Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

I have joined the fozzy nation

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Woogie 
#1 ·
New owner here from southwest Idaho. On Friday I signed the papers for a silver/black 2015 base model with CVT, alloy wheels, full tint and some minor dealer options like the bumper cover, rubber cargo mat and window shields. It was a private party sale and I think I got a good deal at $19K and only 21,000 miles.

I previously owned a top-of-the-line 2008 Versa hatchback which I really liked, but I totaled it in the snow back in December. Decided to buy a Forester because I needed more cargo room than a compact hatchback, but I drive a lot for work and didn't want something with a lot of miles on it or the horrible gas mileage of a full-sized SUV or large truck. The hybrid SUVs with better mileage were out of my price range. Plus I love fishing and getting to some spots requires driving down poorly-maintained service roads. So the Forester is right up my alley.

Don't anticipate doing any performance mods, but I will be swapping the head unit out for the aftermarket radio I had in the Versa.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello. Look forward to communicating with other owners.

#6 ·
Thanks everyone. I'll see if I can get some pictures up later today.

I actually already have it. I pulled it from the Versa before signing it over to the insurance company. The damage was to the back so the radio survived unscathed. It's a Pioneer AppRadio 3 SPH-DA110. With the AppRadio Unchained app on your phone and a few extra pieces of hardware it can do full mirroring with either Android or iPhone devices. It's just like having your smartphone or tablet embedded in the dash. There are about 15 different AppRadio models that are compatible, but it's a private project that Pioneer never embraced and they later changed the hardware so it doesn't work on current models. But it is amazing to have Google Maps I the dash and I'll never give mine up. :)

#7 ·
I took some photos after I got done running her down some of the dirt roads near my place, but I guess I don't have enough posts for links yet. The roads are in pretty bad shape due to all of the snow we have had over the past two months. This is the worst winter we have had in over 30 years for both snow and temperatures. She is going to be my daily driver, but I'm looking forward to fun in the outdoors once the ice on the local reservoir thaws. I've decided to call her Boo.

#8 ·
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

As to picture links...
New members can "attach pictures (thumbnails)", but are required to meet the requirements below to post an ad in the Member Classifieds, edit a post, or post links... to prevent spamming. :wink:

• Time as a member = 15 days, "New User" (displayed under the user name), changes to "Forum Member".
• Post count = 3+

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

#9 ·
Thanks. I had uploaded them to Photobucket but I guess I have enough posts to create thumbnails now. So here they are!

I'm strongly considering getting an aftermarket wireless passive key system installed. I had the stock wireless key system in my Versa and I really miss it already. It's hard to go back to digging keys out of your pocket after 10 years. LOL

Attachments

#10 ·
Same year and paint as mine! I covered most all of the chrome, it's a good look in my opinion.

P.s. I chuckled a bit at " top of the line Nissan Versa". I'm not sure if a Versa has been top of anything really lol. You must work in marketing, at least that's my feeling. It's your succinct descriptive style of writing, methinks.

Let me know if you end up having a passive key system installed, I would like to also. Too many times walking to the psgr door side after hopping from behind the wheel only to find that it's locked. Wish all doors auto unlocked with the driver just past killing the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I used to work in marketing, but I meant top-of-the-line as in the best Versa they made. It was the top trim and had everything except the upgraded audio system. Believe it or not, for the first couple of years the Versa in the higher trim was a very nice car and offered a lot of options that were only available on luxury vehicles at the time. The CVT, wireless key, padded memory foam seats, Bluetooth, six-speaker audio, lots of interior space... If you read some reviews from 2007 you will find a lot of praise for the car and how luxurious and well-equipped it was compared to the competition. Before then the vehicles on the lowest end of the economy car market were sometimes called "punishment boxes" and didn't even have air conditioning standard. LOL It wasn't until a couple of years later that Nissan decided to make the Versa the cheapest car in America and really cut the quality. But my 2008 SL was an awesome daily driver, never gave me any problems and I was really sad to have to say goodbye.

I went ahead and ordered a proximity wireless key system from Advanced Keys. I decided to get the knob version rather than the push-button start. Less complicated to install and doesn't require cutting the dash. I'll probably have it professionally installed and see if they can do the radio at the same time. I installed the radio in the Versa myself, but the Forester looks more difficult to get into and if they're going to have the dash apart anyway we might as well do it at the same time.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.