Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

A Boy Named Su - The TLC Thread

836 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  purcellj1 
#1 · (Edited)
The newest member of our family is Su, a 2004 Forester 2.5X in Pacifica Blue Pearl. Su has 155k miles on the clock, and has suffered for the past 2 years from a lack of maintenance. From the day Su was bought until two years ago, Su was maintained at the same dealership where she was purchased. Su has been neglected for approximately 20k miles, but is still holding strong. Since purchase, I have done the following:

- Removed interior (seats, carpets, console, lower dash) and vacuumed/cleaned the entire interior.
- New Battery (Optima Red Top)
- New Timing Belt & Pulleys (Gates)
- New Water Pump (Aisin)
- New Thermostat (OEM)
- New Accessory Belts (Gates)
- New Valve Cover Gaskets (FelPro)
- New Spark Plugs (NGK OEM)
- New Spark Plug Wires (NGK)
- New Ignition Coil (OEM)
- New Midpipe & Muffler (Walker)
- New Fuel Filter (Wix)
- New Radiator Cap (OEM)
- Air Filter (OEM)
- Oil Change & New Oil Filter (Wix)
- Fog Light Bulbs Replaced (OEM)
- AC Clutch Shim Adjustment
- Coolant Flush & Replacement
- Located & Repaired Cut Rear Washer Nozzle Hose Line
- Sanded, Polished, & Buffed Headlights

On the list for Summer:
- New KYB GR2 Struts
- King Springs (Standard Height)
- Anderson Design & Fab Lift Kit (2")
- Sparco Terra Wheels
- BFG KO2's - (I'd love to rock some Cooper Discoverer STT Pros, but I'm not ready for the mods required to make that happen!)

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
It has been way too long since I last updated the journal, but... such is life sometimes.

Today I spent some time giving Su a little more TLC that is long overdue. When I purchased Su, things had been lacking for a while. It so turns out that things weren't just lacking for the past two years, as I had previously thought. Prior to purchasing the car, I contacted the Dealership where Su had been maintained for over 130k miles (First Owner). They talked to me extensively about their records of maintenance, and I purchased Su from the previous (Second) owner with relative confidence... lots of things can happen in 20k miles, but I had high hopes. As stated in the first post, I did all of the preventative maintenance that had been neglected for a couple of years, and down the road we went.

Fast forward almost a year. I knew when I purchased the car that eventually we would be pulling the motor for a HG job. No problem. Doesn't bother me a bit, I love to work on my cars. So, I always keep a close eye on the coolant, the oil, and the engine compartment for any possible sign of the beginnings of the HG rabbit hole. I also religiously change the oil and the air filters. 3k miles or 3 months = Oil, Oil filter, cabin filter, intake filter. But this time, as I was acquiring everything to do my routine changing, and I thought to myself... I haven't cleaned the throttle body or IACV, and it has been almost a year! So, this is what brings me to the joy of this journal post... Cleaning the throttle body.

I decided that since I was actually removing the Throttle Body to clean it, I could do a write-up with some photos, and maybe it would someday help someone who had questions.

Link to Write-Up: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f66/write-up-removing-cleaning-throttle-body-iacv-690882/

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.