Fuel Vapor Canister problem? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Car Year: 2000
Car Model: Forester L
Fuel Vapor Canister problem?

A few months ago I had a CEL code (I forget which one) in my 2000 Forester, which my mechanic traced to needing to replace the fuel vapor canister. (I admit that I did have a tendency to sometime over-fill the gas tank, which probably resulted in the canister finally getting over-saturated).

I have noticed though that ever since that time, my car does not seem to fill up quite as much as previously. The gas pump will usually click off too early. After it goes off, I can still usually manually pump anywhere from one to a few extra gallons into the tank. I don't want to risk over-filling it again and needing another canister though.

And now I don't seem to get nearly as many miles before the gas gauge again get to the "E".

Anyway...can the installation of this new fuel vapor canister be the cause of all this? Is it possible that some lines might be constricted, or the canister itself is causing this.

Paul Ruzicka
Aurora, Colorado
2000 Forester L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Taking a Walkabout in the Outback

The canister is only there to soak up rich fuel vapors left after shutoff.

It should not have anything to do with the fuel tank levels or filling, me thinks...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2001
Car Model: Forester
What happens on Subaru's is there's a wire that corrodes and throws a cel. Check that wire near that black box behind the passenger rear wheel.

I doubt your canister is the problem. I get intermittent symptoms that you are experiencing. I just haven't had the time to check it out.

2001 L 5 spd, Borla header, custom exhaust.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Car Year: 2000
Car Model: Forester L
Thanks for the info. Since the vapor canister was replaced, the CEL code has not come back. However, I do now have the aforementioned problem filling the tank fully.

Paul Ruzicka
Aurora, Colorado
2000 Forester L
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: 9-2x Aero
Transmission: Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzicka View Post
Thanks for the info. Since the vapor canister was replaced, the CEL code has not come back. However, I do now have the aforementioned problem filling the tank fully.
Have you checked the vent? A couple of us had this problem due to a blocked vent, check the 2nd and 3rd pages:
Car not filling with gas at pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine and Exhaust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.