Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

4EAT - Power Brake Launch Hitting Rev Limiter

15K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  x05 
#1 ·
I notice that when I power brake/launch that the engine hits the rev limiter before the 4EAT shifts into second gear. I have only "launched" this way once but with a trip to the strip scheduled for tomorrow evening, I'm hoping to get some feedback on the best way to overcome this. If I hammer it from a roll, there is no shifting issues.

My first thought is to launch as described above and as the tach crosses 6k RPM, do a quick off-blip of the throttle and see if that induces the shift.

The other thought is to launch in first and manually shift - though I'm not sure that will solve the problem.

Or, I could just roll out and then nail it, though my ET will no doubt suffer.

If I could get some insight on this before beating on my car any further, it would be appreciated!

#2 ·
Jim, I have the same issues. The harder the launch, the more it delays on the 1-2 shift. Same results for rolling into it. While I dont think its normal, I will say mine has done the same exact thing.

I have also tried manually shifting it at 5k, with no improved results. My best time of 12.97 could have been down in the 12.8 or even 12.7's with a solid 1-2 shift. I have a trans cooler but im thinking the tcu needs programmed, which their is no programmer for them. So basically, after rambling, yea, mine does the same and I just roll with it(hard outta the hole)

#9 ·
Lifting off will get it to upshift. I'd launch in 1st as that will give you full MPT lockup. However, you have to shift quite a bit before you actually want the shift to occur. 1st and 2nd are just too close it seems. I really wish all 4eat equipped FXTs got the VTD center diff, the longer I have the car the more I hate the MPT setup. My mpt seems to be wearing out from all the 2nd gear snow drifting I've done the past few years.

#4 ·
I've had the same issue multiple times. Even with my built trans. However after my last rebuild by IPT i have not experienced the problem... However i haven't launched it much since the last rebuild...

#5 ·
Jim, I really cant answer that. Im a hold it to the wood guy and I dont lift(unless their are problems.

My tip for the day.

Bring the following

Note pad.
Tire pressure gauge
Cheapo $10 walmart pressure sprayer(like for stain or bug stuff)

Keep an eye on tire pressure. Record it, also record what your times are and how the car ran and when it shifted after every run.

Use the new clean sprayer to help cool the car between runs, and even sit a bag of ice on the tmic and intake manifold.

#6 ·
I have the built IPT Trans and have never hit the rev limiter shifting manually. Only time it has happened was due to driver error. I've never ran the car in either "3" or "D" at the track so I can't say if that makes a difference though.

However I did just do the MultiPlate Transfer Clutch Lock-Up Switch today. I plan to test it at the track soon. Hopefully get my launches down from 2 to 1.7 with it.

#15 ·
I'm thinking it's due to the higher horsepower you guys are running. I've launched mine a few times, and it just goes to redline and shifts fine. You guys are running a lot of extra power, and running throughout the RPM range at a much higher rate of speed than stock. I'm thinking this could possibly be, in a word, "confusing" the system a bit as it gets to redline a hell of a lot faster than stock would. This, of course, is just a guess, but it seems that everyone having the issue all have high-horsepower modifications. Just a thought.

#18 ·
Just curious has anyone tried launching in 2? It makes it start out in 2nd instead of 1st and if you have a tranny cooler the torque converter could probably handle it. Not sure if newer 4eats are like this, but in the older 4eat service manual it mentions that the TC locks up in all gears except 1st. I tried it yesterday and it just pulled smoothly from a stop by going WOT instead of the confused action that it normally does when launching it.

#19 ·
Did any of you guys ever solve this issue? I'm getting it probably 30-50% of the time if I do a flat foot launch from a stop. I've not even had to brake boost to make it happen. Quite annoying, but i'm wondering if anyone has discovered any tricks other than lifting a bit before the shift to force it to shift early. I feel like a valve body would help with this issue by allowing the transmission to react faster, but I am not positive as I cannot find a consistent answer from someone who has had this issue.

#20 · (Edited)
Since there are very few (meaning practically nobody) that can access/modify the TCU, I’m going to investigate developing some tuning techniques to mitigate or reduce this behavior.

No promises, but if any of you are set up to self-tune via OS tools, we can collaborate. I have some shakedown items to work through before I get to this, but it’s on my to-do list.

Come to think of it, it’s rather surprising that nobody has ever come out with a TCU piggyback that changes sensor voltage to induce higher shift points, max. RPM, quicker shifts, etc. I digress. Until then, better fluids and tranny coolers are about it unless you want to crack it open. A hardened 5EAT would be nice...

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.