Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2008 ForesterAE; Daisy

29K views 75 replies 16 participants last post by  vicali 
#1 · (Edited)
See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Washed and detailed.

My brother came to visit and we spent a few hours cleaning up the car,
We had picked it up in June and it had never had a good go over since we got it.

it turned out pretty.

of course we had to go for a drive and ended up getting dirty again,
but it's a subaru, that's how it rolls..

#10 · (Edited)
Watching craigslist and kijiji proved fruitful; I came across this 06 STi catback with 8K km for $40..
after a few pms with neoshi and RedImpreza07 I learned that it would bolt onto my 08 NA Forester so I decided to pick it up.

I bolted on the axelback section, it was a breeze after I used a torch to adjust the mount rather than getting XL hangers, Thanks Cannonshooter.

Now I can hear the exhaust when I'm driving and it has a really nice low burble at idle, no drone and the STi tip looks good poking out. .

I'm still watching for more STi goodies...

#16 ·
As vicali said, they are actually body panels (well, the bumpers and side skirts are, the door pieces are cladding). You CAN get those, they were standard on '03-'05 US market 2.5X models, so they would fit on your '05 FXT. :smile: You'd just have to order them.

#17 ·
Vicali, do you think you could explain a little more about the TSD rally thing? It's something I'd be interested in getting into someday. I understand that it isn't actually a 'speed' race, but that's all I know. lol The Outback is begging for an excuse to get dirty.

Need more pics! :rasperrry:

#18 ·
Vicali, do you think you could explain a little more about the TSD rally thing?
oh I hate talking about Rally.. :icon_rolleyes: lol

I started because here in Kamloops we have a few member of the West Coast Rally Association who put together beginner classes to give people a chance to try the sport;

there are 6 rallies in the real series around here; plus a Novice series for beginners. Last summer we ran the Novice series (3 events) and really had fun. We ended up coming in third overall, myself 3rd for drivers and my brother 2nd for Navi's.

You don't need any special car prep (unless you want to) there is an inspection but it is mostly lights/ insurance/ safety stuff. We ran our forester in a midst of Imprezas and a few others.. one of the local series winners runs a 07 FXT and does awesome.

Once you get started the whole idea is that you are trying to match a control cars speed (car 0) over the entire rally. Someone had run the course and recorded the distances and when they got to each point. You get notes with their start time and distances and have to calculate the rest for your car; ie car #6 runs car 0+6 minutes, one car starts every minute.. (we run in calculator class... there is a seperate class if you are using rally computers and then there is a hardcore class running paper and pencils!) you are trying to come in at each control to the second that they did. Every second over is a points, in the novice class we were getting around 100 points over 300km, 6 stage rally. In the real series there are more than 10 cars within 10points over the same distance rally.

In our club we run pretty fair Rallies, there are some clubs that are full of tricks and traps to get you off time. Do some googling and find local clubs who put these on; they are also called Time Speed Distance rallies, Navigation Rally, Road Rally, Poker Rally... etc

They have been going on for a long time, the local one here is on it's 37th annual.. I started telling our parents about it and they used to run them when they were teenagers..:biggrin:

This year we are hanging back a bit, I got right sideways @ 70km/hr in the mud during the last one and lost 100 seconds calming down after that; can't ditch the daily driver.. we need a project that won't be the end of the world if it gets wrinkled up.. So this year I am volunteering with the stage events.

check out Rally Central for more info in the states.

also Specialstage North American Rally Resource has TSD sections in with the Stage big guns..

#21 · (Edited)
Finally some spring weather here.
Spent the day outside in the Driveway with the sun.

went to town with the scratchX, Claybar, Meg Step 1+2, and finished off with GoldClass..

the results;

Just need to give the trim some final touches and it will be all set.
All in all a good day. :biggrin:

#23 ·
Camping Recce Trip in March

Went for a little exploring yesterday; we are trying to find good camping lakes for our westfalia during the summer that are around Kamloops; this day we headed north to check out the Barriere Lakes, and Johnson Lake.

North Barriere lake was a nice looking, quite spot with a forestry camspite halfway along the lake. The foot of snow and closed gate prevented us from really checking it out but it is in a cedar/hemlock type forest so dark and wet-ish. Good fishing lake though.

We went on to find Johnson lake and ended up hitting snow on the road.. I wasn't too excited about some of the slopes so we decided to come back in a month and then made it a circle route by driving down through Adams Lake.
Found a promising site at the Adams Lake provincial park, 23 spots on the lake with a decent beach, and just out of the way enough that it might not be a zoo during the summer.

Best part was finding a promising campsite, worst part was either;
a) forgetting the puppy treats and having a pouting lab for part of the trip (emergency stop at the Barriere grocery mart for milkbones fixed that)
b) rain washing all the mud of the Forester on the highway home :icon_frown:

all said it was an afternoon well spent.

#24 ·
Yakima RailGrab

Finally pictures of our new canoe racks;

We chose a Yakima Railgrab system for the 08 Roof Rails, they have two different 'teeth' you can switch to get the best grip.

I used the small tooth and got it mounted tight againts the factory rail, once everything was tightened down I could shake the car from the rack with not a trace of movement.

The Gunwale bracket kit comes compete with four brackets and two buckle straps for securing the canoe;

Overall I'm thrilled with the setup, I also got the Bow/Stern Ratchet set and added fender loops for the front tie down like this. We took it out for a paddle sunday and ended up driving through a rain/hail/snow storm, then 20km over a gravel forestry road, and then 10km/h down a windy highway for good measure. Our new boat was safe and secure the whole time. stay tuned for pics with the boat.. :biggrin:

#29 · (Edited)
Finally had a nice day to work on the car in the driveway after weeks of rain..

I took apart the rear door and fixed the rattles a la fujisan.. worked great, I used a few pieces of closecell foam and double sided tape..

then I de-snorkled for fun..
One thing I did was instead of the foam seal for the airbox I reversed the intake piece on the trim ring and mounted it back into the fender;

and no love for the snorkus;

well see how it goes without it, it may go back in if it's too annoying..

now I'm off to the Helmer stage to watch the Mt.Trails Rally :banana:

#30 ·
Just hitting the 48K km mark (That's the 30K mile service for you 'mericans)..
A+B+D service time..

I phone the local dealership and get a $800 estimate, after stewing a bit I phone around to the other local (+-200km away) dealerships and get two $600/4hr estimates, then a $450-500/4hr at the dealership that we originally bought the car from; they'll do the work on a saturday, and even get me a loaner for the day. :biggrin:

Sounds good to me.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.