Subaru Forester Owners Forum - View Single Post - ('09-'13) Synthetic oil "not recommended" in a 2010 Fozzie???
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Loscaldazar
Super Moderator

Car Year: 03
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: 5 MT
Gallery: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekDaniel View Post
I bought a 2010 NA 60k miles switched to synthetic now above my oil pan on the driver sign is seeping oil :( have had syn for about 2 k and noticed unusual consumption stick to reg oil and change oil a lil more frequently

I am putting non synthetic back in and praying this stops :(

yes old post but real life experience. maybe mech had known of others were this happened... is it really worth rolling the dice for a couple thousand more miles??
Synthetic doesn't cause oil leaks or consumption. Plain and simple.

The only way a synthetic oil can "cause" an oil leak, is if your engine is so gummed up and had leaks plugged by that sludge, then the synthetic cleaned out the sludge and now you have leaks.

As far as the consumption, I would wonder what the volatility rating of that synthetic was. My 03 ran 70,000 miles on Dino oil, and then I switched to Synthetic at 75,000 miles and noticed a bunch of consumption. It was because the volatility rating on the oil was poor. Switched to Amsoil 100% synthetic and no consumption or leaks. That was 10 years of Dino and then no problem with synthetic.