It's way too rainy to be outside today, so I figured it would be the perfect day to do the write up & post Part 4, the final part of my Audio Upgrade!
Part 4 will cover the removal of the double DIN factory/OEM head unit, installing the new Sony aftermarket single DIN head unit with an factory/OEM storage pocket. In addition, I'll be installing an add-on HD Radio, with the display unit mounted on a Subtle ashtray gauge bezel.
The preparation of the Sony head unit wiring harness can be viewed here
Keep in mind the plastic dash material is VERY easy to scratch & very expensive to replace, so protect it with masking tape or with a cloth covering if there is any chance it can be damaged. It's better to take a little bit more time now, than having to live with an ugly scratch!
The parts list:
- Sony CDX-GT610Ui head unit which has a USB port & hardwired iPOD cable to directly control an iPOD thru the head unit. These are no longer in production, but of all the head units I've used, this one is my favorite. As is the norm, it can still be found on e Bay! More details & pictures here.
- Single DIN storage pocket, Subaru part# 66128SA040.
- Directed Electronics DMHD1000 HD Radio. More details & pictures here.
- Subtle Solutions ashtray gauge bezel. You can get more information here.
This picture show the removal of the AT shift lever trim, which includes the ashtray. No tools are required to remove this trim. Start at the bottom, gently lift up with your fingers & it will pop up. Once you get it up high enough, you can unplug the power connect on the 12V outlet. Once that's done, you can lift off the entire assembly. The shift lever needs to be where it's shown for the trim to pull off. Some prefer to unscrew the shift lever knob, but I don't think it's necessary, especially if you position the selector as shown in the picture. Keep in mind, if you disconnect the battery, you won't be able to move the shift lever from P (park), unless you manually override the shift lever lock. This requires prying off the access cover on the shift lever trim & pressing a screwdriver into the hole, then the shift lever can be moved from P (park). In addition, if you plan on taking more than a day to complete the project, don't unlock all the doors with the remote, since the hatch can't be locked with the battery disconnected.
This picture shows the shift lever trim removed, after the wire connectors were unplugged.
These pictures show the removal of the climate control panel. First remove the 2 screws that secure the bottom of the panel. Using a flat trim removal tool, pop the panel out. You'll need to work your way up on both sides. This can be difficult if this is the first time the panel has been removed. Work slowly & don't force anything. When you pry on the right location, the panel will pop out.
I can't stress how easy it is to remove this panel, compared to the manual controls, which require cables to be released under the dash! If you have manual climate controls, see the Crutchfield installation PDF that I posted at the bottom of this post. With the automatic climate control, all you need to do is to unplug 2 wire plugs shown & of course the wire plug on the hazard switch. It's very easy to forget to reconnect the hazard switch, so if your turn signals don't works after installing your new head unit, you know where to look! The blue trim tool on the right picture is being used to hold the panel out so the picture could be taken.
The upper picture shows the Sony head unit with the mounting brackets installed. You will use the hardware that comes with the aftermarket head unit to attach the brackets.
This picture shows the factory/OEM single DIN storage pocket about to be secured to the mounting bracket.
These pictures show the Sony head unit & storage pocket reinstalled in the vehicle. I prefer a head unit with a removable faceplate. When it's removed, it doesn't make a tempting target for thieves.
This upper picture shows the display panel for the HD Radio. I used the Subtle ashtray gauge bezel to mount it on. Instead of painting the bezel, I used black industrial plastic overlay. It's much more durable than paint & really wasn't that difficult to install.
** Update **
The HD Radio display panel has been relocated to vacate that location for another MOD. The detailed write up starts here
This picture shows the HD Radio, which I wedge mounted using a piece of blue foam.
Here's the finished audio upgrade. Of course you'd have to view Part 1 thru 4 to see everything that went into this project. Links to Part 1 thru 4 are on the bottom of this post.
The Table of Contents
for my Member Journal can be found here. (post #124)