LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Automatic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Kia Niro

Looks like there's more competition for the Foz.

Seen the new commercial with Melissa McCarthy?

I like the MPG and the looks are similar, but how about other things like a fast version, etc. and how it stands up to the Forester?

03 Forester XS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 07:12 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester Touring 2.5
Transmission: Automatic
Link for Niro

Kia Niro Reviews - Kia Niro Price, Photos, and Specs - Car and Driver

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: XS
Transmission: 4EAT
Not really a competitor to the Foz, more a competitor to the Crosstrek, maybe that's even bigger than the Niro. Check treeman's link to see what cars they're comparing them too.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 07:41 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.0 FXT-Touring
Transmission: CVT
Garage
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Kia Niro? Competition? Yea, I don't think so.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 07:55 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester
The Niro targets the Honda HRV, Mazda CX-3, Chevy Trax segment. I agree that the crosstrek is closer match than the forester. Will be interesting to see where the hybrid price lands, if it is any where near the list of the HRV/CX3 I'll expect to see quite a few of them on the road. Kia is sometimes a bit optimistic about their MPG. Wait for real world/long term testing to see how close they are to their posted numbers.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 08:40 PM
ALS
Forum Member

Transmission: cvt
Actually currently the niro is only sold fwd. So not a real competor for Subaru .
good dog likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 07:07 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: XT Premium
Garage
More a competitor to the Prius.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 02:00 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjecpa View Post
More a competitor to the Prius.

Yes. Based on personal experience with the Prius and early reviews on the Niro, I would say the Prius has a better drivetrain but a goofier persona. Niro is trying to look like a regular CUV (which I like) but has significant performance issues as a hybrid.

Neither hits the mark with me.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 02:52 PM
Forum Member

Garage
I think the Prius has more cargo room. The Niro uses a automatic transmission vs the CVT. I don't think it is going to get AWD. If I lived in a warmer climate, didn't need cargo room or went on long trips I made of drank the Prius Kool-Aid.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 06:57 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester2.5i Premium
I sat in one at the auto show last week. It's Impreza/Crosstrek sized inside and out. Very nicely finished and, I thought, very very comfortable. Nice, conservative design -- dignified, European, nothing terribly distinctive but seemed quite mature.

I liked it a lot, but if I were in the market for a hybrid it's hard to argue with Toyota's proven record of reliability and longevity.

So it's a front-drive hybrid 5-door hatch, a smidge taller than an Impreza or a Mazda 3 etc. Calling it a crossover really stretches the definition of the term.

Optioned up with driver-assist safety tech it will push $30k list.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 04:23 PM
Forum Member

Garage
I figure I will buy a hybrid for my wife this year. Probably the 2018 Camry

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 04:33 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT
My Subaru dealer actually deals in Subaru and Kia, and there was a pre-release Niro in the showroom (half of the controls were still in Korean). Looks interesting, but no FWD would be a dealbreaker in anywhere with regular snowfall.

It seems like Kia is starting to make inroads into the more borderline luxury car segment...some of their cars actually have a very upscale / premium feel to them. I don't know if I can stomach spending 35k on a Kia though...
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 06:36 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester2.5i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merek View Post
My Subaru dealer actually deals in Subaru and Kia, and there was a pre-release Niro in the showroom (half of the controls were still in Korean). Looks interesting, but no FWD would be a dealbreaker in anywhere with regular snowfall..
It really depends on what you need. Obvously we chose AWD with our Foz -- our first AWD and our first Subaru -- on purpose, and we did so because a goal of this car was enhanced safety.

But most cars are FWD, and a front drive car with appropriate tires, driven sanely, will get you through most weather. Here in the Philadelphia suburbs we've been driving tiny Toyota FWD cars (a 1981 Toyota Tercel and a 2005 Scion xB) along with a scattering of other mostly FWD cars, for four decades, and the only times we might have gotten stuck were times we ended up being snowed in anyway, told to stay home from jobs and school. The biggest challenge here has always been getting away from the front of the house; the street we live on having the worst road conditions we might encounter on our entire drives.

In the almost three years we've owned our Foz, not once have we ever actually needed the AWD. It's nice to know it's there, and if I lived in Buffalo or Aspen or Montpelier I'd probably have been driving Subarus for years, but most places it's not a real requirement for daily driving.

I still believe the current low gas prices are likely to go away, and if I were a high-mile driver looking for a car for the next 10 years I'd be looking at a hybrid. But we're now retired, and lucky to put in 15k miles per year across two cars. Indeed, thinking of ditching one of them. So the high buy-in cost of a hybrid will never pay itself back for us.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 08:00 PM
ALS
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merek View Post
My Subaru dealer actually deals in Subaru and Kia, and there was a pre-release Niro in the showroom (half of the controls were still in Korean). Looks interesting, but no FWD would be a dealbreaker in anywhere with regular snowfall..
It really depends on what you need. Obvously we chose AWD with our Foz -- our first AWD and our first Subaru -- on purpose, and we did so because a goal of this car was enhanced safety.

But most cars are FWD, and a front drive car with appropriate tires, driven sanely, will get you through most weather. Here in the Philadelphia suburbs we've been driving tiny Toyota FWD cars (a 1981 Toyota Tercel and a 2005 Scion xB) along with a scattering of other mostly FWD cars, for four decades, and the only times we might have gotten stuck were times we ended up being snowed in anyway, told to stay home from jobs and school. The biggest challenge here has always been getting away from the front of the house; the street we live on having the worst road conditions we might encounter on our entire drives.

In the almost three years we've owned our Foz, not once have we ever actually needed the AWD. It's nice to know it's there, and if I lived in Buffalo or Aspen or Montpelier I'd probably have been driving Subarus for years, but most places it's not a real requirement for daily driving.

I still believe the current low gas prices are likely to go away, and if I were a high-mile driver looking for a car for the next 10 years I'd be looking at a hybrid. But we're now retired, and lucky to put in 15k miles per year across two cars. Indeed, thinking of ditching one of them. So the high buy-in cost of a hybrid will never pay itself back for us.
Yes, Fwd autos are fine for people that wait at home until the streets are plowed.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:12 AM
Forum Member

Garage
Another hybrid I would like but could not afford.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > The Relatives

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode