('98-'00) Aussies Fozzy SF5 build, slowly but surely - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 320 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2000
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: 6MT STI
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Aussies Fozzy SF5 build, slowly but surely

Howdy guys, I'm Austin, a 19 yr old broke college student. I inherited my Foz nearly a year ago. When I got her she hadn't been driven in about a year and had a very bad valve tick. After changing all the fluids from top to bottom, rad flush, oil change, fuel cleaner, tranny/diff fluids, etc, she was running strong again. That lasted a little while, until she fell victim to the notorious head gasket leak, almost exactly at the 160k marker. Since the motor was going to be removed it was decided to just refresh the whole engine, new gaskets all around, heads machined to spec, timing belt, water pump, full coolant flush, the works, and 2 weeks later she was all back together, purring like a kitten right off the show room floor. Thus begins the build!

I don't have a good picture of when I got her and how she started out, but picture a bone stock 00' Forester S 5mt with supertones and an SPT rear diff plate and that's what she was.
Found a pic from teh day I drove her home from San Fran

How she sits today (Will update as the build goes on)

Current mods:

Exterior:

Custom Forester Badge in grill
Orange(now black) (changed to factory silver) supertones
Rally Armor Polyurethane Mud Flaps (rally pigs on each flap)
Yakima 48 in cross bars
Thule ski/snowboard rack

Plastidipped key holes
plastidipped all badges

Repainted fog covers-sat on them and cracked them....Replaced Finally
20ish% window tint back 5 windows
Tinted JDM turn signals rear
Kazera KZ-P 16"s wrapped in Michelin Defenders
Painted calipers silver, then blue...I GET BORED
JDM Clear corners
DIY JDM style mesh grill
Hella 500ff front driving lights
Larsen NMO mount and Antenna
Hawkeye Black Hood Scoop
Plasti-dipped bumpers and side cladding
Custom duck tail spoiler
Painted bumpers and side cladding obsidian black pearl
XXR 527 17x8.25 ET35
245/45R17 BFG Comp 2 A/S (Will definitely be buying these again)

Interior:
JVC headunit w/ aux jack
Sirius XM radio (Now removed)
Factory rubber mats front/rear
Uniden 510xlPro CB radio
Knockoff ebay round shift knob
02/03 WRX Tan Heated Leather bucket seats
Custom CamArt Camshaft shiftknob
Passenger seat fire extinguisher bracket
Fire extinguisher

Under the hood:
Refreshed EJ251
Mishimoto aluminium racing radiator
Mishimoto slim fans (custom fabbed shroud) do not recommend
[REplaced with OEM fans as of 5/1/2017]
Klean Kanteen overflow tank
Borla knockoff UEL headers wrapped and sprayed
Blitz Nur Spec R axleback exhaust
AC Condenser, Lines, and Canister Delete
Perrin Pitch stop mount
GC Turbo Front Subframe

Suspension/Brakes/:

OEM Stout SB mounts
Perrin Rear Diff/Subframe Lockdown kit
Whiteline Caster lower control arm bushings
Whiteline Heavy Duty Rear Endlinks
Perrin 22mm 3 way adjustable Rear sway bar
Whiteline trailing arm bushings front
Whiteline trailing arm bushings rear
Whiteline Steering rack bushings
King STD height springs for 02/03 wrx
Feal revalved Struts (w/zerkfittings) Custom Tarmac Spec
Whiteline ComC Tophats
Whiteline Roll Center kit
Solid steering knuckle (Legacy SUS)
Subframe spacer delete
GC Aluminum Control Arms
Whiteline inner Front control arm bushings
Whiteline Front end links for STI
Brembos front and rear
Brembo OE Rotors F/R
Hawk HPS5.0 Pads F/R
Stainless braided lines F/R
Rear backing plates OE Subaru 07 WRX
Oversized Brake Shoes
Whiteline Rear Strut Tower brace
05 STI solid mount steering rack

Drivetrain
Cobb Adjustable short shifter
Perrin Pitch stop mount
Kartboy Transmission mount bushings
Group N Trans mount
Trans Crossbrace Spacer Delete
Beatrush Engine mounts

Protection:
SPT Diff plate

Future Mods:
Primitive Skid Plate
Custom Bull bar/Light bar upfront
Roof rack light bar
Piaa 520 Fogs down low
Hella Black Magic 1000s uptop

In the very future mods:
EJ207 ver 7 swap
Dccd pro controller
STI 6 speed and R180 rear diff
Whiteline adjustable lat links

**** I'VE MANAGED TO BREAK
Left Ball Joint
Driver Side Axle
Exhaust bolts
Every heat shield under the car
Clutch fork
Clips, infinite number of plastic clips
Inner tie rod bent
Driverside fenderliner
Throw out bearing
2 axles
3 upper rad hoses
Every heatshield, now removed.
Rear Sway Bar Endlink

Overall goal for the foz, make a really fun, great handling sleeper/wagon that can haul *** on road, in snow, gravel etc. and handle like a fine tuned machine, yet be able to go back country driving without losing an oilpain or exhaust.
I refuse to slam the foz because I love partaking in rallyX and other shenanigans but It will be low to drastically increase on road and gravel road performance.
This foz is and will forever be one of a kind because I'm building it for myself however I see fit to build it.

Last edited by AussiesFoz; 05-02-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 320 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 03:13 PM
MKtuned
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2001
Car Model: Forester STi
Transmission: 6spd with MapDCCD
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Excellent build so far, and lots of aspirations! The whiteline susp products will turn this chassis into one solid feeling car.

Hit me up anytime, regarding the STi swap. Been through it all ... now twice LOL. I can def lend a help with planning and making sure you get all the proper parts you need the first go around.

2001FSTi: 401hp/420trq.... #s on a Heartbreaker. Procom Built. Self Tuned with 2000cc Alky.

Last edited by MikeDrives1; 07-28-2013 at 03:22 PM.
post #3 of 320 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
Right after I got the engine refreshed it was time for some adventuring, first trip, weekend in Tahoe!

So on the drive up it started to snow...hard, traffic was at a standstill as people were shitting bricks because SNOW! We get to our cabin and the driveway has a coat of fresh powder waiting for us to plow through.
The next morning we wake up to our cars like this

The Driveway down

All the roads throughout the area were like that ^ which meant it was time to make use of the new tires and practice my snow rally skills (in a safe and proper manner of course!)
I was amazed at how well the AWD worked in snow conditions, even a steep snow packed grade wasn't a challenge.

After I got back my dad went and bought himself an 05 OBXT 5mt with stage 1 mods, which came with a set of 16"s and after some persuading they became my new rims.

sorry for the crap cell phone pics all I had, also 40 bucks and the tire shop swapped my tires onto the new rims.

Short while after that I decided I didn't like my grill being chrome when all my accents were black so it became time for paint.
First things first, removal and prep

My soon to be regrettable tape job

Supertones looked beat up and worn so they got painted too

Everything waiting to dry

It's winter time and I'm painting, yeah it was a bad idea so it was time to bust this bad boy out and mke quick work of the drying process.

Now that's a purdy paint job

Everything all back together

Well it's officially winter and snowboard season but my old bars are rusted through, it's time for some new ones and time to mount the thule rack

She officially survived my break in period after 1 trip and a lot of driving now I can't wait for the next 165k miles

00 Foz
AKA:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 320 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDrives1 View Post
Excellent build so far, and lots of aspirations! The whiteline susp products will turn this chassis into one solid feeling car.

Hit me up anytime, regarding the STi swap. Been through it all ... now twice LOL. I can def lend a help with planning and making sure you get all the proper parts you need the first go around.
Thanks, the current suspension is really really badly worn out, she's been through 2 rallycrosses and about 50 miles of gravel/loose dirt twists and turns now.
I definitely will, I loved your build and your foz, but the STI project starts when the current motor goes which won't be for a few years at the least *knocks on wood*

00 Foz
AKA:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 320 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
Alright, I kept hearing bout this infamous subaru burble, I could recognize a scoop from a mile away but why didn't mine have it? I must have it I told myself! So it became time to remove the rusted and busted heat shield EL headers and get myself some of those sweet burbling borla UELs and the wait had begun. 2 weeks later the headers come in and I have the next two days off. On my way home from school disaster struck the foz when less than a mile from home she started spewing radiator fluid, so I kept my eyes pegged on the temp gauge and limped her into the garage. I opened the hood and I could see fluid covering all sorts of engine bits but I couldn't find where she was spewing from with the engine off, so I fired her back up and ran around to the front and yet another common forester issue had struck the ol' foz, a nice 4 inch tear in the plastic end tank was the culprit. Now I've got to get new radiator and get her up and running again, well since I was gonna pull the radiator out I figured I might as well splurge and get myself a nice fancy racing one and never have to worry about a plastic fault again.
Here she sits, dead in the water with blown radiator

Time to pull the old radiator and prep for when the new one arrives in the mail. Look how clean that coolant looks

Since I was waiting on the Mishimoto radiator and fans to get here and the foz wasn't going anywhere I figured I'd use the time to install my headers

Since I do a lot of snow driving and the UELs don't have heat shields I opted to wrap them, so here's some shots of the process

Ignore the plastic zipties, they were cheaper to use incase I had to make any adjustments

Here they sit, wrapped and unsprayed

Alright nearly done spraying and metal zipties in place

The blow dryer was to speed up the drying process of the spray before going on. Sadly I don't have any install pics but I do have some current ones after being on for 8 months
A lot of mud and dirt has accumulated but some water will wash it all off

Oil pan shot, I have a fumoto valve but don't wanna lose an engine to a rock

Some oil filter clearance shots, since I know a lot of people need info on this I took a couple. I run the mobile 1 filter because it's the smallest they sell that I've found and makes the whole job a lot less messy

Warning!: for those of you who plan on wrapping and spraying your headers, they will smoke a lot (engine bay looks like it's on fire) upon first start up and for the next few days to a week. This is because the wrap is literally baking onto the headers and leftover moisture leaving from the spray or humidity leaving, also it smells like burnt exhaust until its done baking.

Alright, the next day I had a sweet package at the door, my GC8 All aluminum radiator from Mishimoto and the slim fans to boot!

Fans on top of the radiator

Fans by themselves in shroud

I don't have any pictures of the install, but the radiator will fit the stock mount and positions but the factory fans won't clear the engine so you have to go aftermarket since there's not SF forester specific radiator or fan kit.
Also, the slim fan kit with shroud doesn't clear the accessory pulley or belts so this is not direct swap option (learned that the hard way) but being that I'm on the broke college kid budget that didn't stop me, so I busted out the power tools and opened up the metal shroud so the fans would sit flush onto the radiator and clear the engine bits and fit perfectly.
Here's a shot of everything installed

Another thing you need to think about when going aftermarket with radiators is your overflow tank because the stock one will not fit anywhere, and I wasn't gonna ghetto rig a gatorade bottle, so after looking at what was available all i saw was metal cylindrical containers labeled "overflow tanks" and they weren't cheap so I opted to go custom and came up with this

00 Foz
AKA:
post #6 of 320 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage

It's a Klean Kanteen aluminum 24oz canister with the top drilled out to fit the stock overflow hose, then a metal bicycle bottle holder was drilled into the shroud. BINGO we have our overflow tank, unique and shiny!

I really like the bottle and position because It's really easy to pull the bottle out of the holder and check the levels inside, plus it makes a great conversation starter.

After 2 weeks of double checking fluids and driving the car, everything was fine and she wasn't leaking a drop of coolant and functioning perfectly.
That was until it became time to run the AC and the weather stayed above 100 degrees for a week straight.
I've come to the conclusion that with the AC running the temp gauge will climb towards teh red when it's above 95 outside because the fans can't PUSH out enough air to keep all systems cool.
When the AC is off she stays nice and cool below the half line all the time no matter what, up hill, down hill, 110 degrees for a week straight and the gauge doesn't move. Oh well I made it 2 years without AC in my first car, I'll easily survive without it this year. For anyone looking to go aftermarket I'd recommend 2 SPAL 12" fans that pull air in and custom fit them to mount to your radiator, they pull 1350 CFM each which is a lot higher than the 800 and something that the factory fans pull, and that's just one fan! so 2 fans is around triple the air movement of the factory fans, oh well should have done my research before I opted for the slims. When it comes time to do my annual radiator flush I'll replace the slim fans with the SPALs.

Random shot during my Oil change

Did someone say mudflaps? It was time to get rid of those busted stock flaps that were duct taped together so on went these!

After all that I wasn't sure where to go next with the mods so I didn't do anything at all for a couple months
In the time between I did attend the local Prairie City RallyCross, not pictured is my friends red 89 FC GTUS

Definitely broke in my new clutch launching off the start.
Times were okay and got better throughout the day
68 - hairpins suck! under steering into a pile of dirt in a hairpin really sucks
59.75 - Balls to the wall run,
62.08 - ****ing cones and gates!
For the Foz I was pretty proud of myself especially given how shot the suspension was going into it, My buddys RX7 averaged 65 throughout the race so I'm pretty ****ing proud of myself.
Hoping to have my rear sway done before the next RallyX at Thunderhill in August.

Well My best friend was in need of a new car and being a Subie lover I found him a 98 2.5rs black with 200k on the clock, HG replaced and in clean running order, it was an autotragic but hey we got the guy down to 2100 and bought it, yeah I know I should be arrested for stealing. So with him getting his car, I now had an excuse for another paint day, this time it was those worn out brownish colored calipers
Don't have a before pic, but walk up to any SF5 and it'll be just like tht
Ohhh look how nice that silver looks on black (front)

(Rear)

If anyones not already picked up on this yet, my Foz has a Silver and Black theme going for it
So next came time to get rid of those shiny badges and match the theme so here comes the plastidip

I also painted all the keyholes and it was a nice subtle touch.
While I waited to track down some JDM clear tails I figured I'd darken mine out just a bit
I used VHT Night Shade, one coat each.
Here's what 3 coats looks like
Best friends old accord before the 2.5rs, and yes he is touching my car with his car...*******

Some undercarriage shots post Powerwashing and a look at my rear diff plate

She was so dirty underneath before hand that black and brown dirt/tar/rocks literally covered my entire driveway after the washing.
That's all the pics I have and mods I can think of so far, here's a shot of how she sits now

Some Misc things that happened during the ownership of the foz
I came across a mark 3 supra at picknpull and looked inside and boy was I in for a treat

Leather bucket seats, in perfect condition, just needing a wash and good cleaning, they wanted 80 bucks for both and after some research, these sell for 150 per seat new! So I picked them up and am in the process of persuading my friend with the 2.5rs to buy them off me for 175 since he doesn't have heated seats and his stockers are beat up.

Also got bored with AutoCad and made a quick sketch of my front light bar

00 Foz
AKA:

Last edited by AussiesFoz; 08-03-2013 at 01:58 PM.
post #7 of 320 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 05:22 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: X Supercharged
Transmission: 4.11 5MT Swap
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Nice start to your journal from a fellow teenager! I did the Gatorade bottle coolant overflow tank.

post #8 of 320 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 05:45 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1999
Car Model: Forester S Turbo
Transmission: STi 6MT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I like what I see here, keep it up!

Just a heads up incase you didn't know, the Group N STI Transmission Mount
and engine mounts will give you much more noise from the engine, I would go for the regular STI ones, because the grp N ones are so hard, and not really needed for a NA engine, and they give you a bit less noise.

Unless you're like me and like mechanical noise.
After I installed my heavy duty pitch stop mount I suddenly heard much more gearbox noise, and I love that kind of sounds :D

post #9 of 320 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 05:50 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: X Supercharged
Transmission: 4.11 5MT Swap
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I'm getting a Group N trans mount and lurve gear whine.

post #10 of 320 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 09:09 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Sorta Frush Forester
Transmission: 4EAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDrives1 View Post

lol ill be giving you a hollar from time to time pretty soon ;)

01 Forester
88 Celica All Trac Turbo
post #11 of 320 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 09:11 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Sorta Frush Forester
Transmission: 4EAT
good start the car looks very clean! i too had to do the headgaskets right around 160k :( took most of my money i had saved for my swap lol. where did you get the rear diff gaurd i need one!

01 Forester
88 Celica All Trac Turbo
post #12 of 320 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotaxmax3 View Post
I like what I see here, keep it up!

Just a heads up incase you didn't know, the Group N STI Transmission Mount
and engine mounts will give you much more noise from the engine, I would go for the regular STI ones, because the grp N ones are so hard, and not really needed for a NA engine, and they give you a bit less noise.

Unless you're like me and like mechanical noise.
After I installed my heavy duty pitch stop mount I suddenly heard much more gearbox noise, and I love that kind of sounds :D
I love mechanical whine, I like to hear the parts working together and feel them as well. Also when the exhaust is done I doubt I'll be able to hear much of anything besides the stereo and that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillChill_36 View Post
good start the car looks very clean! i too had to do the headgaskets right around 160k :( took most of my money i had saved for my swap lol. where did you get the rear diff gaurd i need one!
Hmm the rear diff guard has been on the car since my uncle owned it and is an SPT part, so I'd assume the Subaru Dealership, if not Primitive Offroad makes a rear diff plate for foresters.

00 Foz
AKA:
post #13 of 320 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 06:53 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1999
Car Model: Forester S Turbo
Transmission: STi 6MT
Just thought I'd give you the heads up :D

I have a noisy exhaust, but I can still hear the whine :P

The most amplified sound is the sound of the starter motor when you change the pitch stopper :D

post #14 of 320 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 07:05 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: EJ257 Hybrid S 5MT
Transmission: 5MT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Welcome, welcome! Great start, man!

-Philip

post #15 of 320 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
Well since my birthday was a week ago I figured it was time I treated myself to some more car parts...here's a sneak peak of what I picked up today :D

Crappy cell pics because It's late and I'm too lazy to get nicer ones until they're cleaned up.

00 Foz
AKA:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Member Gallery > Members' Journals

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode