anyone taking 2014 offroading yet? - Page 3 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Offroad Fozzies
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #31 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: CVT
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Manual version has lower gearing

I've calculated the transmission and final drive ratios for the manual and CVT versions of the 2014 Forester, in 1st gear, the overall gearing of the manual is slightly lower than the lowest gearing of the CVT. This is due to the different final drives used. In one revolution of the driveline, the manual will travel approximately 5.7 inches, while the CVT will travel approximately 6.5 inches.
Lookout Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2013, 04:44 PM   #32 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5i Prem
Transmission: 6sp Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Ranch View Post
I've calculated the transmission and final drive ratios for the manual and CVT versions of the 2014 Forester, in 1st gear, the overall gearing of the manual is slightly lower than the lowest gearing of the CVT. This is due to the different final drives used. In one revolution of the driveline, the manual will travel approximately 5.7 inches, while the CVT will travel approximately 6.5 inches.
That's a handy bit of trivia right there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
High_Desert_Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #33 (permalink)
Admin
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Ranch View Post
I've calculated the transmission and final drive ratios for the manual and CVT versions of the 2014 Forester
From Cars101.com:

Transmission ratios
manual , 2.5i, Premium only 1st 3.454, 2nd 1.888, 3rd 1.296, 4th 0.972, 5th 0.780, 6th 0.695. R 3.686, Final 4.444:1

CVT with Low mode 3.581-0.570, R 3.667, Final 3.70:1

XT CVT with paddle shifters 3.505-0.544 R 2.345, Final 4.11:1

My Fuelly
My Journal

GeoJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #34 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

How does the CVT compare to the old 4EAT when crawling hills? Does X-Mode cut throttle when hillclimbing?
Machine1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:14 AM   #35 (permalink)
Forum Member

^I've tested it a bit and it's really good from what I could tell. The throttle response is cut very significantly, so the pedal is more "numb" feeling compared to normal and sport modes where it is much more responsive and touchier.
SuBooneru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:03 AM   #36 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Subaru Forester
Transmission: HT-CVT

I've taken my '14 FXT Touring off-roading at the beach in Assateague Island, MD. It is very soft and in many areas deep sand. I aired down my tires to 18PSI and it was fully loaded down. I have the large roof carrier which was full, 5 passengers, 110 lb dog and gear in the back too. The car drove great with absolutely no issues. The only time the traction control kicked it was when I gunned it to try and purposely loose traction. I put it in X-Mode while driving and the throttle response was basically cut in half and the gearing in the CVT was reduced. I prefer the X-Mode for smoother operation in the deep sand but it wasn't necessary. I probably didn't even need to air down my tires but I cautioned on the safe side, just in case. It was my first time in the new ride. My brother was following me in his '06 Trailblazer and he was all over the place while following me. His tires were all terrain and he had a difficult time compared to me. He also couldn't go in reverse in the sand because his 4WD power-to-wheels was allocated poorly (more power in front) but I had ZERO issues forward or reverse. Overall, I felt like I was driving on regular pavement and was confident I would not get stuck anywhere. I can't wait til winter to see how it does in snow. Hopefully we get a good amount this year. BTW it my first Subaru. The pic is of my brother in his car and me in front. It's really the only pic of me on the beach. anyone taking 2014 offroading yet?-imageuploadedbyag-free1382533383.536534.jpg

Dino123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:28 AM   #37 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Transmission: 4EAT
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

So xmode acts like a simulated low range? I'm intrigued.
Machine1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:48 AM   #38 (permalink)
Admin
Lifetime Supporting Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine1 View Post
So xmode acts like a simulated low range? I'm intrigued.
More about X-Mode

SUBARU | Forester | X-Mode

Boston Subaru Dealer | What is Subaru X Mode? | Planet Subaru Hanover Massachusetts

Quote:
Optional on the new Forester, Subaru X Mode is a software program engineered to get you up and down vertiginous terrain.
+ X-Mode uses lower gear ratios to generate extra power at the wheels that have grip;
+ X-Mode deactivates the transmission's lock-up clutch to better direct power to slipping wheels;
+ X-Mode makes the traction control system extra sensitive so that it intervenes earlier during wheel slippage;
+ X-Mode employs "Hill Descent Control" so you don't need to apply brakes and risk locking them up when headed down steep slopes.

My Fuelly
My Journal

GeoJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #39 (permalink)
Forum Member

Gallery: 2

When I went on the soft sand, where I snapped that pic<-- I was nearly empty and felt pretty nervous about getting stuck. I felt like the engine was really working hard and I wasn't really moving. Maybe the X-mode high revs/slower wheels threw me, but it's nice to know that your trip went so smoothly. I now have more confidence taking this fully loaded to Ocracoke one day, I'll still bring a shovel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino123 View Post
I've taken my '14 FXT Touring off-roading at the beach in Assateague Island, MD. It is very soft and in many areas deep sand. I aired down my tires to 18PSI and it was fully loaded down. I have the large roof carrier which was full, 5 passengers, 110 lb dog and gear in the back too. The car drove great with absolutely no issues. The only time the traction control kicked it was when I gunned it to try and purposely loose traction. I put it in X-Mode while driving and the throttle response was basically cut in half and the gearing in the CVT was reduced. I prefer the X-Mode for smoother operation in the deep sand but it wasn't necessary. I probably didn't even need to air down my tires but I cautioned on the safe side, just in case. It was my first time in the new ride. My brother was following me in his '06 Trailblazer and he was all over the place while following me. His tires were all terrain and he had a difficult time compared to me. He also couldn't go in reverse in the sand because his 4WD power-to-wheels was allocated poorly (more power in front) but I had ZERO issues forward or reverse. Overall, I felt like I was driving on regular pavement and was confident I would not get stuck anywhere. I can't wait til winter to see how it does in snow. Hopefully we get a good amount this year. BTW it my first Subaru. The pic is of my brother in his car and me in front. It's really the only pic of me on the beach. Attachment 101465

sokalled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #40 (permalink)
Forum Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Found this on You Tube. What an idiot. Hey lets take our brand new $35K forester and plung it into the muddy water.

DanPO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #41 (permalink)
Forum Member
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Model: Forester 2.0 XT
Transmission: CVT-TR690
Gallery: 6
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)

It seemed to claw its way out of that puddle as well as can be expected for having the wrong tires for those sort of shenanigans.
neall_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #42 (permalink)
Forum Member

Transmission: Automatic
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

i took my 14XT out to the desert and went on some light trails with very soft dirt/sand and it performed well. i put the MFD on the traction display and watched when my wheels were slipping; had VDC off and Xmode off. i ended up running into a trail that had some really rough terrain (large differences between high and low dirt/sand with really deep tread from previous drivers) and i just wasn't comfortable tackling it without anybody there to help me if i got high centered or stuck, plus i wanted to drive away without messing up the paint too much haha. this was my first venture out so i was pretty reserved, but the car performed very well and it was more of my skill/confidence that was the hindrance
gerkshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #43 (permalink)
Forum Member

Transmission: Automatic
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

not gonna lie, i'd probably be right there with him if i had that near me. it didn't seem anything the subaru couldn't handle, so as long as somebody is there to help him out if he gets stuck, i dont see what's wrong with it. a little dirt/mud won't hurt it. might take a little bit to clean off, but hey, gotta pay to play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPO View Post
Found this on You Tube. What an idiot. Hey lets take our brand new $35K forester and plung it into the muddy water.

Субару форестер XT 2014 Off road / subaru forester 2014 XT off road. - YouTube
gerkshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #44 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: 2014
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I took my XT for some light off-roading about two weeks ago. We had some heavy rain a few days prior and the road was extremely muddy (spent a small fortune at the car wash that night). It handled flawlessly and was way more capable than I expected. There was a guy with a grader working on the road and I thought on several instances I would get stuck and need him to pull me out. No dice! He was amazed I got in and out with no problems (although I'm not sure he realized it was a Subaru). Can't wait til winter... Bring on the snow!!
KenoraXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #45 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Touring xt
Transmission: cvt
Default cutting off the traction control?

What do you mean about cutting off the "silly traction control"? What advantage does this give you and how does it change the way the car drives? I thought it was on for just the situation you were in and on top of that the X mode made even more of a difference in terms of how the car would handle at low speeds and tough terrain. I have driven my xt in deep snow in the X mode and it worked great. Same coming down my steep driveway. So if you would take a minute and a little patience and explain how it works and which button to push (:-) and what the results are...I would greatly appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
I took my fully loaded down 2014 (basket of gear on top, family of four, and a large BEAST of a Dog) into the wilderness this past weekend...and it was a success.

My ride is fully stock, and besides the crappy tires it did very well. If you make sure to turn off the silly traction control in loose conditions it climbs dirt hills with no problem.

The logging road had a few sections of wash outs and exposed rock, but as always driving skill is a huge plus here to avoid scraping the bottom of the Forester. I was in an area that Jeeps and FJ's with lifts were going and I was getting the funniest looks, but it was a great week of camping next to the Colorado River :)
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Offroad Fozzies