Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

New 95 Rated Petrol...

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  mitasol 
#1 ·
After trying all the local Sunshine Coast servos for Premium petrol (MY'06 XT) only to get "out of service" signs (what's going on?!!!) I found the last one (Matilda) has a new 95 petrol with Ethanol and bought $20 worth to try. so far so good.:shrug:
I remember the controversy when Ethanol-added petrol came out and it turned out our XT's didn't like it and Subaru didn't recommend it either. Seems the actual energy released is much lower with ethanol in spite of the RON rating.
Anyone have answers for this please?:icon_confused:

#2 ·
I've tried to avoid using ethanol added fuel and try to stick to 98RON (usually Caltex but only because that is the most convenient) but the last 3 fills have had to be 95 ethanol and I have not been able to tell the difference in performance or economy. I'm still determined not to use it unless there is no other choice.

#3 ·
Good to know there's no performance let-down noticed.
I've been reading elsewhere that XT's are tuned to 95 RON and there's no advantage to going to higher rated fuel. That's been my experience too. (If your car is re-tuned to 98 RON it would then be different, of course)
Dicknose went to some length in the past to explain that ethanol has a lower energy release and burning rate than petrol,:yell: so the RON rating was not particularly accurate - maybe things have moved on? :shrug:
Is this to be a permanent change to Premium rated petrol I wonder?:icon_rolleyes:

#4 ·
[RANT]
All I have to say on the subject of ethanol is "GO WELL........ GO ELSEWHERE"
Shell has lost my custom. I refuse to put ethanol in any car, especially after the Federal Government went to a lot of trouble to get Car Manufacturers to "publicly advertise" that ethanol is compatible with all new cars. (Reminds me of the LRP fiasco)

Gotta prop up a new industry somehow.
[/RANT]

Regards,
Craig.

#6 ·
The ethanol allows more timing advance, but less actual energy is released by burning it. It can be great in a turbo vehicle if tuned, but otherwise it just generally gives you worse mileage. If its less than 10% ethanol however it won't make much of a difference (almost all "petrol" in NY is 10%ethanol now, impossible to find it without as everyone loves to grow corn here).

#8 ·
A lot seems to do with what Subaru tunes the engine to take. Here it's 95 RON and that is what reports ( and my experience ) say works best, so the issue is somewhat clouded when you come up with Ethanol 95 petrol (10% mix) now seemingly replacing the 95 RON pure. At 96c Litre it is about 10c Litre cheaper (about 10% interestingly) but I'd still rather use 95 straight petrol if I can find it.
If not , it would be good to be reassured 95 Ethanol mix is fine for long-term use. :icon_rolleyes:

#9 ·
From the horses mouth!

Q: Can I use ethanol blended fuel in my Subaru?

A:

All Subaru Impreza, Forester, Liberty, Outback and Tribeca vehicles produced after model year (MY) 1990 with the exception of Liberty B4, Liberty GT 2.0 and the Impreza WRX STI 99MY to 05MY are able to operate on a maximum of 10% Ethanol Blend (E10).

All Model Year Liberty B4, Liberty GT 2.0 and Impreza WRX STI 99MY to 05MY models may experience starting and / or driveability concerns if Ethanol Blended fuel of any level is used and therefore we do not recommend use.

The 06MY and 07MY Impreza WRX STI are able to operate on Ethanol Blended fuel up to a maximum of 10% Ethanol (E10).

The 07MY Liberty GT 2.5 can operate on ethanol blended fuel up to a maximum of 10% Ethanol (E10).

For all other Subaru vehicles including but not limited to ‘L’ Series and Brumby FHI has no test data for these vehicles when operating on Ethanol and therefore we cannot recommend its use.

Important

Because FHI has no test data on Ethanol blends greater than 10% we do NOT recommend using fuel containing greater than 10% Ethanol. Ethanol blends greater than 10% may cause driveability problems and / or operating system component parts failure such as:

• Fuel line (hose, injector-sealing, delivery pipe, pump, regulator)
• Exhaust (catalytic converter, EGR, Muffler)

Failures and or drivability issues caused by greater than 10% ethanol use and or fuel not meeting the minimum standard prescribed in the owners handbook will not be covered by warranty.

FAQs - Subaru Australia

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.