Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Bobby's WRB '07 FSXT

('06-'08) 
2M views 2K replies 152 participants last post by  forestmods 
#1 ·
Notice - with the recent site upgrade, my Member Journals have been seriously messed up! The "Table of Contents" links are "hit or miss," but the posts can still be located by the "Post #" shown on the link.
The Table of Contents for my Member Journal can be found on ► Post #124. This thread keeps growing, so to make it easier to navigate (skip over the chitchat), I added a Table of Contents with links to the main posts.

July 2, 2009​

Thank you for taking the time to look over my Member Journal, or MODding Journal, as I call it (literary license). Your comments, questions, or suggestions are always welcome. Post them here or send me a PM.

June 29, 2009 - The beginning!​

First, thanks to Ian, @Arthrogrian19, for helping me find my next project, Forester. I'd been looking for over a year for my next project, Forester. It's way newer than I wanted; I had my heart set on a low-mile '04 XT. Of course, I spent more than my budgeted amount, but who could pass on a low-mileage '07 Forester Sports XT in WRB!

After contacting the seller for details, with check in hand, my son & I drove up to Shoreline, WA (North of Seattle, WA) to look over the Forester. The Forester was parked in my driveway before dark!

The '07 FSXT is not perfect, being preowned, but with just a bit over 21K miles, it still smells like new (detail spray?) & runs perfectly. It's 100% stock, with the exception of a set of Kumho tires the dealership just installed.

I wanted to get more pictures, but the camera batteries died & the backup set let us down. :frown:

Okay, on to the pictures, with me thinking... what to do first! Perhaps that should be what to do second since I just ordered a set of floor mats from Jackie, @SubaruPartsGirl, a supporting vendor here on the forum.

Bobby...
Below are the first pictures of the Forester taken at the dealership.

Here's how my retirement project looks now! You'll have to look over my Member Journal for all the details.

The Table of Contents for my Member Journal can be found ► here. (post #124)

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Attachments

See less See more
#1,702 ·
There is another member ahead of you. I don't think I'll sell it, as the next owner may want that new style controls. :wink:

Bobby...

The Table of Contents for my Member Journal can be found :icon_arrow: here. (post #124)

#1,704 ·
Good luck with the project!

I've seen those for sale on eBay, as well as here on the forum in the Member Classifieds. :wink:

Bobby...

The Table of Contents for my Member Journal can be found :icon_arrow: here. (post #124)

#1,709 ·
@Gbriel Thank you!

No major house project on the schedule, so I should be able to spend more time on the Forester this summer... perhaps I can add to this Member Journal! :biggrin:

Bobby...

#1,710 ·
Hi Bobby,
Your info has been so helpful. Thanks.
I would appreciate your input with this problem I have.

I just finished installing a Pioneer face and followed the wiring diagram from the Owner's Manual.
I got confused with the power and Ground cables because there were (what looked like) two Ground cables coming from the car itself. One was connected to the radio frame and the other was part of the connector plugging into the previous stock radio. See the photo below.
The Black & Yellow cable in the front is what clips to the frame, and the Black & Red is the other.

When connecting the Pioneer, I reconnected the Ground cable to the frame and connected the other Ground cable to the Pioneer ground.

Everything else looks good except... No power to the unit when reconnecting the battery. The fuse is still intact also.

I should mention that I didn't connect the Antenna, Dimmer, and Illumination wires since the Pioneer doesn't use them.

Thoughts?
V
Cable management Electrical wiring Wire Electronics Electrical supply

#1,711 ·
Hi Bobby,
Your info has been so helpful. Thanks.
I would appreciate your input with this problem I have.

I just finished installing a Pioneer face and followed the wiring diagram from the Owner's Manual.
I got confused with the power and Ground cables because there were (what looked like) two Ground cables coming from the car itself. One was connected to the radio frame and the other was part of the connector plugging into the previous stock radio. See the photo below.
The Black & Yellow cable in the front is what clips to the frame, and the Black & Red is the other.

When connecting the Pioneer, I reconnected the Ground cable to the frame and connected the other Ground cable to the Pioneer ground.

Everything else looks good except... No power to the unit when reconnecting the battery. The fuse is still intact also.

I should mention that I didn't connect the Antenna, Dimmer, and Illumination wires since the Pioneer doesn't use them.

Thoughts?
V
I prefer not to hard wire when I install an upgraded head unit. Less chance for error & easier to undo... restore to stock.
Perhaps the wiring diagrams below will help you.

Bobby...

Just in case you need it.

► More connector info here: Forester Radio Connector Pin-out

Link to Bobby’s Member Journal Table of Contents:
The Table of Contents for my Member Journal can be found ► here. (post #124)

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Attachments

Reactions: 8lackie
#1,713 ·
A couple questions: :confused:

• Have you verified +12V power (ACC/switched) on the [YG] wire?
• Have you verified -12V (ground) on the [BR] wire?

If yes, have you verified those wires are connected to correct Pioneer head unit wires?

In addition, assuming you checked fuse #9 in the cabin fuse box, most head unit have a fuse on the back, did you check that one?

Bobby...

The Table of Contents for my Member Journal can be found :icon_arrow: here. (post [URL=http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=124]#124 )[/url]

#1,715 ·
That would be the +12V constant (unswitched) for the head unit memory. :wink:

Curious, I wouldn't expect that missing +12V constant (unswitched) source would prevent the head unit from powering up? What I have seen is that the presets & clock would reset when the head unit is tuned off, but it does turn on. Perhaps it's the way the Pioneer head unit was designed? :confused:

Good to hear you got it sorted out! :cool:

Bobby...

#1,718 ·
This journal is gold! I've got it bookmarked. :)
Thank you for taking the time to peruse my Member Journal & letting me know you found it useful! :wink:

Bobby...

#1,719 ·
I think I've visited your journal a hundred times over the past few weeks trying to memorize and understand as many procedures as possible. Well done and thank you for documenting every single detail of your project.

Can I ask, for your 2005 STi seat swaps, are the airbags connections identical between the 07 XT and 05 STi connections?
I don't believe I saw anything written for removing the XT seat airbags and placing them inside the Sti seats.

#1,720 ·
@ejicon always good to hear my Member Journal was helpful!

There was no need to mess with the airbag, the seat connectors are the same. Everything, with the exception of the passenger weight sensor & seat heaters, was "plug & play". :wink:

Bobby...

#1,723 ·
@mrstangblb thank you for the compliment!

Member Journals are great fun... your own piece of the forum! Don't forget to start one before you get too far into your projects. :wink:

Bobby...

Reactions: mrstangblb
#1,725 ·
@BVO thank you for taking the time to look over my Member Journal!

As to modding my Forester. I got sidetracked with other projects... mostly house projects that seem to be never ending! :icon_eek:

Perhaps there will be some time to do some modding before Fall sets in! :biggrin:

Bobby...

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.