Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

3rd Annual NorCal Meet - May 13, 2006

20K views 235 replies 25 participants last post by  Roo 
#1 · (Edited)
Is it too early to start planning? :wink: We're looking to follow mostly the same (but slightly improved) format as last year with a gathering & dinner the night before for those visiting from out-of-town, and a drive the next day.

There will be two groups:

1. Touring and Tasting group - we will start in Petaluma and have a pleasant drive, occasional stops at wineries, a lunch break to refresh, and an enjoyable tour of the Napa and Sonoma valleys ending at Lake Sonoma near Healdsburg at a BBQ location.

2. Drivers Group - starts in Petaluma as well, but at a separate "launch point". Not for the faint of heart, the weak of stomach, or people who believe they are driving fast when they're @ or below the speed limit.

This will be an enjoyable quick-paced tour. There will be basic stops for fuel at predetermined locations, a short lunch break (read 30 minutes or less), and a LOT of backroads to be explored. The route itself is still being planned out for the least travelled roads in Northern California including Marin, Sonoma, and Mendocino Counties. This will be for those of you NOT concerned about expending a little fuel while having fun. Because of this, there will be NO STOPS FOR WINE TASTING!! Also, because of safety concerns, please no children (I'll relate the story behind that, if you want to hear it) in the Driver Group.

The drivers group will end at the same park for the BBQ, hopefully not too far ahead/behind of the touring group.

There will be a $10/person charge to cover the catered BBQ and park fees to help offset the costs.

BTW, this IS open to Subarus of different varieties, but we are catering to the Foresters, SVX's and the Legacies in particular.

So far we have:
  • GeorgeofSacramento - touring
  • The Wraith ?? - drivers
  • silverghost - touring
  • Jackhammerhb - goat trail runner
  • ferretboy - turbo smackdown artist
  • eltobol (Chris & Lorena) - touring
  • keyser soze - marathon drivers
  • Cisko - drivers
  • Eclipse - drivers
  • Elmhurst - touring
  • Northwest Tan - drivers
  • pieboy - drivers
  • RallySTI - drivers
  • SKSTI - drivers

Please feel free to post here if you want to be added, or if plans change.

BTW, for those of you who want a hotel room for Friday/Saturday nights, please let us know early. We're planning on starting the meet around 8am, and after 7-8 hours of driving, you may want to consider a hotel for the night before, and the night of the event, so you don't have too much driving to do afterward.

If you need a hotel room, Roo has set aside a block of rooms at the Inn Marin in Novato at a $99 special rate. Simply call and tell them that you have a group code. The code is: SUBU, and that code will get you in at the group rate.

(www.innmarin.com)

See less See more
#3 ·
That date works for me. Looking forward to it.

#6 ·
The Wraith said:
This is just about the same time as my birthday... Maybe I should take the time off from work and roll up for this. :idea:
Just not sure if my X can keep up with all those XTs...? :oops:
I bet my birthday is closer to the date... :wink: :lol: :lol:

Oh, wait...it IS on my birthday!! WOOHOO!!! Come on guys, coming out to this event would be the most awesome birthday present!! Just showing up to this is a present enough for me!!

#7 ·
The Wraith said:
Just not sure if my X can keep up with all those XTs...? :oops:
Of course it can! There were lots of NA's last year, and ferretboy didn't have any trouble keeping up with the XT's even in the fast group. The roads are twisty enough that straight line speed is pretty meaningless. :wink:

#8 ·
I'd also like to hear any suggestions or ideas you guys might have, places or sights you would like to see included on the drive, etc. So far nothing is etched in stone as far as the itinerary goes. I thought it might be nice to take the touring group into a completely different direction this time, maybe into the Napa Valley?

#12 ·
NahdaDamdyke said:
pleiad7 said:
Also, i'll go as long as Roo doesn't handle my meet. Pun intended.
I'll just simply send you down the trail toward the Wohler bridge (local hangout for "butchers" of a sort)...

:wink: :wink:

and since you're NahdaDamdyke, that would make you a ....butcher?????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

G
#14 ·
I would love to do this again, had a blast last year and am hoping to bring my son this year. He just got his learners permit so I have a designated driver for the dinner the night before, Yayyyyy. Keep us posted.

#18 ·
I am up for the off road. Where are you thinking we could go?

#19 ·
I'd probably recommend going over Cow Mtn. east of Ukiah, then coming back on the Old Toll Rd. from Highland Springs park over the Hopland grade, and back into Hopland.

:D

We can do the off-road option sometime in March if you'd like...

#21 ·
I know that area well. That would make for a really good run. Plus we could stop at the hopland brewery on the way back. I would even be willing to come up with a course and map if needed. Anyone up for a pretrip test run in the near future?

#22 · (Edited)
mikeyfireman said:
I know that area well. That would make for a really good run. Plus we could stop at the hopland brewery on the way back. I would even be willing to come up with a course and map if needed. Anyone up for a pretrip test run in the near future?
That'd be fun!

Roo and I are going to mull over some maps for the May meet this weekend to get an idea for the routes. Let us know if you'd like to come over and help... we could have a pizza party/meet planning event or something. Curt, you too, if you have the time/inclination...

#23 ·
I will go by the office in ukiah and grab a cow mountain map. Let me know when you want to ge together. Sunday maybe?

#25 ·
Okay guys. We need to get this thing organized. I posted over on the Legacy boards, and so far we have 8 Legacies joining our little run. They might be bringing a few WRX's to this shindig. We have to represent, guys!!

So far, I only have the SoCal committee on board. BTW, for all you SoCal guys, I'm setting up a group block at the hotel where I work. I'll let you in on all the details in the next few days.

( www.innmarin.com )

It's in Novato, and this year, we're starting in Petaluma. The night before, we're going to hopefully schedule our dinner at the restaurant on premises of the hotel.

Early start this time, so the Driver's Group can really hit the roads we missed last year.

#26 ·
For those needing a hotel room....

Call the Inn Marin.

Mention "Subaru Weekend Drive", and the rate is $99 per night, with two night Fri./Sat. minimum. Sorry I couldn't do better, but there's a Challenge event at Infineon that weekend, and since we're one of the closest hotels, we're always slammed.

The hotel number: 800.652.6565

MAKE SURE TO MENTION "Subaru Weekend Drive" or "Greg's Subaru Meet"...since I work there, they'll get the message.

Those staying at the hotel won't have to chip in for the BBQ, though. Your tickets will be given to you upon check-in.

I have currently held 5 King bed and 3 (2) double bed rooms for this event. They will set aside more rooms if more rooms are needed, however. The pricing for the group closes on 10 April, so get your reservations in early for best room selection.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.