LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2002
Car Model: WRX
Transmission: 5 Speed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2013 XV Crosstrek Grinding/Stall on startup

I know that the engine/trans combo is not the same as any of the Foresters, but thought I would post here for some advice since there are many more members here than on any of the XV forums.

What happens, is that on a cold start (car has been sitting overnight), I turn the key, it starts, then about half a second later this loud thunk and grinding sound happens (only lasts for a second or so), the RPMs drop significantly, then everything returns to normal. Usually.

I had this happen once a couple of months ago, but it caught me off guard and I didn't exactly realize what happened. This past couple of weeks, it has done it almost everyday. Once when the thunk/grinding happened it caused the engine to stall and I was unable to restart, until I tried 15 minutes later or so. There is no check engine light on. I changed my own oil last Friday, don't think this has anything to do with it, but thought I'd mention it. This problem started before the oil change and has continued after.

Also, sometimes when sitting at a stoplight a few minutes after start up (there is one by my apartment that I have sat at for up to 5 minutes) it feels as though the engine is stumbling or misfiring. I have not noticed any drop in RPM when it happens, but it can be felt throughout the car. It was occurring every 15 seconds or so (even tried shifting CVT into neutral to see if that was related, but did not change) then did not seem to do it for the rest of my journey.

Planning on taking it to Subaru when I can schedule the fiance to pick me up (probably going to have to leave it overnight so they can start it in the morning, otherwise it probably won't thunk/grind).

I have taken a couple of videos with my phone (didn't catch the one where it stalled the car), let me know if you have any ideas of what this could be. Make sure your volume is up.

Videos were taken on two separate days. First one was yesterday, second was today.

XV Problem - YouTube

XV Problem Vid 2 - YouTube

Thank you,
Dustin

Farmers Insurance
Carson City, NV
775-843-6010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 03:02 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: 2.0 FXT-Touring
Transmission: CVT
Garage
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Wow, very interested in what the dealer says this is. I'll keeps my eyes open for your update.

Other than this issue, how do you like the Crosstrek XV?

I know nothing.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 08:36 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester 2.5X
At first I thought you were stepping on the gas pedal and revving it up, but I see it's doing this 'split stage" or 2 stage cold idle by itself. Mine just goes to high idle and then settles down.....although not a Crosstek.
Here is my wild guess... something in the transmission... coming unlocked .. like a torque convertor freeing itself after sitting all night....?
I saying that because we used to have to free-up clutches on older British motorcycles before starting, that sat for a while... the clutch plates stuck together.
That is my wild guess... have at it!

TrailAngel
2010 2.5X 5MT

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasarog View Post
Wow, very interested in what the dealer says this is. I'll keeps my eyes open for your update.

Other than this issue, how do you like the Crosstrek XV?
I really like it. Getting about 7MPG better than I did with my Forester (2011 Auto), but miss the extra space I had in the Foz (especially under the rear floor). The 2.0L is kinda weak, but does just fine with the CVT, can't imagine what it would be like with a 4 speed from the Foresters.

Hopefully I can take it in this coming week and will post updates as I find out information.

Farmers Insurance
Carson City, NV
775-843-6010
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailangel View Post
At first I thought you were stepping on the gas pedal and revving it up, but I see it's doing this 'split stage" or 2 stage cold idle by itself. Mine just goes to high idle and then settles down.....although not a Crosstek.
Here is my wild guess... something in the transmission... coming unlocked .. like a torque convertor freeing itself after sitting all night....?
I saying that because we used to have to free-up clutches on older British motorcycles before starting, that sat for a while... the clutch plates stuck together.
That is my wild guess... have at it!
I don't remember what my Forester did on startup, but I know it never had this clunk/grinding and never stalled on me. Only had my foot on the brake, didn't touch the gas at all. Haven't heard anything on the Crosstrek forum about similar issues, so if it is a problem with the torque converter (I'm pretty sure the CVT has one), it doesn't seem to be widespread. I wonder if anyone with a CVT Forester has had similar experiences.

Thanks for the ideas, I will see what the dealer says and see if they can check the torque converter if they can't think of anything else.

Farmers Insurance
Carson City, NV
775-843-6010
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Dropped the XV off at the dealer earlier today. They are going to try and see if they can duplicate the problem in the next couple of days. Will post updates as I get information.

Farmers Insurance
Carson City, NV
775-843-6010
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 03:03 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester 2.5X
What was it?

TrailAngel
2010 2.5X 5MT
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailangel View Post
What was it?
Didn't actually get to find out what it was. Posting update in just a minute.

Farmers Insurance
Carson City, NV
775-843-6010
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Update:

Had to pick up the XV from the dealer before they were able to replicate the problem because my fiance's car decided to not work at all. Since I got it back, I haven't had any problems with it and neither has my fiance, but I'm keeping an eye on it and if it starts back up, I'll take it back to the dealer. That is assuming our other car is working.

Farmers Insurance
Carson City, NV
775-843-6010
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Update:

My fiance's car was towed to the shop last night, because they said they wouldn't have a chance to look at it until this morning and didn't want it sitting there all weekend. (Especially because it keeps rolling its own windows down )

So, this morning she heads out to my car to go to school, and it won't start. I told her to wait 15-20 minutes (this seemed to work before when the grinding/thunk caused it to stall), but it still wouldn't start. She says that it didn't make any sound at all. No thunk, no grinding, no starter engaging at all. After trying on and off for several hours, I decided just to call Subaru roadside assistance and have it towed. It's on the way to the dealer as I type this.

Also, just hit 4500 miles. Really annoying/upsetting.

How is everyone else's day going?

Farmers Insurance
Carson City, NV
775-843-6010
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 05:02 PM
Forum Member

Garage
Damn, that sucks. Still curious as to what it is. We are going back and forth between a CTxv and an O.

I know nothing.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Got the Crosstrek back this after noon and so far everything is good. :)

This is what my invoice from Subaru says:
"Found that fuse 21 inside of the car for the starter had an open circuit. Removed lower panels and moved harness. Removed fuse block and relay holder and inspected for wire shorted to ground for starter signal. Found that harness had rubbed against body seam and shorted with a blue tracer connector. Repaired and retaped. Replaced fuse and test drove. Now operating properly."

I'm glad they found the problem, but it's kinda unnerving that there was a short in my car. Lucky it didn't cause something worse or a fire.

On another note, the tow truck driver hooked hooks to my wheels and they are now scrapped/gouged. Will be calling them in the next couple of days.

Farmers Insurance
Carson City, NV
775-843-6010
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Update:

So, late yesterday, the Crosstrek felt a bit funny when driving it around. It was taking several seconds from when the gas pedal was pressed to do anything. I figured this was due to the battery being disconnected while in the shop and is probably the computers just getting reacquainted with each other.

I was also still used to the rental (which felt like a race car with it's 283hp V6,) so I wasn't really worried.

This morning we get a call that my fiance's car is ready to be picked up. Drive with her across town and pick hers up. On the highway home the Crosstrek is feeling even weirder, we were almost home, but decided to get off the major highway and take a backroad for the last couple of miles. (If I got stuck and someone plows into me, I'd much rather it be at 35mph than 70mph.) On the backroad, the ABS light comes on, VDC light, and hill start assist light. About 3 seconds later the AT Oil Temp light and Check Engine light come on and I lose almost all power. The section of road we were on had a blind corner and no where to pull off. I had to press the gas pedal about half way down to even get it to move a few mph and go the few hundred feet to the nearest road.

Parked it there and called Subaru Roadside Assistance to have it towed back to the dealer. It would start but not shift out of park.

Not a happy camper right now.

Will post updates when I know more.

(Note: This tow truck driver had no problem finding places to tie down the car from below.)

Farmers Insurance
Carson City, NV
775-843-6010
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 03:23 AM
Forum Member

Garage
Damn, the story continues. Time to file a complaint, no?

I know nothing.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasarog View Post
Damn, the story continues. Time to file a complaint, no?
I'm not really sure who I would/could file a complaint with. Though the thought has crossed my mind.

Farmers Insurance
Carson City, NV
775-843-6010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > The Relatives

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode