Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Real world MPG on the '14 FXT 2.0 ?

('14-'18) 
117K views 427 replies 158 participants last post by  Trainman 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm considering getting into a new '14 FXT 2.0.
The EPA rates the mpg as 23 city/ 28 hwy / combined 25.
With all the mpg mileage controversies recently, I was wondering
what kind of real world mileage folks are getting with this engine?

Thanks for your responses!

#8 ·
For once, I think the EPA estimates are pretty accurate. I've put 1k miles on mine so far and it's getting at or slightly better than 28mpg highway, and city is right around 23-24 if I don't get on it too much.

That being said, the way I like to drive I average around 18mpg's mixed.

#9 ·
I'm also very strongly considering a 2014 XT and so am also looking out for any real life mpg info.
Before seeing this thread I had noted reports of average 17.5, 19, 21 and 25-29 mpg so quite a spread.
I haven't been able to test drive an XT yet, just an N/A X Limited which actually I thought did OK. I'm hoping though that the higher torque CVT with the FA2.0DIT in the XT might not rev as high when accelerating. I'm also attracted by the bigger brakes, X mode, paddles etc. (US spec). But am somewhat outraged that the AWB isn't even available as a paid option on the US XT Premium but that's another story and covered in other threads.
Back to mpg, I was hoping that the XT might do a little better than the EPA figures or at least be closer to the NA models on the highway. Over 10% more $ for premium gas and over 12% fewer higher mpg on that gas makes for close to 25% higher gas spending on the highway which is quite a hit on a long run.
This is typically where the petrol-heads jump in to proclaim that nobody should be looking at an XT if they care about mpg but I think it's reasonable to be attracted by more power than the base model, heavier duty transmission and better braking while hoping to pay a minimum of a penalty in extra gas.
In my experience more powerful cars perform comparatively worse to others in city driving and get closer on the highway. with 23 vs 24mpg city and 28 vs 32mpg highway this seems not to be the case for the Forester.
I guess this maybe due to the turbo spooling at highway speeds/revs and less so in town but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me especially with the CVT offering good high ratios.
Otherwise while of course more powerful the FA20DIT motor has the benefits of being more recently designed (with Toyota to some degree), a smaller displacement and of course the turbo assistance. So as I say I was hoping for a closer mpg reality than EPA states. The only 1mpg loss in town is great news but the 4mpg loss on the highway less so.
Very interested and grateful to hear what mpg other XT DIT owners are getting and X N/A owners for comparison.
Thanks

#10 ·
I'm about at the end of my first, dealer-filled tankful. Overall MPG so far has been 18.9. Similarly to some posts above, I think it'll come out to about 300 miles (maybe slightly more) for the whole tank.

I did a good stretch of 40-50 miles on the freeway on the drive home from the dealer, then another 40 on the freeway this weekend running errands. In between that, a series of short city trips (5 miles here and there). Both highway and city driving has been both gentle and aggressive (still testing what the car is capable of, without going crazy in terms of the break-in).

Because of the low-ish overall MPG, I'm partially convinced the dealer might have filled my free tank with 87 octane. I'm always planning on filling the car with 91 (highest we get here). Next tank of gasoline will be more revealing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#201 · (Edited)
Accurate Comparison of Right Shoe-less Driving

You're the kind of detail-person who can help in research we should conduct. Mainly, start driving with your right shoe off whenever convenient & comfy, see if overall & over many months you do find your gas consumption does go down by the 10% I found about 40 years ago.

So I don't have a comparison with shoe control though I too have books-full of auto records. Could you begin the experiment please? Wearing velcro shoes & slip-ons or sandals will ease the transition in & out of the right foot each time. It's automatic with me. Plus I really feel the more sensitive pedals contact.
Denzil in Ottawa, Canada

#23 ·
Thanks, had a look. No 2014's (SJ) there yet and not so easy to split out XT's anyway.
I found six SH N/A XT (autos) that are reporting a combined average of average mpg at 21.9.
I'm hoping that the CVT, new engine and improved aerodynamics of the '14 will do better but early owner reports aren't generally supporting this idea.

There are quite a lot of SH N/A Foresters (last model) on fuelly with the majority reporting an average of average mpg at around 23mpg.

#24 ·
Yeah, it definitely can be difficult to discern the details in the data on fuelly. But, it is free :)

I see about the same in my 2011 N/A SH: city is about 20-21 [very hilly around me and speeds are usually 35 or under]. Hwy: 26-30mpg, I avg a bit over 28.

Now...back to your '14 SJs....

#25 ·
There are plenty of BRZs on there (fuelly) which has a very similar engine albeit in a smaller, lighter car without a turbo (and a different direct injection system).
The average of averages for the BRZ is 27.2mpg (US) so allowing for extra weight, size and the turbo then maybe an average in the low twenties is the best that we can hope for.
EPA says average 25mpg for the SJ XT (and average 27mpg for the SJ N/A) and given how achievable their numbers are the low twenties again seems to be about as good as we can hope for for mixed driving after running in.

#26 ·
First Fuel Tank Mileage Report

Howdy all,

My gas light came on last night and I refueled for the first time this morning. The computer said I still had 40 miles of fuel left, but I didn't want to chance it this early into engine break-in.

Here's the gravy:

-First tank fill-up on 03/16/2013 (dealer-supplied full tank, at time of delivery).
-Total Miles driven until fill-up: 265 miles.
-Average MPG: 18.9 (per the car's computer).
-Total amount of fuel used: 13.649 gallons (reading on pump when 2nd tank read full).

What's the fuel capacity of the SJ Forester? 15.9 gallons I believe?

Here's a few things to consider for the first tank's average MPG:

-Driving was a combination of city/highway; I'd say a 60/40 spilt.
-Being the first two weeks I've owned the car, I didn't necessarily drive it lightly (though lightly enough to not harm the break-in).
-Combination of all three SI-Drive modes (Intelligent, Sport, and Sport Sharp).
-Sat in the car with the salesman at the dealer with the engine idling for a good 30 minutes while he ran me through the operation of all the car's electronics and features. This had to have an effect on the average MPG.
-Still not 100% convinced the dealer supplied tank was premium fuel. Right now, I'm leaning towards it being 87 octane.

I filled the car up this morning with Shell V-Power 91 octane (highest grade we get here). I have a pretty short commute to work (5 miles each direction). The average for that first five miles was 22.9 MPG...and that's driving like a normal person (not babying the accelerator). That's encouraging.

I'll report again when I get deeper into this second fuel tank.

#27 ·
-First tank fill-up on 03/16/2013 (dealer-supplied full tank, at time of delivery).
-Total Miles driven until fill-up: 265 miles.
-Average MPG: 18.9 (per the car's computer).
-Total amount of fuel used: 13.649 gallons (reading on pump when 2nd tank read full).
This is dead on what I was getting in my 5MT '07 XT for daily driving. I would hit as high as 24MPG on long highway trips -- longest I've gone on a tank was around 320 miles. Sounds like your tank takes same amount to refill as mine did.

Are you enjoying the car? Is it fairly quiet on the freeway?

Stan

#28 ·
Geesh, not to hyjack but I get about 20-24 combined (75/25 city/highway) in my 2005 FXT 5spd. The only long highway trips I do involve multiple mountain passes and driving 80+ the whole time and I usually het 24ish there too. That's with bigger tires too so real mileage would be a tad higher. I'm expecting the highway mileage to go up some with the VF39 (my 05 STi would do 26ish at around 80mph highway). This is all hand calculations and no computer.

#29 ·
I'm going to have to agree with those before me.. I'm at around 400 miles on my FXT and am getting an average of 19-20mpg. Majority of my miles are CITY. When I'm on the highway, the current mpg tracker usually shows around the 28-30 range when the ground is fairly level and im cruising around 70miles an hour on "i" mode. Im sure that would drop once it's in sport mode.

As far as mpg though and going from xt to NA models, there is a HUGE difference in how the car performs (obviously which I'm sure you know). But if you can handle the mediocre power of the Na def go that route for the gas!

#32 ·
These are all fresh motors with maybe 2 or 3 tanks of fuel to their record... hardly enough to be comparing to the older Foresters.

Reminds me of the comparisons done over on the outback forum when the 2013 switched over to the new 2.5. All the guys with 2012 and older Outbacks were saying they got the same or better mileage than what was being reported by the 2013 owners. But now that the 2013s have been on the market a while, the tables are starting to turn to an equal playing field. At almost 9000 miles, my 13 has improved by 4 mpg on my highway runs (same highway, same fuel grade). Originally I was getting 26mpg on the highway... not good at all. But now I'm getting 30mpg with ease on the same run.
I expect we'll see this trend with new Foresters as well.

#34 ·
Congrats! I'm sure you can't wait to get it. I'm at 1.7k and numbers are still holding the same. I'm easily getting 24mpg mostly city, if I drive what most people consider as "normal". I forgot to mention that I have 93 octane rather than 91 here.

On a long hwy trip I averaged right at 30mpg per the computer, which was closer to 28mpg real world so I it's entirely possible to hit that number.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.