Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

First time Subaru owner from Miami

306 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Raz007 
#1 ·
Just traded in a 2014 Honda CRV for a 2017 Forester Limited 2.5i. I got the one with Eyesight, Nav, and Harman Kardon sound system. So far I'm liking it a lot. Cargo space is slightly less than the CRV, and I do carry a lot of stuff so that's important, but it's nothing I can't work around. I can still fit everything I need, just have to be a little creative with how I pack it.

The EyeSight features are excellent. First time having a car with anything like it. I know these systems have been around for a while now but none of my previous cars had anything similar.

I've read some not so good reviews about the HK system but compared to the "premium" system my CRV had, it sounds great. I always end up putting an aftermarket system in my cars, or at least add some components like a separate subwoofer, but the HK is good enough that I won't be doing that.

The Nav system is nice to have but I'm not crazy about the infrequent map updates and the cost of the updates after the first 36K miles. I mostly use Waze to get around town and a regular Garmin for long road trips.

Loving the sunroof too. The one on my CRV was tiny and I ended up almost never using it. Before the CRV I had several convertibles so the size of the Forester's sunroof is a welcome change to me.

This is my first Subaru and of course, I've read about all the common issues like oil consumption, head gasket problems, etc... but am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping the odds are with me and I got one of the "good" ones.

Best part is I will be driving it cross country from FL to CA in a few weeks!!

See less See more
#3 ·
So far it looks like I'll be moving out there permanently. I've done the same drive a few times over the last couple of years. Once was one-way then I flew back, the last time was round trip in the CRV I just traded in. Because of the time change, driving 10 hours a day at a leisurely pace with plenty of stops for myself and my dog it's about 4 days from FL to CA and between 4.5 to 5 days from CA to FL.

I know EyeSight doesn't always work well in bad weather but if the weather holds, it should make my drive a lot easier. The one-way trip I made was in a Honda Fit, manual with no cruise control. That was a bit of a chore. The CRV had cruise control and was a lot more comfortable. The Subaru's EyeSight should make it even better.

With regard to the oil consumption I'm worried about, I checked my oil this morning and at just over 500 miles it looks like it hasn't consumed a single drop. So far so good...

#5 ·
I can tell you that Eyesight makes long drives much, much easier. I drove to Tampa a few weeks ago and probably hit the pedals about 4 times while on the highway. You def still need to be aware of what's going on, especially coming up on a car going a lot slower than you, but it makes all the difference on a long trip.

It's too bad you are moving away! We need more Forester owners in SoFloSubies! I'm usually the only one at the meets.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.