Oil consumption - Page 2 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine and Exhaust
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2008, 03:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: 2.5X
Gallery: 100
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I wouild say a quart every 10,000 miles. A quart every 1000 miles is retarded. That's what is used by vehicle manuyfactures bc they don't want to fix the problem. If my dealer would not fix it at that rate..sorryt I would let some oil out during a "consumption test"
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2008, 06:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: '09
Car Model: STI
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Mine only takes about a 1/2 qt. when it's at the bottom of the stick. Make sure you check it under consistent conditions i.e. cold, same level spot, etc.

If you're hard on a turbo car it will tend to eat a bit more than others.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:11 AM   #18 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 05
Car Model: XT2.5
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Mine used a bit up to 10000 miles but I broke it in very gently. Now (36000 miles and 340hp) it might use a litre over 5000 miles. I don't think that's out of order. No piston ring seals 100% and there are lots of other places for it to get out. Having said that you don't want to see oil anywhere on the engine.
forestergump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:15 AM   #19 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester X
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Yeah, all engines use some oil. It gets by the metal to metal seal between the piston rings and cylinder walls. Oil also squeaks past the rubber valve stem seals, and then past the metal on metal valve stems and cylinder head guides.

How much oil consumed can be directly related to the age of the engine. All the gaps between seals increase due to friction and wearing down the parts over time. Oil consumption is also related to how tightly the engine is built and how tight the original tolerances are.

Sometimes it's good to use a thicker oil as an engine ages. This can be beneficial to the engine because it keeps the oil where it's needed longer, and less oil will get burnt. As the gaps between parts (such as main bearings, rod bearings, piston rings, etc) increases thinner oil is pushed out faster and has less chance to lubricate. A slightly thicker oil can be considered such as 10w40, or even 20w50 on really old engines. Also, it wasn't until recently that engine tolerances were even made tight enough for 5w30 oil... 5w30 really needs tight tolerance between parts otherwise it will burn more quickly.

Very new engines will also burn more oil because when the cylinders are first honed the walls have a rough surface (as seen under a microscope). This surface allows oil to seep past the rings and into the combustion changer as the piston is pulled down the cylinder. When the piston strokes back up, the rings act like a squeegee and actually push this thin layer of oil lining the cylinder wall into the combustion chamber. Usually after about 600 miles the piston rings sand down the cylinder walls making a better seal.

I use whichever synthetic is on sale when I change my oil and I go one year or 20,000 miles between changes. I also notice that the amount of consumption varies and it seems that in hot weather more oil gets used. I burn a quart between about 1,500 and 5,000 miles depending on whatever and I have just under 70,000 miles in the engine.

craigr
Old 03-19-2008, 05:27 AM   #20 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 5 spd manual
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

My FXT was using about 1 qt of oil every 3K miles when using Mobil 1 (both 5W-30 and 10W-30). I bought a bunch of valvoline full synthetic in 5W-30 because it was half off and have not lost any oil in 2K miles.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:16 AM   #21 (permalink)
Forum Member

I use Mobile synthetic 5W30 and change it every 7000 miles or 8 months. My Nissan Sentra doesn't consume any oil but the Forester is at the half mark when I change the oil.
razz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:19 AM   #22 (permalink)
Forum Member

Hey adc, I remember you from b15sentra.net! Did you buy a Forester?
razz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:38 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by riore3 View Post
I have an 06FXT with 58000 miles. I always use synthetic and change every 3000 miles. I started to use a quart between oil changes on Valvoline Synpower and Castrol Syntec. I switched to Mobil 1 Truck and SUV and no more oil usage. I was amazed, but it is true. I do not have to add a drop in between oil changes. I buy a 5 Quart jug in Walmart.
Interesting.....I began using synthetic oil (Mobil 1 5w-30) in my 04 XT after I reached about 9,000 miles. Almost immediately I noticed that I was adding about a half-quart or so of oil every 1,000-1,500 miles. When I reached 40,000 miles I switched to Castrol Syntec and noticed zero oil consumption between 3,500 mile oil changes. I now have over 60,000 miles and still zero consumption between changes.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:01 PM   #24 (permalink)

Car Year: 2002
Car Model: Forester

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesubie View Post
1 qt. per 1,000 miles is considered normal by a lot of manufacturers.
Sadly true..., but I had a Nissan Altima and at 100K it burnt a half pint only between changes, granted I changed oil in it every 3K and used good synthetic blends. I had a Toyota Corolla that ate less than a half quart in 3K and had 135K miles on it.
I stopped using Mobil 1 in the Forester because it burns off really fast in mine. Sometimes over a quart in 3K miles, especially in the summer. The car has 73K miles on it. Trying Amsoil 10w-30 currently.
Pannonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:23 AM   #25 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: FXT
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pannonia View Post
Trying Amsoil 10w-30 currently.
Could you do a used oil analysis on that? I'm considering Amsoil as well.

-Dennis
Old 03-31-2008, 08:44 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesubie View Post
Could you do a used oil analysis on that?
Yes, I plan to do one after 3K on the oil, @75K on the car. I already have the Blackstone kit.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:53 AM   #27 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: FXT
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

3,000? I would go at least 5,000 on Amsoil before a uoa.

edit: You're n.a.? 7,500 miles FTW.

-Dennis
Old 04-01-2008, 07:14 AM   #28 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 01
Car Model: Forester Ltd
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

^^^ Yaa , Amsoil is to save on maintenance by extended oil changes, I would defintely if it was me. I have used it in the pass and have extended to 15000 km or 9000miles With oil filter change and top off 1/2 way thru at 4500 miles but i also had an extra large oil filter and remote oil filter. I also had it on a N/A Engine.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:29 AM   #29 (permalink)

I want to see what it looks like after 3K in the Foz. I might not drain it just pump out some for analysis. Especially that I had to have the head gaskets replaced at 71K and I want to see if it was done right. If it works out I might go to 5K or 7K change intervals.

BTW, extended mileage attempts show that Amsoil goes out of grade around 8K miles. For example, the 5w-30 becomes 5w-40. TBN is nearly depleted unless more oil is added to replenish it, and it will always needs topping off way before 8K. This is based on analysis results you can find on the web, not armchair theories.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:05 PM   #30 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 01
Car Model: Forester Ltd
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pannonia View Post
I want to see what it looks like after 3K in the Foz. I might not drain it just pump out some for analysis. Especially that I had to have the head gaskets replaced at 71K and I want to see if it was done right. If it works out I might go to 5K or 7K change intervals.

BTW, extended mileage attempts show that Amsoil goes out of grade around 8K miles. For example, the 5w-30 becomes 5w-40. TBN is nearly depleted unless more oil is added to replenish it, and it will always needs topping off way before 8K. This is based on analysis results you can find on the web, not armchair theories.
I think you mean 5w40 shears to 5w30?? But that depends on what vehicle and how its being used, as towing , racing , Turbo, etc. You have to follow the filter changes and thats how it is replenished, I have extra large filter which gives me more oil capacity and also helps with cooling.Please Armchair Theory ,from your comments you could use little homework.

Last edited by TECH MOD; 04-01-2008 at 05:11 PM.
TECH MOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine and Exhaust