Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

99 SF5 wrx build

('98-'00) 
7K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  Kona_jesse 
#1 ·
Aloha everyone!

Here goes the story...

About a month ago I was browsing craigslist and a wrecked 04 wrx popped up for sale. On a whim , I text the guy about it and got some pictures back.

Car was totaled in shipping from oahu to the big island. Texted the guy and set a date to meet up. Headed over to the east side of the island to take a look at it and finally settled on a price of $2800! Had some goodies like a invidia catback, sti intercooler, short shifter, spare motor mounts, timing belt, etc.

Now I was on the search to put this drivetrain into. Really wanted to find a RS, like my brother one, but saw a 99 forester for sale, cheap. Liked what lesac did with his sf5 and want to build something similiar.

Checked it out and got it for $300!! SCORE! Pretty clean sf5 with no rust and 160k on the frame. Had a crack windshield, but minor. Lady said it wouldn't start. Decided to bring a battery and try it. Cranked and started up. Not to well, though. Has a horrible knock. But got it to move under it own power. Check one for a win. Drove about 5 miles and it just couldn't go any more. Towed it the rest of the way home and here they sat for a bit.

I was waiting for my brother to finish his 83 pickup in the garage. Finally got it out today and decided to pull the wrx in and start getting the dash out.

Drove the wrx out and towed the foz in for it's dash removal.

Next step is to pull the wrx engine out and look it over, possible rebuild. It was a dead #1 cylinder and I think the valve is burnt.
I plan on swapping everything from the wrx to the foz. The foz has a pretty decent interior so think I'm going to keep it stock there for now.
I try and update when I do some progress on the swap. Mahalos for checking my build out!

See less See more
#3 ·
Finally got the engine pulled! My brother help out and we got it out after figuring out the clutch fork has to come out first.

Dont mind the green paint. Everything is getting cleaned and painted.

Started to tear the engine apart. Couldnt see anything wrong with the valves, yet.

#10 ·
Update:

Got the harnesses shipped out today, $120 for shipping. The downside of living on a island.

Started to tear the ej205 apart to replace gasket and see what up with number 1 cylinder.

first head off.

Found it! burnt exhuast valve.

Yup that one is toasted. Valve seat looks good, so thats good.

Pulled the other head. All looks good here.

Here how the engine sits.

Both have those tiny cracks in between the valve but dont continue into the valve seats. Was going to have a machine shop clean and install the new valves but they quoted me 370 just to clean and pressure test them. Nvm. Got a valve order through the local dealer and should be in next friday. Started to pull the valves to change to seals out and lap the valves. Everything is looks cherry so far, so hopefully I can get this engine back together next week.

Anyone have any tricks on getting the heads clean of the carbon? Im using jet a as a degreaser right now on the grime but dunno about the carbon on the heads and valves.

#11 ·
Sweet project! And it must be a little harder to get ahold of salvage stuff on the Big Island. I've been to Kona twice, absolutely love the vibe there.

Once you get it done and running, you can jam on over to Tex's on the other side for Malasadas! What a great drive. :)

#13 ·
Update:

Got the crossmember out of the forester

All the flights got cancelled so my brother, buddy and I pulled the wrx and drop the crossmember out.

Bolted the forester crossmember up to the wrx so we could roll it out. The wrx is skying!

Today I dropped the rear subframe out

#17 ·
Haven't updated in a while. Let me dad take it out for a spin last october and crack another valve. So pulled the engine and it sat for a couple months. finally after the holidays and traveling was done got to finish the engine and get it running ago. Dropped in all new brian crower exhaust valves.

Burnt valve

Back up and running. Also got some new rims.

stolen the rims from this one.:grin2:

#22 ·
The more I drive this car the more I love it!!

Haven't updated in awhile. My parents were is a motorcycle accident, so been helping them adjust to their new lifestyle.

So got my a/c working in my car finally! Found out it had the safety switch on the compressor. Jumped the wires and nice cold a/c. Also order the perrin diff lockdown kit. Kit gave a noticable tighter feel in the rear end.

Hated how my intercooler fins were all dings and bent over. Spent all day today but got them straight, and it looks much better.

before

After

Next thing is to some new swaybar endlinks and rim/tires.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.