Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Forester XT Subwoofer possibility...

('06-'08) 
25K views 40 replies 11 participants last post by  x05 
#1 ·
I think I saw that the stock sub in the XT's is a 6x9"??? Please correct me if I'm wrong.. I saw this and wanted to share.. A good potential upgrade if you wanted to stick with the 6x9 size... I'm also no expert on reading subwoofer specs, but it looks like it might be a decent upgrade from stock with a smaller single channel amp maybe. Possibly a good mid-bass to fit that slot, combined with a 10 or 12" in a sealed box for a full-blown system.

Specifications: Power Handling: 90 watts RMS/170 watts max *VCdia: 1-1/2" *Impedance: 8 ohms *Re: 6.5 ohms *Frequency range: 35-350 Hz *Fs: 35 Hz *SPL: 87 dB 2.83V/1m *Vas: 1.34 cu.ft. *Qms: 6.05 *Qes: .37 *Qts: .35 *Xmax 7mm *Dimensions: A: 6-1/2" x 9-1/4", C: 4-3/16"

Anyway, just wanted to share...

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-837

See less See more
#3 ·
Ah yes.. That's where I saw the modded coax speaker.

So the only thing about the above tang band woofer is the impedence.. would have to throw an amp at it that can perform well at that higher impedence level... I did also see this one that specs out at 4ohms that might be a better option:

Specifications: Power Handling: 80 watts RMS/160 watts max *VCdia: 3" *Impedance: 4 ohms *Re: 3.2 ohms *Frequency range: 40-350 Hz *Fs: 40 Hz *SPL: 88 dB 2.83V/1m *Vas: 1.65 cu. ft. *Qms: 2.29 *Qes: .28 *Qts: .25 *Xmax 5.5 mm *Dimensions: A: 6-1/2" x 9-1/4", C: 2-3/16".

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-864

#10 ·
Ah yes.. That's where I saw the modded coax speaker.

So the only thing about the above tang band woofer is the impedence.. would have to throw an amp at it that can perform well at that higher impedence level... I did also see this one that specs out at 4ohms that might be a better option:

Specifications: Power Handling: 80 watts RMS/160 watts max *VCdia: 3" *Impedance: 4 ohms *Re: 3.2 ohms *Frequency range: 40-350 Hz *Fs: 40 Hz *SPL: 88 dB 2.83V/1m *Vas: 1.65 cu. ft. *Qms: 2.29 *Qes: .28 *Qts: .25 *Xmax 5.5 mm *Dimensions: A: 6-1/2" x 9-1/4", C: 2-3/16".

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-864

I tried that sub with an amp and it sounded like crap (could have been a bad speaker). I eventually went with a sub in the spare tire.

#5 ·
Since the OEM "sub amp" puts out about 18w RMS @2 ohm, a 4 ohm speaker will recieve about 1/2 that. The performance might not be very good, which will lead to bumping the bass up to compensate which leads to distortion and destruction of the speaker.

I think a hi-low converter and a small 50w amp would work wonders with a replacement 6x9.

#6 ·
Yeah.. on the stock head unit, these subs wouldn't be ideal at all.. I was thinking something like one of these 6x9s might work with a sub amp in a pinch for a stock looking setup utilizing the existing sub mount with an aftermarket head unit with preouts.

I'm eventually ebaying the head unit, going completely aftermarket with a head unit, amps, and component speakers.

#16 ·
that should be fine. Since it's larger than an 8", it will end up being mounted lower, so you will gain a little bit more mounting depth(the depth increases towards the bottom of the cavity).

I say go for it, you'll get so much more umph. Just do a good job at guesstimating the enclosures volume.

#20 ·
Got a friend with a set of mb quart components that would go nicely upfront as well.. Though I just bought the car and the budget is BLOWN (ouch), I'm getting some designs together for a decent system.. It'll take me some time to accumulate gear. Considering some pretty efficient amps such as the ICEpower amps on the market now as I'm hearing the alternator on these cars isn't necessarily a beast. As the technology is ever-changing with head units, that will probably be the last part.. Something with excellent dac's, time alignment, Ipod control and bluetooth. Probably just a really good 2.1 setup, as I don't much see the benefit of the rear door speakers unless there are some pretty decent mid-bass drivers that will fit those rear doors.

On the shallow mount subs... JL Audio is also getting into it....

.63 cubic recommended space, 2.5 inch mounting depth.. BUT, looks like only a 12 is offered...
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/jlaudio_pages.php?page_id=213

#22 ·
Yeah the excursion may be a problem.. might get away with a trim ring as a spacer depending on the sub to hold the panel/grill at some distance away from the sub.. Though just going by memory.. might not have any free play with the panel placement if it's a pretty tight fit.

#24 ·
That is a good point... might do well just to bite the bullet with an external box... maybe build something inconspicuously molded into that side area, like a q-logic or JL or similar.

#25 ·
The stock location is a good spot, you just need to do it right is all. I have zero rattles with mine and the bass response is very smooth and clean. With the right song it is powerful enough to make your skin tingle and the hairs on your neck to stand up.

If you want some monster kick you in the stomach bass you'll need to go a different route, but if you are looking to add some decent lowend to your system and keep it stealthy then it is a good location.

#28 ·
Yeah I saw that.. Neat idea if it works well.. Interesting idea to use the spare tire as a pseudo-sealed enclosure.

.. Cargo tray in the back of mine though.. plus the foam cargo bin under the carpet (I'll have to take another look at.. only seen it in a quick glance in the showroom).

From what I'm reading though.. Looks like the "oem location", I'll call it, will potentially accommodate a 10" if: 1. you're inventive to get enough enclosure volume, 2. it doesn't rattle against the inside trim and 3. enough mounting depth. Enough foam, mdf and raamatt and it should be pretty rattle-free I'd think.

#29 ·
if you want to keep it light, powerful and to the point, the Raam sub enclosure fits neatly under the passenger seat with minor mods. It features a high SQ Arc sub in 10" diameter. This is being powered (along with the AMAZING CDT separates) by an Alpine digital PDX4150 four channel that simply doen't get hot, doesn't suck amperage and fits easily under the driver's seat.

The trick here is convincing Rick at Raam in making you one.

While I agree with Sea on making the stock sub location work well, I just don;t have the skills or patience to do that with that location. The slightest rattle with a 10 tucked in the back can be easily localized since most of these have to be low passed at a pretty high Hz reading. The underseat sub is up front, so it can play up pretty high without being localized. Plus, the way Rick designed the box, it simply doesn't rattle.

And here's my suggestion for what could possibly be the ultimate in stealth, efficient and crankin' forester audio systems:

- one Alpine PDX 4x150 delivering 250 watts to each of your high sq components
- one PDX 1x1000 feeding mega juice into...
- this sub http://www.criticalmassaudio.com/catalog/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=2
- stuffed in a Raam box...hopefully reinforced for the 1000 watts of butt rumble for the passenger.

the beauty is that the PDX 1000 will fit right on top (they are designed to be stacked) of the pdx 4150, AND fit under the drivers seat....or even next to it. 1500 under the seat (and Alpine's ratings are musical power too, as tested by Car Audio, etc.) is the madness...

just a suggestion that I hope someone explores :Banane28:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.