post #1 of 276 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Smooshed FOTY 2011

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Lifted 2.5 XT
Transmission: 5-Speed MT
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Blue Fox Journal 2.0

Blue Fox Journal 2.0

Below is my Journal for my 2005 Subaru Forester XT Limited with the 5-speed manual transmission. Purchased the car with 120,000 miles on the clock to replace my violently killed 2004 XT which you can read about (here) if you didn't already know. This Journal will guide you through the modifications, trips and adventures for the 2005 XT. Previous adventures in the 2004 XT can be found right (here).

Modifications for the 2005 XT have started rather briskly as I already knew the exact direction I wanted to go (which was the same direction as my previous XT)......RallyCross. I wanted an off-road rally car as a daily driver, so that's what she'll become. The previous model was close......I plan on getting this one closer (and competing in it).

A little about the car....I found an ad in Craigslist for it. I talked with the owner and decided he was a stand up guy and flew from southern New Mexico to Denver, Colorado, then drove 2 hours to Vail, Colorado to check it out. I was in love with it within the first few miles. Talked with the owner who said he wanted it to go to a good owner who would look after it. I told him she would be famous. Two hours later, I was driving back from Vail in my newly purchased 2005 XT. Before starting the long drive back to New Mexico, I stopped off in Boulder to pickup a set of steel wheels and tires (215/70 R16 BFGoodrich All-Terrains) from another forum member.

I've had the car for a few weeks now and couldn't be happier. LOVING the 5-speed over the 4EAT, though I haven't put the car through any serious "crawling" as I did in my old XT, but I've taken it off road a few times, and it's impressed me a lot so far. (the more 50/50 power split is so much better than the FWD biased 4EAT).

Below is a picture taken of the car about a week after I brought her home with the new BFGoodrich tires and black powder coated steel wheels, along with a freshly painted grille.

2004 XT - RIP
2005 XT - 5MT - 2" LIFT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Blue Fox; 02-28-2012 at 02:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 276 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Smooshed FOTY 2011

01.18.12 - Grille Black-Out

First modification was to paint the horrible chrome on the grille. I've never liked chrome trim on anything, and the grille was no exception. I picked up a couple cans of Duplicolor "Trim Paint" in satin black. I've used this paint before on many occasions on my previous 04 and the paint holds up very well and is easy to work with.

First, needed to sand the grille. I used a sanding pad just to scuff up the surface. I kept the grille on the car for sanding as it is much easier this way. Just make sure to tape around the grille so you don't scuff your paint.

Next, I shot a couple thin coats of black filler primer, then a few thin coats of the trim paint. While I was at it, I decided to paint the center caps for the steel wheels black as well. I believe the car looks so much more aggressive and sporty wearing the black grille.

2004 XT - RIP
2005 XT - 5MT - 2" LIFT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Blue Fox; 02-28-2012 at 02:03 AM.
post #3 of 276 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Smooshed FOTY 2011

02.09.12 - Roof Rail Black-Out

Decided that since I never got around to painting the silver roof rails on my 04 black, I would do it right away on the 05. I ordered a replacement roof basket, so I wanted to get the roof rails painted before the basket arrived. I used the same Duplicolor Trim Paint I used on the grille for the rails. Taped everything off, used a sanding pad to scuff up all the paint, and then laid down newspaper for overspray. Sprayed a few coats of black primer, then a few coats of trim paint. I think it turned out perfect, and couldn't ask for anything better.

I was originally going to cover the rails in satin black vinyl, but for some reason, I just don't have the patience to deal with vinyl anymore, but for some reason painting doesn't get to me. So painting it was.

I let the paint cure for 2 days in the sun before attempting to mount the cross bars so the basket could be attached.

2004 XT - RIP
2005 XT - 5MT - 2" LIFT

Last edited by Blue Fox; 02-28-2012 at 02:10 AM.

post #4 of 276 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Smooshed FOTY 2011

02.11.12 - Rola Roof Basket Mounted

Re-purchased another Rola Vortex Roof Basket from eTrailer. $170 shipped, and it's a phenomenally well built basket and has a lower profile than the other baskets on the market. I believe the lower profile fits the car better as the larger baskets look a little out of proportion. Once the paint was cured from the freshly painted roof rails, I mounted the cross bars and then mounted the basket. Everyone who saw the new car kept telling me "It needs a basket, looks naked without one." The basket also adds to the aggressiveness.

Just need to get me another BFGoodrich All-Terrain tire to mount up there as well. Already have a fifth wheel to mount it to.

2004 XT - RIP
2005 XT - 5MT - 2" LIFT

Last edited by Blue Fox; 02-28-2012 at 02:19 AM.
post #5 of 276 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Smooshed FOTY 2011

reserved4

2004 XT - RIP
2005 XT - 5MT - 2" LIFT
post #6 of 276 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Smooshed FOTY 2011

reserved5

2004 XT - RIP
2005 XT - 5MT - 2" LIFT
post #7 of 276 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 04:10 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: FXT
Transmission: CVT :(
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
about time you make another journal. hopefully this one doesn't end like the last one
post #8 of 276 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 04:55 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1995
Car Model: Daewoo Espero
Transmission: Manual
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
finallyyyyyyyyyy!!been waiting for this for some time now!she looks great!!
SUBSCRIBED!!!
post #9 of 276 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 05:41 AM
Fast & Dirty

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 4 speed auto
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Subscribed.

This is the first journal I have subscribed to. Can't wait to see what you do next.

2 Things I noticed so far...

1. We have the same bike repair stand.
2. Damn it looks dry in those pictures.

post #10 of 276 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 05:43 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Garage
I like where this is going.

I am waiting for off road adventures in the 5mt though.

---
post #11 of 276 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Smooshed FOTY 2011

^^ lol. The off-road adventures will come. I took it off road again today and burnt the clutch pretty good. Amazing how much you have to ride it reversing up a 30 degree incline. LOL. Don't think this clutch will last too much longer, so saving some money getting ready to replace it and a whole bunch of other bits while the engine is out.

And apologies for the crappy pics. I haven't dug out my good camera yet, so I've been using my scratched up iPhone to take them.

2004 XT - RIP
2005 XT - 5MT - 2" LIFT
post #12 of 276 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 10:53 AM
MKtuned
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2001
Car Model: Forester STi
Transmission: 6spd with MapDCCD
annnnndd subscribed!

2001FSTi: 401hp/420trq.... #s on a Heartbreaker. Procom Built. Self Tuned with 2000cc Alky.
post #13 of 276 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 12:08 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
4EAT vs MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fox View Post
^^ lol. The off-road adventures will come. I took it off road again today and burnt the clutch pretty good. Amazing how much you have to ride it reversing up a 30 degree incline. LOL. Don't think this clutch will last too much longer, so saving some money getting ready to replace it and a whole bunch of other bits while the engine is out.

And apologies for the crappy pics. I haven't dug out my good camera yet, so I've been using my scratched up iPhone to take them.
This is another good reason to get the 4EAT, no clutch burning! But I have noticed a stinky smell when hauling through deep loose sand in an arroyo bottom. So I think the auto can overheat too, although rarely in my experience. Nice looking car!
post #14 of 276 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 12:21 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fox View Post
I've had the car for a few weeks now and couldn't be happier. LOVING the 5-speed over the 4EAT, though I haven't put the car through any serious "crawling" as I did in my old XT, but I've taken it off road a few times, and it's impressed me a lot so far. (the more 50/50 power split is so much better than the FWD biased 4EAT).
Okay I've gotta ask about this. I could swear (am I allowed to do that??) that I read somewhere that when the 4eat is in 1/2 gear it does a 50/50 split of power. Truth?

250+k mile club
post #15 of 276 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 12:33 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 08
Finally back at it

Great to see you back in action again. Been waiting for an update on the new addition to the family.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Member Gallery > Members' Journals

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode