Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

The off-road mod list

303K views 205 replies 101 participants last post by  Inactive_387737 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

after reading the thread on Kevin's awesome off-road Forester and having recently purchased one that I'm intending to spend a bit of time in the dirt with I thought it might be a good idea to compile a list of the off-road mods that are avaiable for our cars, and the best order to do them in, so that those of us who are looking to kit out our cars for the dirt know where to start! I don't pretend to know a lot on the subject, so I'll start off with a few but it would be great if the more knowledgeable amongst you could add to it, and let me know if I'e got them in the right order! I've listed the mod, with it's ease of installation and approximate cost (in Aussie $) in brackets.

1: Alloy sump guard (easy DIY bolt-on, $350)
2: Transmission cooler (for autos only) (advanced DIY or minor workshop install, $150)
3: breather extensions for gearbox/diff (DIY, cheap)
4: All-terrain tyres (wide price range)
5: Centre diff lock and fan cut-of switches (intermediate DIY, <$10)
6: Strut lift ($500-$800?, int. workshop install)
7: Spring lift ($300, minor workshop install)
8: spotlights
9: Front bar ($2300)
10: Rear bar ($3500)
11: Off-road rims
10: Snorkel

Your thoughts?

See less See more
#9 ·
I was only going to stick to mods, accessories deserve a thread all of their own!

But recovery gear should definitely be high on everyone's list, I was fortunate enough to inherit a full set from my in-laws as soon as we got our Foz!

Cheers for making the thread a sticky guys, was hoping that might happen but thought it might be a bit cheeky to ask.

#23 ·
It's always the gear you don't have with you is the gear that you need. On my last 4wd outing I spent hours breaking saplings and branches and moving fallen logs and rocks to get around a fallen tree all because I didn't have a bush saw in the back. Got one now and with the blade off it sits with the spare tyre. Hopefully this will mean that I never need to use it!

#25 ·
Roof basket is nice to have
Small air compressor that runs off 12v dc
Frisbee (something to do while waiting on recovery if really stuck)
Spare air filter in case you soak yours
Spare spark plugs
Tube of dielectric grease
Basic Subaru tool kit (10,12,14,17,19 wrenches and sockets,plus extensions and a wobble,basic screwdrivers,not cheap tools either)
Tyre plug kit
Basic first aid kit (if you are like me you will need it)
Hatchet or Machete for clearing brush

#31 ·
I want to fit extended breathers on the diff/transmission.

After a quick look, I found the rear diff breather, but couldn't find the transmission breather, if there is one???

I was hoping someone would be so kind to help...

Firstly, where are extended breather lines handy?

and

Would you point me in the right direction to find the others please?

Thanks.

MY 09 XT...

#32 ·
Firstly, where are extended breather lines handy?

WATER CROSSINGS

Would you point me in the right direction to find the others please?

IF A MANUAL THERE ARE NO OTHERS (it breathes thru the front diff dip stick); IF AUTO THERE ARE 2 ON TOP OF THE "BELL HOUSING" JUST IN FRONT OF THE FIREWALL. (If '09 are the same as older models?)
Thanks.

MY 09 XT...
Hope that helps

#33 · (Edited)
Thanks Kevin..
It is a manual, so the rear is the only one I need to fit, great!

***Just did the rear diff mod...***
Found a great hole to to put the hose through into the shroud area above the fuel tank. Araldited the tube to my modified valve (now just a fitting), and siliconed the fitting into the diff, to be sure!!!

This forum is a great source of info, thanks to everyone, keep it up!

#41 ·
Just doesn't seem to make sense to me, I mean, I don't do a lot of hardcore off roading in my Subaru - I ride along in trucks for that stuff (I don't have the ground clearance for the ruts caused by 40-44" tires that some friends have..) but anything around here - including smashing through snow, running over smaller trees, or what not aren't things that would cause my stock bumpers to get destroyed - they're hard plastic, they can take quite a bit of abuse (from what I've seen.. lol..)

I understand playing with aftermarket bumpers, ground clearance for one is great - another is having a stinger for roll overs or ice/rock crawling - but the bumper I was thinking of grabbing for a Toyota I'm picking up soon is only $350.. That's marlin crawler too - so not exactly an off garbage brand..

I just don't understand why the bumper would cost 3500 dollars - even Australian dollars that's ridiculous.. I didn't even pay 3500 for my Forester :huh:

#42 ·
It's actually:

9: Front bar ($2300)
10: Rear bar ($3500)

The rear bar has the carriers on it (wheel and jerry)

There is only one manufacturer of such bars (SubaXtreme). There is another who does front bars (ECB) but until there is more volume to reduce manufacturing cost and attract real competition we have very little choice.

When you put it in perspective with a new car price, say approx $50K, and you roll it all in to a lease or financing it doesn't hurt as much! :icon_wink:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.