post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 03
Car Model: Forester X
Transmission: Auto
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
9 Days Away from My First Suburu!!!!

Hello everyone! This is an awesome forum I have enjoyed pouring over posts for the last couple days.

It has come time to buy another vehicle, which is difficult for me because I have horrible credit and always end up in a sub prime loan on some piece of crap, but this time the stars have aligned and I have been approved on a 2003 Forester X Auto Trans with 132000 miles on it.

The dealer informs me that it was a 1 owner car, and they took it in trade from a local family who followed maintenence by the book. The dealer says the Head Gaskets, Timing Belt and Water Pump were all done last year. The tires on it are a matching set that are only about 1/3rd worn. Everything on the car works.

A quick carfax chack indicates there are 23 carfax entries for this car, but in walking around it with a flashlight, I cannot find any body panels with paint shade or texture that dont match the one next to it. I am a former detailer and spent 10 years in the car business and I can spot a body repair right away. Therefore I have to assume that the high number of carfax listings are predominantly services done at a suburu dealer, which would fall in line with what the selling dealer is indicating.

The selling dealer is a mom and pop place and the two owners strike me as honest (I have a very sensitive BS meter) and I walked around the rest of their lot and all the other cars they have for sale seem to have reasonable mileage, be in good condition, and be fairly priced.

In fact, this 03 Fozzy books on NADA for 7200, and they are selling the car to me for 5775 after a very little amount of negotiation.

I am going down this morning to put my (refundable) deposit on the car, and take it for a test drive (which should be good because we just had a dusting of snow overnight and the roads are wet. I am going to listen closely to the engine, test the ABS, do figure 8 turns and listen for wheel bearings and CV noise, and if all goes to plan, I will complete the transaction on March 2nd when I get paid.

I really feel like I am onto a good one here, pending the test drive and seeing the actual carfax which i am going to ask for this morning.

If anyone has any thoughts of what else I should look for or ask about or personally check, please chime in. I am an old road warrior and car business veteran and I have owned everything from Neons to Toyotas to Explorers, so I know my way around a vehicle. This will just be my first time with a Subaru, and I have always wanted a Forester and especially like the bosy style of the 03.

Thanks and keep on truckin!

R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 06:00 AM
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: XT Sport
Transmission: 5MT
Garage
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Welcome to the forum from Niagara Falls!
Best of luck with the purchase.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 06:02 AM

Car Model: FSXT / FSTI
Transmission: 4EAT / 6 MT
Gallery: 2
Garage
Feedback Score: 60 reviews
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the soon to be new Forester.

2007 Forester STI - The Gray Goose
2007 XT Sport 4EAT - Maverick
2006 Forester XT -Sold- Blu-Blur
2010 Forester X - Sold-The Green Goblin
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 07:58 AM
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: 2.5X
Gallery: 98
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Welcome to the board.

My only concern is was the job done by a reputable dealer or a shop with Subaru experience.

We see time and time again where folks get burned on used Subaru's where (IMHO) repairs were not done correctly or only the timing belt was changed. When the timing belt is replaced the idlers, tensioner, water pump and seals should be replaced. Good luck and welcome to the board.

Be careful what you wish for.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 12:02 PM
has awakened!

Car Model: Forester Sports XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Welcome to the forum from Oregon!

Congratulations on the Forester purchase.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

'07 FSXT - COBB Surgeline dyno Protune - Stage 1+
'03 X +AVO turbo kit = XT (son's)
'95 Neon Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.