Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1998 - Rear door won't open?

('98-'00) 
9K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  PierreBonny 
#1 ·
I removed the inner driver's side rear door panel to install some speakers, and when I restored it, I managed to dislodge the rod that locks/unlocks the door from the handle latch, and it was in the lock position when I closed the door and realized I can't open it now everything is reassembled. I also managed to forget to reconnect the the electrical connector harness that provides power to the windows and locks, so that doesn't work either. I'm a bit of a klutz. Could a locksmith get the door open with a slim-jim or something? Something that would work on the rod inside the door, as opposed to going through the window edge/weather stripping (coat hanger method) to push the lock open (won't work obviously since it doesn't function right now)? Is there a way to get the inner panel back off with the door closed? What are my options? Many thanks

#2 ·
Slim jims and the like only unlock doors, not open them. They also generally use a tool to grab that rod to unlock it. Is the inner panel installed now? If so, you may have to destroy it to get to the mechanism. There are a couple of part-outs going on here right now. That may be a good way to source a new inner panel for cheap. I don't think a locksmith will be much help.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.