Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

The Auxiliary Lighting Thread

(All Years) 
591K views 747 replies 276 participants last post by  Houn1620 
#1 ·
I blatantly stole the idea from Rapid_Roo's ongoing thread on NASIOC because I think we need one of our own. :wink: Post your aux. lighting setups with any pertinent information on types of lights used, mounting & wiring solutions, etc.

I'll start this off with my prototype aluminum lightbar from Primitive Racing. Two Hella FF1000 driving lights up top and a pair of FF200 fogs down below.

See less See more
#506 · (Edited)
Updated my bar mounted aux reverse lights with some 18w CREE LED units. (3w x 6 LEDs)

Holy mother of brightness. They are brighter than most car headlights. I'll try to get a good night shot with them.

I'll be painting the mounting bracket soon so it will match.

Attachments

#507 ·
Those backup lights are freakin sweet. I have been toying with that idea, since I have some small ones mounted above my license plate on my S2000 that i use to um, "remind" people to turn off their brights when they are behind me.

And you (thebeephaha) replied to me a while ago about my LED driving lamps behind my grille... here is a link to them...
Super Bright 27W High Power LED Work Light for Truck SUV Off-Road

#508 ·
I suggest you put each of your back-up lites on a separate switch and aim them appropriately. The first switch for very near ground behind you and the second at a higher dispersal range.

I found a 'gentle', low directed lite,(Plan A) reminder worked majority of time on my Kenworth. The second higher directed rear lite (Plan B) was for the true a$$ whole.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far" T. Roosevelt

#511 ·
Here's mine! I just finished building the bar late last night. Paint is drying on it right now! But I snapped some pictures before I removed it this morning. Very similar design to Mathew's above, actually used his thread as inspiration and just did my own spin on it. Also the Hella 700s. My main difference is I wanted a bolt on bar in front of the grill so we can remove the lights easily when we travel or park in sketchy places. That way we can remove them and toss them in the locked car or bring them inside and dirty thieves won't steal them. I also used different materials.

#514 ·
Just ordered a Rigid Industries 10 inch SPECTER LED driving light bar.

Snake Racing online store Australia - Shop for Trick Off Road Componentry for your 4x4, 4WD vehicle

After totting up the cost of fitting a light/bull/nudge bar and some decent HIDs it was getting ridiculous, so this little monster is a relative bargain seeing as don't need to buy anything else to mount it.

Boy I researched this for days and I reckon this little bar is awesome. And it's small enough to mount on my Triumph touring bike, which will certainly be useful for long trips.

Here's a youtube clip of it in action: (Edit sorry wrong link)

http://youtu.be/6UdlpZA6NW8

#515 ·
Primitive or Rally Innovations?!

I am going to put a bar and light on my car this summer....I'm looking for pros and cons about the Rally Innovations bar and the Primitive Racing Bar (the one you need the skid plate for).

I have a MY06 non turbo!

Thanks!

#517 ·
I am going to put a bar and light on my car this summer....I'm looking for pros and cons about the Rally Innovations bar and the Primitive Racing Bar (the one you need the skid plate for).

I have a MY06 non turbo!

Thanks!
I have the Rally Innovations front bar, love, but did not love their mounting system. So i just ordered a raw bar from them, painted it myself with bed liner spray, and mounted mine directly to my subframe (I drilled a hole on each side through the subframe, and dropped a bolt through it. Best (and most flush) was to mount it, and it doesn't move or shake either!

#516 ·
06-08 guys, those of you who've doe the "hehind the grill lightbar", could you post dimensions of the bar with all mounts?

I need to put a pair of Hella 1000s, but don't have a welder, so will have to ask someone fab one for me, and need measurements

#522 ·
SJ XT vision X lightbar install

Hi!

I just installed a new lightbar on my XT last night. Nothing but pleased with the result!! Just as discrete as i wanted and a nice uppgrade to the HID high beams.

Automotive exterior Vehicle Bumper Car Grille

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Grille Automotive exterior

It´s a Vision X Prime Horizon 90W bar. Fits like a glove after a few adjustments to the bracket...:yell:

#526 · (Edited)
Hi All.

Thinking about trying to install these in the factory locations on my '14 2.5i:

VISION X ROUND 60 DEGREE OPTIMUS LED LIGHT KIT. TWO LIGHTS AND INSTALL KIT. XIL-OPR160KIT - Vision X Wholesale

This is the cheapest I've seen these particular units...

I was wondering if anyone else has owned a VisionX brand LED lamp for awhile? If you have, what is the performance like? Do you feel it was a sound investment? Are they too bright / wide of a beam to use as fogs w/low beams?

Also, Spiddelito, I really like the led light bar behind the bumper!

Any info is appreciated... Cheers! :Banane35:

#531 ·
Beware the H9 for H11 bulb substitution

While searching for a more effective low beam bulb for a 2010 Forester I found numerous posts indicating success with exchanging the H9 for the stock H11. The CandlePower forum moderator and Daniel Stern both strongly advised not to make such substitution indicating in this vehicle and others the H9 produces an unsafe and illegal amount of glare as a low beam bulb.

#533 ·
Just got my Hella Black Magics!! I will either use the custom brackets that I made or I just met a guy who owns a fabrication shop...who loves Foresters, has a 2009, and will be making custom skidplates and lightbars for SH owners!! So, I might use his product...

Anyone have a suggestion where to route the wiring through the firewall on a 2011 Foz? Or a 2009-2013 for that matter?

Thanks!

#540 ·
since you have an automatic, look at the driver side firewall you will see an elongated oval rubber grommet, poke a hole through that grommet and look above the gas pedal on the inside of the car, you will see where the wire will enter the passenger compartment and that is the easiest way to install wiring from the engine bay to the interior.

#537 ·
The RI bars are direct bolt on AFTER you remove the front tie-down brackets.

I have adapted my RI brackets to be the front mount points for my home made skid plate.

If you go ahead with RI, replace the allen head bolts they give you with just regular bolts, as the ones they provide are a ***** to remove once rusty.

#541 ·
I do not think you have to remove the front tie-down brackets. I have seen no mention of this. Anyone with more info on it?

since you have an automatic, look at the driver side firewall you will see an elongated oval rubber grommet, poke a hole through that grommet and look above the gas pedal on the inside of the car, you will see where the wire will enter the passenger compartment and that is the easiest way to install wiring from the engine bay to the interior.
Thanks! I figured I would come across one like this, but it is great to have a recommendation! Thanks!

#542 ·
They mistakenly sent me the brackets for the newer chassis (I'm not familiar with anything newer than SF) but they didn't fit despite much swearing. I contacted RI and they sent me the correct brackets but required a touch of drilling because they made the bar by hand it seems, thus things were lined up once during manufacturing.

tl;dr - you remove the tie downs up front. The bar itself is the same between models

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.