Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

06 Forester XT... It could be worse..

('06-'08) 
87K views 284 replies 31 participants last post by  Blingstrom 
#1 · (Edited)
06 Forester XT... Lifted daily driving.

Hi, hello and welcome to my 06 Forester XT build/maintaining daily driving journey. Hoping to iron out all the rough edges and hopefully enhance a few spots to improve on what Subaru made. Title borrows from Top Gear and their constant "could be worse" when cars break down/get stuck/something else crazy happens.

Not too new to the Subaru family as this is my 3rd Subaru. First being an 04 WRX that I def miss but had to get rid of to make room for my 05 STi. My STi has become my very dedicated auto-x car and now can retire to let the Forester take over easily driving duties. My 05 STi build can be found here. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2562752
Picture for those interested here.
Morning Views by Blingstrom, on Flickr

Current Forester picture!

Kaw Park Downtown Kansas City by Blingstrom, on Flickr

Had been on the look out for a new daily driver Subaru for about 5 months and this one ended up at a dealership for a day before being shipped off to second hand lot and then passed on to me. Luckily the dealership that had it was a very small lot off the highway that had no interest on trying to work on it or sell it.

Picked it up for wholesale pricing after having a look at it on their lift and was much surprised at 198k there weren't many leaks or rust for a car from the Midwest. Out of a 500 mile search radius this was only 5 speed Forester so I was very happy to take it off their hands. Only slight worry was obvious signs of a blown out radiator and brand new radiator.

Drove her 45 miles back to my buddies house after picking it up and decided to clean her up as neither dealership had even cleaned her at all. Plenty of dog hair and human filth to be scrubbed and cleaned.

First bath.

Modification list:

Interior:

02-07 Wrx/STi pedal covers

Sti floor mats

Modded light in glove box

STI leather/aluminum shift knob

10" shift extension

Suspension:

ADF 2' front lift and 2.5" rear

ADF 2" trailing arm spacer.

KYB excel-g struts

Adjustable rear end links (Loyale fab)

Whiteline front adjustable endlinks

Engine:

New to me used engine at 214K (new used engine 124k)

Vf39 Turbo

08 STI intercooler

04-07 Sti midpipe and axle back exhaust

Aem Dryflow air filter

Snorkus delete

Invidia V2 catted downpipe

Grimmspeed downpipe to catback adapter

Grimmspeed PnP exhaust manifold and x-pipe ceramic coated

Perrin turbo Inlet

Grimmspeed silicone intercooler couplers

Cobb stage 3 OTS

Exterior:
07-08 Forester sports grill

02-03 Jdm STi hood scoop

06-08 Euro Subaru flares

Forester sport headlights

03-05 Forester tail lights

Yakima load warrior w/full-size spare

GrimmSpeed high lift hood shocks

Ebay center caps for a 12 Outback

Modified Subaru oem rock deflector for hood scoop air flow

Wellvisors rain gaurds

Wheels/Tires:

Gorilla silver spline lug nuts

Method Mr502 VT et 15 15x7

Firestone Destination A/T 235/70R15

See less See more
#31 · (Edited)
Out with the old and in with the new. Replaced my factory downpipe with an Invidia catted unit today. Was in the STi but it was upgraded to the GrimmSpeed ceramic coated version. Onward to stage II!

Chopped and installed downpipe w/heat shield.

#32 · (Edited)
Another nice spring day. Decided to clean up the Forester a bit and give it a nice clay barring. Which is actually a clay mitt that I ordered awhile back and finally got to use. Seemed to do the trick and quicker than the bar. Hopefully within the next few months I can talk a friend into buffing and polishing the car.

Decided to try for a few fancy shots while she is clean!

Thanks for stopping by!

#34 ·
Haha you are not the first one to say that but I love how you think! Now my girlfriend will like to say otherwise but what does she know. Thanks!

I was kinda worried about the whole it has 205k miles on it... Should I mod it? But now there is no looking back. I do happen to have an old vf39 that needs rebuilt.. so who knows? Also have a GrimmSpeed AOS that I can't decide if I should sell or put on the Forester.. so time will tell.

#42 ·
Thanks man, I appreciate the kind words! I had black wheels on my STi previously and remember how hard they were to keep clean and I am quite a neat freak when it comes to my cars exteriors. I really wished they would have offered a gold/bronze option, but silver works quite well.

I have had at least one other person ask me where I got them painted as they thought black was the only color offered in the wheels.

#45 ·
Few things to take care of on the Forester and blessed with some excellent weather.

New to the Forester STi floor mats from the STi. Another hand-me-down upgrade!

Had some brakes to take care of on the rear.

Pretty straight forward. Only the rear rust lip for the drum doing some self clearancing.

Ended up with a non-pictured o-ring repair on a trans sensor that had a bit of a steady seep. And to end it all spaced out the LF lower control arm to finally rid myself of the incessant rubbing in parking lots. Need to realign and see where caster landed.

Lastly started this project. Hope to get some photos of it tomorrow.

#46 ·
Good stuff. I like seeing all your hand-me-down upgrades haha, I can already see where this is leading...

I'm also in the position of needing an AOS/catch can after recently-ish going the VF turbo route. Had essentially 0 blowby before, now it's pretty noticeable haha.

Subscribed for future updates. I also saw your post on reddit today ;)

#47 ·
Thanks for stopping by and kind words! The Forester sure enjoys them and so do I! I am slightly unsure on the vf39 upgrade at the moment. With the giant tires, gearing and tune it is really enjoyable to drive.. so I am confused on if it is where I want to be.

I might just hold off on the vf39 until I plop a new motor in. Or hell I will probably just get bored and do it anyways.. part of the fun portion of not planning my projects.

One quick question for you would be have you checked your intercooler for oil after swapping to a VF or did you go a new/rebuilt VF? I thought my STi engine had bad blowby but it just ended up being the turbo seals dumping oil into the intercooler and engine.

#50 ·
Well I put a 5mm spacer in my left front lower control arm to gain back some lost caster. Appears that has fixed the rubbing and straightened out any cross-caster. Good stuff. Unable to get left rear camber in without a bolt it appears.

Another shot out and about with some late afternoon sun flare fun.

#55 · (Edited)
Yes indeed. I think I jumped the gun and replaced my engine prematurely because of the smoke the turbo would pump out on start up. Now after owning the Forester I have had the intercooler off a few times and know what is too much oil and what is typical. So as per usual practice makes perfect. Hope you get it figured out man!

Another funtime Forester picture to drop off while I am here! Got some new lugnuts to replace the factory units.. give it that extra something. Hope they arrive before the weekend!

#60 ·
More stuff on the way but here is a quick shot from todays haul. Rays dura nuts 50mm and Rally armor universal set. Ordered a speed nut/screw set from amazon today after not finding any decent sets at the local hardware shops.

I actually ordered the rally sport with black logos and received this instead. Emailed the seller about how to fix it.. well he just refunded my order and said if I want the proper color go ahead and order. Think I will give these a whirl for the time being.

Thanks for stopping by!

#61 · (Edited)
Well just finished up my weekend projects before the weekend started! Installed some universal Rally armor flaps, new rays duranuts 50mm and a super fun and full of ridiculousness 10" shifter extension. Here's some photos!

Stock shifter.. not even aware that something is amiss.

Shifter extension and speed nut/screws package to install Rally armors.

Oh yeaaaaaah! New improved shiftknob is on the way.

Rally armor universal fit install.

Going right back into the prior holes used for the factory units. That have been made obsolete by these oversized tires.

Speed clip taking over for the previously installed and now broken subaru factory units.

#62 ·
Images of installation

All done!

New lug nuts vs old!

Also washed both cars. The mudflaps passed the highway and mud test. Much mud was flung against them.. and they did not fly off while at highway speed and that is a pass by my grading scale.

Sti got its tires rotated and is ready for another year of auto-x.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.