Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Unlocking the door with key triggers car alarm

56K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Josea 
#1 ·
We have a 2010 bare bone Forester. If we unlock the doors per remote everything works well. If we unlock with the actual key in the door, most of the time the car alarm is triggered and has to be reset with the panic button of the remote. Are we doing something wrong? Is this a more common defect? How is the key transmitting the code?

Thanks, Patrick

#7 · (Edited)
IFAIK, if you exit the vehicle, close the door & use your key to lock the door, the security system would not be armed. Not sure why you'd want to lock your vehicle & not want the security system armed? :confused:

You can arm the security system without the fob, by locking the doors with the door switch as you exit. When the door is closed, the security system will be armed. :smile:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

#9 ·
This info helped a lot - And I got it now why the Forester's alarm acts so "irradically"... ;-)

I am not the main driver of this car and I was not planing on having FOB and key on my key chain. I thought I could get by with just the key as with my wifes old Mazda ( ... and I guess I still could if I am willing to disarm the alarm by sticking the key in the ignition lock...)

Thanks, Patrick

#10 · (Edited)
I like the idea of a keyless entry & of course the security system, but I hate the bulkiness of the fob! :frown: My son & I keep just the ignition key with the fob & our other keys on another ring. That way we can place the fob + key in a separate pocket. This protects the fob, since it can be positioned so the one key doesn't scrape it up. :smile:

Bobby...

#11 ·
One can always lock the doors as follows: use the electric doors-lock button on the door to lock all the doors while inside the car, then unlock the driver's door with the manual door lock on the door, exit the car, lock the door with the same manual door-lock, and close the door. All the doors are now locked. When one comes back, use the key to open the door, and the alarm doesn't sound.

#12 ·
I have a 2001 forester and never had to use the remote to lock the doors until a week ago. I had always used the electric button to lock the doors and unlock the driver side door using the key for 10 years. Last week when I did it, the alarm went off. I had no idea what happened. Now, I have to lock and unlock the doors with remote otherwise the alarm will sound. Does anyone know how this could suddenly change?

#18 · (Edited)
Zombie Thread revival ISSUE solved
I had no idea what happened. Now, I have to lock and unlock the doors with remote otherwise the alarm will sound. Does anyone know how this could suddenly change?
I have been waking my neighbors for the last month because of this exact situation. To try to fix it I have put a new battery in the FOB for my 2005 Forester. I have no optional alarm equipment. My dealer said I need to bring it in (and I do not trust them). I pray someone can tell me how to fix this. I was able to open the drivers door with the key and no flashing lights or horn blaring happened. TIA, Josea

This turned out to be a key issue, if you lock the door with the chipped key, then unlock there is no alarm. If you lock with fob then open with the key the alarm sounds... so I & my neighbors are happy!

#13 ·
I see this is your first forum post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

It sounds like your security system is operating normally in "passive arming mode". Meaning when the doors are locked using the electric lock as you exit, when the doors is closed, the security system is armed. Did you recently have your Forester serviced? :confused:

On our '03 there's a white connector that needs to be plugged together to activate this option. I'm not sure if your '01 is the same, but it's well documented in or '03 owner's manual. :wink:

Bobby...

#14 ·
This is very interesting since my 03 doesn't sound when I unlock the door via the key no matter what, but my wife's tribeca will sound the alarm if I use my key to unlock it, but not if I use her key with integrated fob. Both remotes work normally both keys work the ignition, by mine is the only one that sets the alarm off. Quirk of the system I suppose.

#15 ·
Do you have optional security system upgrade in your '03? Our '03 X didn't come with it installed, just the keyless entry, so we had to add it.

See 2-17 in your Owner's Manual for the details on "Passive Arming". It explains how to enable or deactivate this feature. :wink:

Bobby...

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.