Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

06 Forester XT... It could be worse..

('06-'08) 
87K views 284 replies 31 participants last post by  Blingstrom 
#1 · (Edited)
06 Forester XT... Lifted daily driving.

Hi, hello and welcome to my 06 Forester XT build/maintaining daily driving journey. Hoping to iron out all the rough edges and hopefully enhance a few spots to improve on what Subaru made. Title borrows from Top Gear and their constant "could be worse" when cars break down/get stuck/something else crazy happens.

Not too new to the Subaru family as this is my 3rd Subaru. First being an 04 WRX that I def miss but had to get rid of to make room for my 05 STi. My STi has become my very dedicated auto-x car and now can retire to let the Forester take over easily driving duties. My 05 STi build can be found here. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2562752
Picture for those interested here.
Morning Views by Blingstrom, on Flickr

Current Forester picture!

Kaw Park Downtown Kansas City by Blingstrom, on Flickr

Had been on the look out for a new daily driver Subaru for about 5 months and this one ended up at a dealership for a day before being shipped off to second hand lot and then passed on to me. Luckily the dealership that had it was a very small lot off the highway that had no interest on trying to work on it or sell it.

Picked it up for wholesale pricing after having a look at it on their lift and was much surprised at 198k there weren't many leaks or rust for a car from the Midwest. Out of a 500 mile search radius this was only 5 speed Forester so I was very happy to take it off their hands. Only slight worry was obvious signs of a blown out radiator and brand new radiator.

Drove her 45 miles back to my buddies house after picking it up and decided to clean her up as neither dealership had even cleaned her at all. Plenty of dog hair and human filth to be scrubbed and cleaned.

First bath.

Modification list:

Interior:

02-07 Wrx/STi pedal covers

Sti floor mats

Modded light in glove box

STI leather/aluminum shift knob

10" shift extension

Suspension:

ADF 2' front lift and 2.5" rear

ADF 2" trailing arm spacer.

KYB excel-g struts

Adjustable rear end links (Loyale fab)

Whiteline front adjustable endlinks

Engine:

New to me used engine at 214K (new used engine 124k)

Vf39 Turbo

08 STI intercooler

04-07 Sti midpipe and axle back exhaust

Aem Dryflow air filter

Snorkus delete

Invidia V2 catted downpipe

Grimmspeed downpipe to catback adapter

Grimmspeed PnP exhaust manifold and x-pipe ceramic coated

Perrin turbo Inlet

Grimmspeed silicone intercooler couplers

Cobb stage 3 OTS

Exterior:
07-08 Forester sports grill

02-03 Jdm STi hood scoop

06-08 Euro Subaru flares

Forester sport headlights

03-05 Forester tail lights

Yakima load warrior w/full-size spare

GrimmSpeed high lift hood shocks

Ebay center caps for a 12 Outback

Modified Subaru oem rock deflector for hood scoop air flow

Wellvisors rain gaurds

Wheels/Tires:

Gorilla silver spline lug nuts

Method Mr502 VT et 15 15x7

Firestone Destination A/T 235/70R15

See less See more
#66 ·
Finally got a new shift knob, thoroughly enjoying the weight and shape. Feels great! I did go with a six speed just so I can swap between the two cars if I want to. Drove out and took some more photos.

The time for autocross is upon us. Met this cool guy with his "Subaru". Was a wet cold weekend but overall it was good to get back out.

Also finally decided to replace my old power steering pump with a new unit from Subaru. So far it seems like it has fixed the inconsistent heaviness that has plagued it. Also it cut out on the same turn for every run last weekend... So hopefully that is behind me.

#67 ·
Nothing like more photos to keep the fun rolling on. Sometimes I think the Forester is just too photogenic.. can never get enough. Sadly my camera tripod toppled over and my lenses, while not hitting the ground.. exploded. Anyways new lenses hopefully here on Tuesday so I can go on some more adventures and drives to get more shots like these.

Here we are running and gunning at sunset. Thanks for stopping by.

#68 ·
Anyone interested in center caps for Method vt-spec 502s may want to take note. I have finally discovered a set that fits and holds well. Miles traveled include 120 miles of highway speeds. So far so good. Here is a few images for those interested! I can link if needed as well!

The shallow depth is what is the real trouble.

Snapped in as tight as it goes. Cant remove them easily.. so that seems to be a good sign.

Finished product!

Random shot from a hotel room that I thought was neat.

#69 ·
Attached my new lenses to my camera and then the camera to my new to me tripod. Enjoying the new setup.. and decided to go crazy and buy an even better lenses. Hopefully it's here by Thursday for some fun shots this weekend.

Looking at getting some flares as well.. now just which ones to choose. Also started up a foundation for an undercarriage protecter/bullbar. So far so good.

#73 ·
Thanks! All pictures in this thread prior to the last two posts were on my Canon t2i with 50mm 1.8f. Then my tripod fell over and my lenses popped apart... Even though it wasn't hit by anything. So that was weird.

All photos from now will either be Canon 50mm 1.4 or 135mm 2.0. Really amazed at what the 135 can do. Here it is hard at work on the second day of getting it. Just got my CPL filter in for it.. pretty excited to test it out.

#76 ·
Can't disagree with you on either of those points! Thanks so much!

I was going to wash the STI and take some fancy pictures but it has been raining for the last 4 days on and off.. well what can you do, so I furthered my cleaning and dirtied up the Forester good!

Raining on and off, before we got dirty!

Then a turn for the worse but oh so fun.

Glad the rally armors are there!

#79 ·
I agree and understand the feeling! Whenever I am running through the site and other Forester pictures I dearly want a lowered STi'd wagon, they look so amazing! Having the STI keeps me pretty content on low stuff.

I have never done anything lifted so this is quite a new journey for me and so far so good! Thanks for checking out the build and your kind words!

#80 ·
Well, exhaust made it here...! And it is the wrong one. Oh well.. waiting now to send it back and get the new one. In other news did some auto-x in my other Subaru. Video for the interested.

Little sneak peak of a current project that a friend and I have been working on. Hopefully we will have it done by the end of the month or sooner.

Lastly bought a Recaro for the Forester... maybe not quite what you were thinking but it will keep someone very special safe. Also the cat is digging it!

#83 · (Edited)
Sadly one year ago was the last day I spent with my Grandpa. We rode in the Forester together for the first time, I got on it like all my cars... he laughed and smiled. Asked what the hood scoop was for and some of his usual jokes and stories. He was a great person to have in my life and I knew he got me.. But I never knew how much.

He left me two items specifically, one being a tripod that he and my grandmother used when we were growing up. He knew my passion for filming/photography and wanted me to have it. The other being a little stuffed Fozzie the Bear, I had told him how Foresters are often refereed to as Fozzys or Foz and he must of kept that in his mind. Every time I see my Forester or my camera equipment I am reminded of how he help shape me as a person and the times we shared together. Truly is a great feeling.

Little tribute picture for him.

On a less sad note today was also Mother's day. MY Mom was on vacation this weekend so she came up to see me the weekend prior. I finally got to have her out for a race event! She commented that she doesn't even like my street driving... so why was she going onto an open course with me! We had a great time and was my favorite auto-x event to date. Here is a picture snagged by a roving camera man of us mid turn. I thought cool, I can see her arm! Well it isn't the greatest photo but when extremely zoomed I can see her laughing/smiling. Seriously, no better way to spend mothers day than with your Mom as your co-pilot!

Regular photo

Might be hard to see but there she is!

Hope everyone else had a lovely mothers day and enjoyable weekend.

#84 ·
Blingstrom,Great looking Forester!! Did you have to use any wheel spacers for those methods? I assume you went from a 215/60/16 to a 235/70/15..I'm trying to go for a similar look for my 04 as you an WRDREW but I was trying to stay away from spacers if I could help it...I also have a 2"lift on order...Thanks for help and again AWESOME car!

#86 ·
Thanks so much! We do our very best.

I do not have wheel spacers. I choose these very wheels based on the brake clearance, offset, size and durability. So far they have been terrific in all facets. They are the 15 offset so they definitely push the wheels out just past the fenders.

I am sure they will amazing on your ride too. Good luck with your future plans and build!
'

#89 ·
Sorry about your grandpa bro.
On a happier note, That's awesome you got to take your mom with you on the track! I did a run at the drag strip with my mom before and she loved it, that was a long time ago with my slowish civic I had before so no real reason for her to be scared haha.

#90 ·
Yeah it was rough and I was noted as the "favorite". But I just think of all the times we shared and not that times that are missed. Thanks for your words.

Yep, was the best auto-x I can think of. She had a blast now if I can wake her up early enough to co drive someday that would be great. Drag racing with your Mom had to be awesome! Never have had a chance to do that.. I did have a civic back when I did more drag racing as well! Did really well in bracket racing and then blew up the clutch and never had a chance to go back.

Just happen to have a few pictures of it. Was kinda my first big car build.

Thanks for stopping by and looking/commenting. Have a great day man!

#93 ·
Second weekend project... completed! Much more of a challenge than we anticipated. Tried to just add extended length hangers to help center and get it proper.. apparently the curt hitch might have caused a few issues. Ended up just chopping them up and rewelding the hangers to help center and hold it on. Friends with welders and the ability to use them.. priceless!

Slight differences easily visible here

Gettting chopped!

Unfortunately shipping wasn't too easy on the muffler.. Not that big of a deal to me.. Probably won't be that pristine within the next year of driving

Glorious finished shots

Yay! Came out pretty well.

#95 · (Edited)
Enjoying the new exhaust.. Just the right amount of boxer rumble to enjoy but still drive every day without annoying girlfriends.

New picture of said exhaust hard at work catching a break in the clouds after a long rainy day.

Dark and light by Blingstrom, on Flickr

#96 ·
Having a great Memorial day weekend out at Parking for Paws car show with all proceeds going towards our local humane society. Buddy didn't want to take his car so here we are with both for the car show. Fun times!

Adoptable dogs were out with their blue vests on to identify them.

Lastly new parts were ordered for the Forester.. Stay tuned to find out what we have to do!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.