Mazda CX-5 Diesel - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > The Relatives
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Pontiac Vibe AWD
Transmission: 4 speed Auto
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Mazda CX-5 Diesel

According to some reports on the internet, the Skyactiv 2.2L diesel is coming to North America either in late 2013 or early 2014. How many people who are thinking of buying the 2014 Forester would buy a CX-5 if it was available with a diesel instead of the Forester? Wish Subaru would offer buyers in North America the option to purchase a diesel version of the Forester.
X-Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: Premium awp Forester
Transmission: The one with the fun pedal
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I have spent some time with modern diesels and the new diesel coming in the Mazda6 (the 2.2 liter) sky active is an amazing little engine that is good for 280 ft. pounds of torque and @160 HP, while getting 40+ mpg on the highway. If they drop this engine into the CX-5, Mazda will have one very badass little SUV on their hands.
Jhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: XT
Transmission: AT
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I will be seriously considering one when time to replace my Forester comes. We have the CX5 diesels here already, and there are two power levels with choice of 6 speed auto or 6 speed manual. They get excellent reviews, though there was a scare about rising oil levels, and the usual worries around DPFs. Compared with the Forester diesel there is a significant bit more power and torque, plus the Forester diesel is manual only still. I have not driven one yet because when I visisted the dealership to have a look they seemed a bit short staffed, but sat in it and I would say the biggest downside for me is that it feels a size smaller than the Forester despite not being much different on paper. The cabin is a coal mine, not helped by no available sunroof (UK market, some others get one, but it's small compared with the Forester's). Smaller window area too, and tinted rear windows - my pet hate - are standard i.e. unavoidable. Also the cargo area is quite a lot smaller. On the plus side, Mazda manage to get the steering wheel central, a trick that seems to elude Subaru.

-- Steve
Old 08-18-2013, 03:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester 2.0X
Transmission: CVT

In short: NO
piccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Casper reincarnated

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: XS Forester
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahunt View Post
I will be seriously considering one when time to replace my Forester comes. We have the CX5 diesels here already, and there are two power levels with choice of 6 speed auto or 6 speed manual. They get excellent reviews, though there was a scare about rising oil levels, and the usual worries around DPFs. Compared with the Forester diesel there is a significant bit more power and torque, plus the Forester diesel is manual only still. I have not driven one yet because when I visisted the dealership to have a look they seemed a bit short staffed, but sat in it and I would say the biggest downside for me is that it feels a size smaller than the Forester despite not being much different on paper. The cabin is a coal mine, not helped by no available sunroof (UK market, some others get one, but it's small compared with the Forester's). Smaller window area too, and tinted rear windows - my pet hate - are standard i.e. unavoidable. Also the cargo area is quite a lot smaller. On the plus side, Mazda manage to get the steering wheel central, a trick that seems to elude Subaru.

-- Steve
We considered the petrol version CX5 when replacing "Casper" 2003 XS Forester, we found the the CX5 to be a lot smaller in the cargo area, the rear seat leg space was only slightly bigger (not enough to be a winner) plus the interior just didn't appeal to us and the 2.5L petrol seemed sluggish to us.

The CX5 2.2L Diesel Maxx Sport was $43,231 AUD, we could not justify the extra $7,000.00 AUD compared with the petrol version just for the option of having diesel to do 20,000 kms/year and very minimal towing.

We ended up buying a 2013 Honda CR-V VTi, the rear cargo area is a lot bigger than the Forester (03 XS), the rear seats fold down dead flat, and with 3300 kms on the clock it is already returning 8.8L/100k for the Hwy/City cycle. The Honda was $11,000 AUD cheaper than the CX5 2.2L Diesel Maxx Sport and diesel is always dearer than unleaded in Australia.

MY03 XS 5SP White/Metallic Grey "Casper"
Subyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Toyota
Transmission: Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahunt View Post

-- Steve
I'm curious as to what you mean by "getting the steering wheel central -- a trick that seems to elude Subaru." Please explain. I have little or no experience with Subaru's but am deliberating between a Forester or an Outback. If they could be coming out with a diesel, I'm gonna wait.
YoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Dan
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 12
Car Model: Premium
Transmission: 5-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccolo View Post
In short: NO
Ditto, because it still doesn't make it a Forester. Or a Subaru. Not to be a fanboy, but there are particular reasons to buy a Subaru and throwing a diesel into the CX-5 doesn't make up for the other things it doesn't have.

In other words, a diesel would be nice but it's not enough to make me ignore the other compromises in order to switch motors.

Edit: I DO sound like a fanboy. Oh well... lol
'09 OB SE, 5spd - mine
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: XT
Transmission: AT
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDoc View Post
I'm curious as to what you mean by "getting the steering wheel central -- a trick that seems to elude Subaru." Please explain. I have little or no experience with Subaru's but am deliberating between a Forester or an Outback. If they could be coming out with a diesel, I'm gonna wait.
The steering wheel on the Forester is not dead ahead of your chest, but instead offset about an inch or so toward the centerline of the car. It's not much and probably won't bother you especially if you didn't notice it in the showroom or on a test drive. It's not a dealbreaker for me at all, but I would prefer it central.

I think the Outback has it centrally located.

-- Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > The Relatives