intake box/K&N filter...more DEI heat tape
*Grimmspeed 3port ebcs
*Grimmspeed high lift hood struts
Hood Struts - Subaru WRX/STI 08-14 - GrimmSpeed
*CNT catted downpipe w/ wideband bung
*OEM midpipe
*Nameless Performance axleback
*GFB TMS Respons Hybrid BPV
*ThermalZero turbo blanket
Thermal Zero LLC - 513.696.WRAP - High Temperature Heat Solutions
*JDM LGT OEM PS cover
https://www.japanparts.com/
*JDM LGT OEM battery cover
*DIY intercooler sprayer with @Mishimoto 850cc resevoir tank (PN:MMRT-CA)
*Perrin brake fluid koozie!
*Perrin alternator cover
*Perrin turbo inlet
*Perrin Afta-MAF
*IAG oil fill cap
*IAG coolant overflow cap
*IAG master cylinder cap
*IAG power steering cap
*IAG washer fluid cap
*MOORE Performance turbo heat shield - Special Edition # 001!
Moore Performance & Race Parts, Pittsburgh PA

Suspension:
*2011-2014 WRX OEM "donor" front struts w/ Koni 8610-1453Sport inserts
*Koni rear shocks - 8010-1055Sport
*GroundControl - 08+ impreza Coilover conversion kit
*GroundControl - "GC150.64.77" spring (4)
*Eibach - "SPACER250" 2.5" I.D. Spacer/coupler (4)
*Hyperco - "CS100" 2.5" I.D. 4" Free Length Steel Helper Spring (4)
*Whiteline Com C caster/camber front mounts - #KCA409 (kit)
*Subaru OEM rear strut mounts (2)
*Perrin rear subframe lock down kit
*OEM 18mm sti (2008) rear sway bar
*ISC V2 adjustable rear lower control arms

Brakes:
*Centric Premium rotors
*Hawk HPS5.0 pads
*Grimmspeed MCB
*Motul RBF600 fluid

Interior:
*WRX steering wheel with FXT buttons
*Subaru JDM OEM paddle shift kit
*SMY cluster surround
*AEM UEGO wideband
*AEM boost gauge
*Busted Finger wideband/serial cable
*LGT OEM shift knob
*WRX OEM center console
*WRX OEM ebrake assembly
*JDM OEM WRX/STI center console additional storage/armrest
avoJDM Parts Online

Wheels/tires:
*Enkei RPF1 18x9.5 +38 wheels
*BFG COMP-2 A/S 255/40 tires
*Muteki SR48 lugnuts, aluminum hub rings, yada, yada.

Misc:
*Diode Dynamics SmartTap CF18 (LM449) Flasher Relay
*Diode Dynamics D2R (6K) low beam HID
*Diode Dynamics HP3 (6K)license plate LEDs
*Diode Dynamics HP3 (6K)parking light LEDs
*Diode Dynamics HP3 (amber) side marker LEDs
*Diode Dynamics XLM2 (yellow) fog light LEDs
*Diode Dynamics HP48 (amber) turn signal LEDs
*NOKYA jdm yellow high beam/DRL bulbs
*Blacked out interior portion of headlights
*Grimmspeed front license plate delete
*Grimmspeed rear license plate frame
*Mach1 mustang front lip
*RalliTEK 4eat trans mount insert
*Rola roof basket
*OEM cross bars
*OEM sport grill
*OEM rain guards
*Painted yellow fogs/rings (with stained glass paint..rattle can from Krylon)
*Perrin shorty antenna
*OEM JDM "F" badge
* @VarcoRep LED Rear Reflector Bumper lights

Some favorites from along the way:

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
The Story:
Usual story......ex impreza owner (GC 2.5rs coupe and wrx sedan) that was in need of a bigger subaru come March 2013 in order to support my growing family (baby boy and boxer puppy). So the search was on:

I had thrown around the idea of a 2011+ hatch wrx before....but to small really even when testing out Lucie's (the dog) fit in the hatch, let alone the idea of all the baby stuff coming our way (our first). I'd always liked foresters and valued them as a subie family member, just not that many modded ones at all around me to open my eyes like this forum has done in the last 2 years. Had i known all the possibilities i probably would have had a forester of each era by now!!! For me the final push was one day i went to drop the wrx off for annual state inspection at a shop that my wife's family used, couple weeks after moving to SEPA. Across the street was one of the nicest subaru's i've ever seen, regardless of model. Simple, clean, different...then the billion modded wrx/stis i'd seen growing up in central new jersey. "What is that? Isn't that the newest forester? They still make a turbo model?" Some google research led me here, and to member @EspoNation. I was hooked! 2.5L turbo, gold wheels, sitting low....and 99% of the parts are interchangeable with similar era wrx?? And i get an actual rear storage/cargo area? Done.

March 2013: 2011 forester xt touring with 14.5K miles. Sage green with platinum leather interior. Zero mods.

So i'll play catch up best i can, but wanted to get the ball rolling with some of my favorite fozzie moments over the last year and a half of ownership, with some photos saved on the work computer. This is the first Subie i've had that i didn't get already with power/susp/misc mods already done. It was finally my chance where i could research...pick the parts i wanted....install...learn. While i had removed/reinstalled all types of mods on previous subies, it's different this way around.

Hadn't really intended to "start" yet as i was only a month in, but while checking out some cars from Titan Motorsports....i noticed they had a for sale section....nice, Supras! Hmm, led to an ebay link and shabam, 2011 wrx takeoffs w/ 15K miles. Done.

Did some little things here and there to get her more to my liking (more to come in the real breakdown), then went to the beach.

^^^The back was literally empty...i was too excited to use the basket with all this new found space! Can't see/added later but i also had some beach chairs, boogie boards, etc.

More mods...

Then some snow came! The first reason i made the switch from foxbody 5.0 mustang to Subaru...and also my favorite season being addicted to skiing. So naturally i took some first snow pics!

Then spring came and started missing the ol days of flat out down dirt roads with my rally (inspired) imprezas...so found something little more geared towards the Fozz and the route of this build to scratch the itch a little.

And got a real camera, so started messing with that!

Some more mods....

Now that rally racing had been checked off, haha. Figured id try drag racing for the first time. "ohh SH! Follow @Galager!"

Now to fill in all the details up to date asap. I plan on keeping a little different style, as most of the things i've done (to this point) have been done by others, or at least on nasioc. So more of "my thoughts from limited tools, slanted driveway install local, middle of the night car time, etc" type feel, haha.
And esp more mods to come............:Banane36:

Thanks for looking!!!

#5 · (Edited)
Oh i know, hahah. Figured since i have more then my two hands worth of mods and im really enjoying taking photos now...might have some half decent stuff to share.

Update:
I drove it to work today...it ripped, loved it. That is all!

But seriously...been finishing up my lastest tune for the 18G with Ray. I've just been pressed for time so hopefully a couple more logs and well be all set.

#14 ·
Thanks @13swp_XTI !

Oh yea! Well i think my wife (and texting Ray and @Superacerc for help), well they've all probably gotten tired of hearing about "how this part went" or "wow, check this out!" or "what's this mean?"...so figured id lay it all out in one spot to get help/input from others and share along the way.

That and the fact that i just couldn't remember everything any more, already updated the mods list like 5 times since i posted it, so why not.

#18 ·
Yea!!! Thanks man.

And related to that pic since i just made the above post, while there my tmic was cooler (and stone cold/back to normal if you will) at all times vs a friends oem 2011 wrx tmic (stage 2 protune w/ EWG). We were both operating under same conditions on a very hot day and pushing the cars a little. He is thinking about getting the FMS so each time we checked mine was colder or had zero heat fwiw. As far as a review with zero sensors/science/etc, hahaha.

#17 · (Edited)
Now this next bit will probably seem pretty random, but wanted to catch up on a couple mini projects/bits that i came across when looking into pics i'd saved.

DIY TMIC sprayer. Tooooooons of info out there on every forum as its been done for years now, and about a dozen "best" ways to do it, as far as just a simple external water spray kit and fitting it to an SH. I personally had a mixture of some stuff laying around, and a free $15 bucks i felt like giving to Amazon, haha. As far a simpleton terms it was my understanding that it's ok if the tmic gets hot, which means it drawing the heat out, and it's just a matter of how quickly it can be cooled back down/kept cool in order to continually draw out as much heat as possible. There's some great articles out there about "heat sinks" and core size vs thickness vs etc. So i figured a simple kit could only help as my setup wasn't pushing any envelopes performance wise.

Bought this kit (identical to a popular starter kit from a popular cooling products company, just $15 rather then $100):Amazon.com: ACI 99300 Windshield Washer Pump: Automotive

Some room for a button. Wanted to share this picture as there's plenty of space for the business end of most buttons after a little trimming.

Popped the reservoir in here and made a new little flip cover for refills.

Then just up through hood and into back of the TMIC shroud. Kit comes with a pump built into reservoir that has a pop on wire connection that'll run to a ground and then i used one of those "add-a-fuses" to draw power. Seems to work great (just based on some hand tests during different types driving, etc)... so wanted to share the two most important placement spots i picked. I'm sure ill i'll fine tune it and add to it over time for some fun odd-job stuff.

#19 · (Edited)
That pic above also reminded me of these couple pics i had saved on the phone. I hate how my new setup sticks out so far, have to take care of that!!!!
I never liked the oem exhaust "finishes" and spent entirely too long looking for tips that would sit flush with bumper, fill the holes, and complete the look for oem mufflers.

I had taken a couple pics of the two key measurements to share with other that are looking to stay with stock mufflers on their N/A or XT. The tips shown came from Red Tail Performance .

The rear view in the snow in first post here gives a decent shot as well.

#27 · (Edited)
Another little item that i haven't seen much info on for SH forester market here, but that's really helped with comfort/storage/etc after switching to wrx center console is this armrest extension that i got through avojdm.com.

Little taller then the usdm "extension" and also has additional storage rather then just popping up/forward a couple inches as i understand the usdm one does. And basically same price fwiw. It just reuses the oem lid from the console. It's the exact size storage wise of the cobb AP2 storage case as far as a "how big" answer.

#35 · (Edited)
Well while im still in catch up mode...and going over the couple small things that came up that are often asked/i noticed on the installs that are obvious to some, but not all...and worth noting.....

WRX/STI wheel

Obviously any 08-14, maybe newer, and ive seen legacy wheels, etc will fit. But for the SH touring wanted to point out make sure you get one with the phone controls in lower left if your fozz has them. I don't use them that much, but also noticed when not that specific model wheel, some of the other controls change as well. IIRC it was more then just names printed on button, but also two button vs one, etc (i think the "mode" button on left side differs based on year or trim level). A mistake i almost made a couple times late night when about to snatch up a deal in last couple seconds. They're all over places for sale, esp Ebay...just make sure you get the right one if you want a complete plug and play. Luckily @max6spd got me to pay attn, rather then having to splice some wires/loose some controls/etc.

Usual and simple hook up that can be found all over...obviously disconnect battery, then small slotted screw driver to pop the tabs up on airbag connections. Large nut on column and she slides right off IIRC. Four other screws if you need to switch out the backside cover for repair as a lot of the wheels i saw for sale were busted there......

This pic shows a mid point view....and more importantly the controls from forester (left) and the wrx/sti (right). This is my main point in sharing this as i feel like every pic i saw had the dark grey or black controls covers clashing with the forester silver trim. Not huge...but annoyed me. I wanted to use the forester ones in order to keep them matching the trim on drivers side vent and then across passenger side of dash and onto doors. Less colors your adding/throwing around the more clean it will all look. Use that same super thin slotted screwdriver or say a plastic "trim" tool...and those just pop off with some "gentle muscle" (classic subaru plastic on plastic tabs all around them on airbag side of each one) and just place either the old or the new rubber buttons over the control panel and under the forester covers. Just remember the two white connections (think top one was for audio controls and bottom one was for phone controls), ground connection, and both the airbag connections for installation.

For the airbag i actually just plastidipped my oem bag as i didn't want to pay out the a$$ for something i already had, just for color....as well as didn't want the history of the "new" bag always on my mind. Kaboom!
The plastidip worked great, but i am going to redo around the badge as i was rushing that day and its not literally perfect all the way down in around it. I may also use vinyl paint from duplicolor just to see.....but i dont ride the horn so plastidip has help up fine and i think matches perfectly imo.

Quick rundown...but if you have any questions feel free to ask! @MN Kid

Overall it feels better (even if just in my head) and looks way better when paired with the paddle shift kit that has a black column surround and ties into the cluster/dash area that is black as well. Oem look imo as i like the light color on lower half of car's interior, and this ties the wheel into the upper half nicely.

And i know the wheel is cocked there...just during install trust me... like an idiot i parked with the wheel slightly turned and then i pulled it off and on like ten times to make straight for OCD, even though theres literally only so many ways it can go on spline/teeth wise. hahaha.

#39 ·
Hey buddy, just read your post in the 18g thread (doing a similar build to you and Rescuer) - did I read it correct in that you are still on stock injectors? Is that why your boost is tapering more and not holding steady until redline or is that from the turbo running out of breath?

Loving the ride!

PS - Where in PA are you? I'm located in Harrisburg.

#41 · (Edited)
Hey there!

Yup, stock injectors for me. I think it holds pretty darn steady, less of a drop then i had stage 2 protune fwiw. And butt dyno wise it feels way better holding as there's not the smack of td04 then die and an all motor feel for the next 2K rpms to redline. She def has a noticeable pull alllll the way. I think the "amount" of taper is pretty normal, but its def based on the injector size. So im 19.5 down to 16 rather then say 22 down to 18s etc as youll see with some big inj 18g setups. Turbo def doesn't seem to be running out of breath, based on just knowing that this Blouch is capable of a way more power then im making, coupled with the fact that i can hit that 19psi in a wide rpm range...anywhere from low 3K grunt pulls as well as high like 4500 range jumping on the highway in 3rd the other day. The tunes not done so im hesitant to throw up any logs until its final as to not confuse anyone. I'd rather just wait and say,"here...18G, stock injectors...does this" fwiw.

It was mentioned by someone to me, and def clear as day now as it's often overlooked. At that 16psi at 6K rpms.....feels way different then 16psi at 6K on a VF and waaaay different then 16psi at 6K on a TD04.

Im over in Montgomery county area. Next PA type meet swing by and you can check it out. I plan to go to AWDPitt this Sept, i posted a link in the NE section.

#42 ·
Thanks man!
I love the basket (esp the sleekness of the ROLA one) and actually found mine to be less annoying with the roof open.

A: ive reached up and grabbed/tightened things on trips...haha
B: somehow the noise when moving at like 45-60mph with it all the way open isnt as bad as without the basket...maybe the front fairing deflects more then the little oem flap does??

#46 ·
Some other stuff i came across when searching for that pic above.

One day soon after turbo upgrade...my wife got these codes on her commute home one day, and sent me this pic.

Took me a longer then i thought, and confused me a little as to what could've happened. Some research led to shot front O2, but some info on codes led to rear O2 fixes from what others had found. But car felt to be strong and smooth...codes cleared and never came back, but it bothered me in the back of my mind, so i had to investigate that next weekend.

Deep into the internet and searching i came across a mentioned of some fuses i had never come across ( i had check every fuse in engine bay location and in the cabin, all looked fine). Located under glove box area.

One (or both, cant remember) was blown??!! Just going off memory here but i think they're related to the heater circuit bank/control/etc which then led me to the rear O2 sensor based on those codes i had seen. Turns out the clip that holds wires for rear O2 had come off, and extra slack got pinched up in the coupling section of drive shaft directly above! Lucked out as it only pinched them (and tore open the covering) so a little tape and securing and we we're all set.

All in all worth a check if you happen to get those codes after messing with exhaust, but all looks/runs fine initially.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.