Subaru Forester Owners Forum - View Single Post - ('98-'00) 1999 Forester L power and electrical issues and resolution
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
mwhybark
Forum Member

Car Year: 1999
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Auto
However

I'm happy with the resolution here and feel that Scanwest did great. They also replaced the shifter bulb for parts only, no labor; performed the diagnosis for free; and did this as a walkin overnight. so, great job.

The only thing I'm still puzzling over is this: ever since we bought the car at 70k, the transmission has always been hesitant to engage. As the car aged, it became even slower to engage, and developed a notable, distinct 'CLUNK' as the gearing set.

Now with the new alternator, the transmission's hesitation HAS VANISHED. No hesitation. No 'CLUNK'. The transmission operates as, I guess, automatic transmissions are supposed to operate, although as this is my first non-stick, I actually don't know what to expect.

So here's my question: how can changing the alternator have affected the performance of a mechanical part like that? Does the alternator play a documented part in the transmission? If so, why on earth didn't a single experienced Subaru mechanic notice that issue and observe that the alternator might be the issue?

If it's not the case that the alternator has a known role in transmission performance, should I ask the shop if they went above and beyond and turned a bolt or something in the transmission along the way? It's definitely not on the statement I have in hand. Anyway, I'm definitely not complaining, just pleased and mystified.

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome