Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Towing Camper Trailer

('09-'13) 
6K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  crewzer 
#1 ·
Hello all,
Was planning on pulling a 1750 pound trailer on a 2000 mile road trip between northern California and Southern Utah. I would be traveling with my wife and our 2 year old (about 240 pounds, all three of us) as well as with gear for all of us (about 250 pounds, on roof rack). My Forester is a 2011 non-turbo with manual transmission. The camper trailer does have electric trailer brakes. Our expectation is to take it slow and cover about 325 miles a day. Definitely stop-and-smell-the-slickrock pace.

Am I nuts? The rating for 2400 tow capacity seems fine here, but every trailer I see on the road today is being pulled by something this side of a monster truck. I've not looked in gross volume weight yet, so any insights there would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

#2 ·
I has been awhile...

Since I looked(it is in the manual)...

But the GCWR is just north of 6000 pounds(6200 I think)...

So, if you deduct 1750 from 6000, you end up with 4250.

Take the curb weight(approximately 3300) out of the 4250 and you have 950 pounds of "you, gas, luggage"...

As long as you don't go ABOVE the GAWR or the GCWR you are fine.

And no, the GCWR is not GVWR+2400=whatever that is...

Anyway

GAWR is on the door sill of the car, along with the GVWR.
GCWR is in the owners manual.

#3 ·
Was planning on pulling a 1750 pound trailer on a 2000 mile road trip between northern California and Southern Utah.
Is 1,750 lbs the loaded trailer's actual scale weight, or is the manufacturer's weight for an empty trailer with no accessories?

Which route? If I-80, California's Donner Summit is at >7K feet in elevation. Elevations in Nevada will typically be in the 5K - 6K foot range, and you'll see similar elevations in Utah.

In general, figure on 20% - 25% peak horsepower reduction in these areas. This power reduction will affect the Forester's ability to accelerate and to tow up grades.

Towing is severe service; check your maintenance guide for applicable maintenance requirements.

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.