Brake Concerns (2006 Chevrolet Equinox) - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Car Year: 1985
Car Model: GL SE Wagon 4WD
Brake Concerns (2006 Chevrolet Equinox)

ok so i secretly own nd drive a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox SUV as a daily driver. lately wen i brake as to stop 4 a traffic lite or stop sign the steering wheel shakes and sum times the the vibration is felt by the passengers. can any of u guys clue me in as to wat it might be before i drive it to the shop 4 a brake inspection.

1985 Subaru GL SE 4WD Wagon
86 GL-10 Turbo Wagon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:00 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: VW GTI
Transmission: 6 MT
First possibility, it could be brake pad material deposited on your rotors. You can try re-bedding your pads/rotors as a first step to avoid spending any money (search for how-to).

Second, could be your rotors warped, although most people these days say that's extremely unlikely (more likely to be prob # 1 mentioned above). You could have the rotors turned and new pads, though new rotors might only cost a few bucks more so might as well do that rather than turning them and having the problem come back shortly.

Finally, you could have a caliper piston, slide pin, etc. seizing and causing the warped rotors. Happened recently on our Honda Odyssey (of course, it has 135k miles on it). Uneven pad wear (one side more than the other on the same wheel, or when comparing right to left wheel pads) would be a sure sign, but mine didn't appear that uneven. I just realized when compressing the caliper piston that it was about impossible to move = seizing.

EDIT:

Actually, some other possible causes:

1. If your lug nuts are not torqued properly (shoud be cross pattern using a proper torque wrench - NOT an air wrench by the tire monkey) it could cause this feeling or cause the rotors to be warped.

2. Rare chance it could be the wheels are warped. Happend on my 99 Foz with around 135k miles on it. Long story short, I narrowed it down to the steel OEM steel wheels when I put them back on after a year of no problems and the vibration/shimmy/warped feeling came back within a week. Warped wheels were causing problems on the rotors.

With it being such a new car, you can probably assume it's not a lot of these, but it's always good to check over everything. It's when you have recurring problems that you want to start looking at the calipers, slide pins, wheels, etc. as the root culprit.

P.S.S. Search on here for warped rotors, shaking steering wheel, and other related terms and I bet you'll find plenty of threads and advice / experience. Good luck!

95 Legacy
99 Foz
04 Foz XT

11 VW GTI + 13 FJC

Last edited by problemcat13; 01-27-2009 at 10:14 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:18 PM
Forum Member

I highly enjoy doing brake work myself so I can check all these things out and avoid paying someone else $$$ for a few hours worth of work. I'd suggest you do the same; however, I've ran into unexpected problems doing brake work on previous cars (non-subies) so you've got to consider your comfort level.

Think caliper slide pin breaking off in the caliper. The night before an anniversary trip. And the local auto parts place doesn't have the slide pin for a 96 Saturn, just a 95.

95 Legacy
99 Foz
04 Foz XT

11 VW GTI + 13 FJC
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 06:02 AM
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: XT Sport
Transmission: 5MT
Garage
Hmm, I think the easiest solution is the get rid of it for a Forester...
Hahaha, kidding.

The above posts have pretty much summed up what it could be.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 06:45 AM

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Outback XT-B
Transmission: 5MT
When and where was the vehicle last serviced?

09 SWP Outback 2.5XT 5MT 263whp, 337 lb-ft
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAC5.2 View Post
When and where was the vehicle last serviced?
i just got this truck in november 2008. i already took it to Les Schwab Tire and Brake center for one of those free brake inspections and they told me that the truck was fine dat it actually had new pads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderotomy View Post
Hmm, I think the easiest solution is the get rid of it for a Forester...Hahaha, kidding.

The above posts have pretty much summed up what it could be.
psh as soon as i get the chance i will. i hecka want a Forester.

86 GL-10 Turbo Wagon
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

update

ok so i got my brakes thoroghly inspected 2day and it just so happens that my rotors are warped

86 GL-10 Turbo Wagon
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 06:33 PM

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
ok so i secretly own nd drive a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox SUV as a daily driver. lately wen i brake as to stop 4 a traffic lite or stop sign the steering wheel shakes and sum times the the vibration is felt by the passengers. can any of u guys clue me in as to wat it might be before i drive it to the shop 4 a brake inspection.
We drove a chevy van like that. The brakes would heat up and warp. I'd say go buy some better pads and rotors.

Red Baron - 2004 Forester X
STOCK! Fornever
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 07:41 PM
Forum Member

That's a good point. Ask what brand and model of pads/rotors they're going to use at the shop or bring your own based on your own research. Years ago, when I used to shop for the cheapest shop, I would also end up with the cheapest pads which would EASILY overheat. You don't have to go high-end, but avoid the bargain pads

95 Legacy
99 Foz
04 Foz XT

11 VW GTI + 13 FJC
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

yeah i actually spoke directly to the mechanic doing the inspection and he said that it looks like the previous owner did the pads but didnt turn the rotors or got them refinished. the quoted me $145 for the rotors installation included in price. i would do the work myself because since its got ABS im a lil skeptical on doing the work cuz im not to familiar with the ABS "hardware". i just know its job thats it.

86 GL-10 Turbo Wagon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > The Relatives

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.